|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clarissa think we ought first to measure people?
(a) By their kindness and capacity for devotion.
(b) By their moral strength and religious devotions.
(c) By their kindness and ability to be strong when needed.
(d) By the strength of their devotion and their commitment to art.
2. What does the word 'ubiquitous' tell us about the Jack Russell terriers.
(a) That they are noisy little pests and many people object to them.
(b) That they are big dogs that many people own.
(c) That they have become very common. Lots of people seem to have them.
(d) That they are really small dogs.
3. What is a sarcophagus?
(a) A sarcastic Greek.
(b) A person who eats flesh.
(c) A stone coffin.
(d) A kind of bone cancer.
4. What color does not look well on Sally?
5. What color is Laura's gown?
(a) Pale aqua.
(b) A soft green.
6. What is interesting about Richard's lungs?
(a) They are the only organs to have been touched by the virus.
(b) Their capacity is small.
(c) They are unusually powerful.
(d) The virus has not harmed them.
7. Where is Clarissa when Willie Bass sees her?
(a) On the corner of Fifth Avenue and East 90th Street.
(b) On the corner of Eighth Avenue and King Boulevarde.
(c) On the corner of Eighth Street and Fifth Avenue.
(d) On the corner of Eighth Street and Park Avenue
8. What does writing, when inspired, give to Virginia?
(a) A kind of madness.
(b) A sense of timelessness.
(d) Profound satisfaction.
9. What can Leonard not easily distinguish?
(a) The difference between a setback and a tragedy.
(b) The difference between red, green and brown.
(c) The difference between roman and italic type.
(d) Virginia's normal behavior and her madness.
10. How does Virginia get along with her neighbors?
(a) Sometimes they clash, but on the whole they get on well.
(b) She can't stand them because they never paint their shutters.
(c) They are good friends and look out for each other.
(d) She doesn't. She doesn't know them.
11. What is it that Clarissa suddenly doesn't have any more?
(a) Her desire to visit Richard.
(b) Her flowers.
(c) Her will to live.
(d) Her grey alpaca jacket.
12. Where is this chapter set?
(a) New York in 1994.
(b) Richmond-on-Thames, 1941.
(c) A London suburb in the year 1923.
(d) A london suburb in 1941.
13. What does Virginia imagine appearing as a jellyfish?
(a) Her anger towards Nelly.
(b) Her headache.
(c) A character in Mrs Dalloway.
14. What is disturbing Laura?
(a) She's experiencing an upset stomach and feels embarrassed.
(b) She is experiencing a strange fear that her pregnancy will go wrong.
(c) She's experiencing a dreamlike feeling that she cannot shake.
(d) She is experiencing a sudden aversion to her husband and child.
15. What does Virginia fear?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Virginia doing as she muses?
2. What does Leonard worship above all else?
3. What will prompt Dan to say: 'Get a load of this'?
4. For how long does Clarissa wait in the hope of seeing the famous film star?
5. What information does Nelly give Virginia?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)