|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Laura's unexpressed desperation?
(a) He belief that she will never live like Mrs. Dalloway.
(b) Her sorrows are ordinary and she knows it.
(c) Her realization that Richie will grow up to be gay.
(d) She feels trapped forever in an ordinary life.
2. How has Laura set the table?
(a) With a set of white place-mats.
(b) With a batik cloth she bought in Bali.
(c) With a serviceable oilcloth.
(d) With a starched white cloth.
3. What does the unusual light in Richard's apartment reveal?
(a) The way the illness has ravaged his face and body.
(b) That he really needs to fire his cleaning lady.
(c) The flaws and smallness of his life's detritus.
(d) His astonishing taste in art.
4. What is unusual about Clarissa and Sally?
(a) One is an artist and the other is a stock-broker.
(b) They dislike each other, but stay together in order not to lose face.
(c) They are a couple who never fight.
(d) Their relationship has laster twenty-seven years.
5. What is implied about Richmond station's yellow wooden benches?
(a) They are hard.
(b) They are necessary and appreciated by travelers.
(c) They are attractive.
(d) They are comfortable.
6. Where would Clarissa like her ashes to be scattered?
(a) In her own garden.
(b) Wherever Richard's are scattered.
(c) Over the lake in Central Park.
(d) On the big dune at Wellfleet.
7. Why can't Laura take the sleeping pills?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) They are past use-by date.
(c) They are too strong.
(d) She feels guilty.
8. What prompts Laura's fury?
(a) Dan being unable to blow out the candles.
(b) Dan being off-hand with Richie.
(c) Dan secretly laughing at Laura's efforts.
(d) Dan's spittle on the cake.
9. What is the very long chapter in Richard's novel concerned with?
(a) A woman shopping for nail polish.
(b) The uses of sandpaper.
(c) A meditation over the breaking of an egg.
(d) A woman giving birth.
10. What jewelry is Laura wearing?
(a) An ivory pendant.
(b) Three ivory bangles.
(c) Gold chains and rings.
(d) An ivory bangle.
11. What can Laura see out of the hotel window?
(a) Cars on a freeway.
(b) A V-shaped plaza with a fountain.
(c) A statue of Christ.
(d) A row of shops and a fountain.
12. In what way does Oliver intend this film to be different?
(a) The hero will be a tortured gay man with HIV.
(b) The hero will be an uncomplicated gay man.
(c) The hero will be an alien.
(d) The hero will die in the end.
13. How many times will Clarissa Dalloway have kissed a woman?
(b) On many occasions.
14. How much of her book has Laura now read?
(a) More than a third of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) Three quarters of it.
(d) Half of it.
15. Why does Clarissa imagine Julia despises her?
(a) For depriving her of a father.
(b) For her love for Richard.
(c) For her dislike of Mary.
(d) For her intolerance of smoking.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she drives, in what does Laura find consolation?
2. What does Nelly bring from London?
3. What is Louis' profession?
4. To Clarissa, what does Mary resemble?
5. What has made Richard feel wonderful?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)