|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What world does Laura feel she now inhabits?
(a) A holistic zone of healing.
(b) A twilight world of Los Angeles smog.
(c) A world away from the mundane.
(d) A twilight zone of London in the twenties.
2. When she has to choose, what does Laura do?
(a) She drives into Los Angeles.
(b) She heads off back the way she came.
(c) She drives to Pasadena.
(d) She drives along the Pasadena Freeway.
3. What battle has been won?
(a) Virginia's tussle with Nelly.
(b) Leonard's campaign to move to London.
(d) Virginia's campaign to move to London.
4. Which character does Julia describe as strange?
5. What is the devil Virginia refers to?
(a) Her madness.
(b) The man with the satchell.
(d) Her writer's block.
6. What does Laura feel herself to be?
(a) Ghostlike: a presence that perceives.
(b) Airy: like a wandering wisp of wind.
(c) Ungrateful and guilty.
(d) Loving and dutiful.
7. What is Louis' profession?
(a) He is a drama teacher.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a travel agent.
(d) He is an actor.
8. As she drives, in what does Laura find consolation?
(a) That the car is clean.
(b) The impeccable way she has organized things.
(c) That her earrings match her bracelet.
(d) That she has remembered to bring her book.
9. What preoccupies Virginia?
(a) The price of children's coats in Harrods.
(b) The fate of 'Clarissa' in her novel.
(c) Leonard's worry over her.
(d) The train time-table.
10. What will haunt Clarissa's life?
(a) Her fear of flowers.
(b) Her fear of suicide.
(c) The memory of the kiss.
(d) Her fear of being a lesbian.
11. What is the toothbrush-holder made of?
(d) Stainless steel.
12. What is the cause of Mary's emotional distress?
(a) She is upset by her encounter with Clarissa.
(b) She knows Julia will never love her the way she needs.
(c) She is afraid Clarissa will steal Julia away from her.
(d) The trauma of going shopping and having to face sales clerks.
13. What prompts Laura's fury?
(a) Dan's spittle on the cake.
(b) Dan secretly laughing at Laura's efforts.
(c) Dan being off-hand with Richie.
(d) Dan being unable to blow out the candles.
14. From the description at the beginning of this chapter, what would be a good word to use to describe Walter Hardy's expression?
15. What do both Clarissa and Louis notice about each other?
(a) That each is nervous for Richard.
(b) The extent of their aging in five years.
(c) That each is well-preserved for their age.
(d) That each has has plastic surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Laura desire?
2. What does Richard call death?
3. What does Richie sense he and his father might have in common?
4. What does Richard's empty chair reveal?
5. What is important about the imagery of the squirrel's tail?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)