|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Laura's unexpressed desperation?
(a) She feels trapped forever in an ordinary life.
(b) Her sorrows are ordinary and she knows it.
(c) Her realization that Richie will grow up to be gay.
(d) He belief that she will never live like Mrs. Dalloway.
2. What does Richie sense he and his father might have in common?
(a) The need to be strong and withstand Laura's pressures.
(b) A love of the arts.
(c) The need for emotional stability in their lives, as embodied by Laura.
(d) Restlessness and a feeling of dislocation.
3. What does Laura intend to do in the hotel room?
(a) Read Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Read Mrs Dalloway.
(c) Commit suicide.
4. What is unusual about Clarissa and Sally?
(a) They dislike each other, but stay together in order not to lose face.
(b) One is an artist and the other is a stock-broker.
(c) Their relationship has laster twenty-seven years.
(d) They are a couple who never fight.
5. To Clarissa, what does Mary resemble?
(a) A glamor-puss.
(b) An Amazon.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A feral child.
6. Who wears gold-rimmed glasses?
(b) Oliver St. Ives.
(d) Walter Hardy.
7. What is implied about Richmond station's yellow wooden benches?
(a) They are hard.
(b) They are attractive.
(c) They are comfortable.
(d) They are necessary and appreciated by travelers.
8. What is little Richie's response to his mother's return?
(a) He tells her to come back later when he has finished his game.
(b) He is overwhelmed with love and relief.
(c) He's annoyed because he's been having a fine time playing and wanted this to continue.
(d) He is frightened.
9. What does Nelly bring from London?
(a) China tea and digestive biscuits.
(b) Jasmine tea and melting moments.
(c) China tea and sugared ginger.
(d) A child's coat from Harrods.
10. What does Richard call death?
(a) ''The black silence'.
(b) 'The scary monster'.
(c) 'The black evil'.
(d) 'The green silence'.
11. How many times will Clarissa Dalloway have kissed a woman?
(b) On many occasions.
12. How has Laura set the table?
(a) With a set of white place-mats.
(b) With a batik cloth she bought in Bali.
(c) With a starched white cloth.
(d) With a serviceable oilcloth.
13. What does London mean to Virginia?
(c) Crowds and complications.
14. As she drives, in what does Laura find consolation?
(a) That the car is clean.
(b) That her earrings match her bracelet.
(c) That she has remembered to bring her book.
(d) The impeccable way she has organized things.
15. What is the devil Virginia refers to?
(b) Her madness.
(c) Her writer's block.
(d) The man with the satchell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is important about the imagery of the squirrel's tail?
2. What is the toothbrush-holder made of?
3. What will haunt Clarissa's life?
4. Where will Laura put her robe?
5. What does Richard's empty chair reveal?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)