|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word 'emanate' mean?
(a) To become important.
(b) To persuade people to join a religion.
(c) To flow from a source.
(d) To raise higher.
2. What worrying symptoms does she think about?
(a) Hearing the devil speak to her.
(b) Having headaches and giddiness.
(c) Hearing voices and having headaches.
(d) Hearing sparrows singing in Latin.
3. In what way does Laura think she is similar to Virginia Woolf?
(a) She has a big nose, and so does Virginia.
(b) She has a husband who doesn't quite understand her.
(c) She thinks she has a touch of the same brilliance.
(d) She thinks both of them could arrange flowers beautifully.
4. What information does Nelly give Virginia?
(a) That she will resign.
(b) That she needs to go up to London.
(c) That she is making a lamb pie for lunch.
(d) That she is making shepherd's pie for lunch.
5. How does Virginia feel around servants?
(a) At ease. They know their place.
(c) Secretive and guilty.
(d) Weak and fumbling.
6. In what season of the year does this part of the story take place?
7. In her suicide note, what impression does Virginia give of her marriage?
(a) That it was too confronting.
(b) That it was happy and loving.
(c) That it was a sham.
(d) That it could never have worked.
8. Why does Richard burn incense?
(a) As part of a religious ritual.
(b) To cover smells of garlic in the kitchen.
(c) He finds the fragrance helps his poetry.
(d) To cover the smells of his illness.
9. What does Laura tell Richie she will do today?
(a) Make sure the white roses are looked after.
(b) Water the garden.
(c) Let Richie help with baking a cake.
(d) Make Dan the best-ever birthday cake.
10. What troubles Laura about Richie?
(a) His tendency to be silent.
(b) His cough.
(c) His sensitiveness and delicacy.
(d) His fear of birds.
11. How early are Vanessa and the children for their expected visit?
(a) Four hours.
(b) About an hour and a half.
(c) Two and a half hours.
(d) Half an hour.
12. How many words has Virginia written in this session?
(a) Two hundred and ninety.
(b) Two hundred and fifty.
(c) A thousand.
(d) Two hundred.
13. What worries Leonard about Virginia's behavior?
(a) She is unable to work.
(b) She is relying too much on coffee and alcohol.
(c) She is being rude to Nelly.
(d) She is refusing to eat.
14. Which character does Virginia wish to avoid?
15. For how long does Clarissa wait in the hope of seeing the famous film star?
(a) She doesn't wait around at all.
(b) Twelve minutes.
(c) Nearly a quarter of an hour.
(d) Nearly ten minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will prompt Dan to say: 'Get a load of this'?
2. What does Leonard intend to do when he goes upstairs?
3. Where is Clarissa when Willie Bass sees her?
4. What does the word 'ubiquitous' tell us about the Jack Russell terriers.
5. What species of bird is mentioned as this chapter draws to a close?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)