|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sally is her lover, but who is Clarissa's truest friend?
2. What is the woman under the arch doing?
(b) Sniffing a huge bunch of flowers.
(d) Looking for tricks.
3. Why does Clarissa take the stairs?
(a) She recognizes the need to keep fit.
(b) She fears being trapped in the elevator.
(c) The exercise energizes her.
(d) The elevator smells bad.
4. What does Laura think might be a little foolish?
(a) Scrimping to buy the cheapest flour.
(b) Spending so much of the day on making a cake.
(c) Comparing her cake with a great work or art or architecture.
(d) Comparing her cake to what she has seen in magazines.
5. What is Virginia doing as she muses?
(a) Walking in the streets of Richmond.
(b) Working at Hogarth Press.
(c) Having a bath.
(d) Sitting at her desk during a writing session.
6. What is a sarcophagus?
(a) A sarcastic Greek.
(b) A person who eats flesh.
(c) A kind of bone cancer.
(d) A stone coffin.
7. Who is Ralph?
(a) Virginia's eldest son.
(b) Leonard's assistant.
(c) Leonard's boyfriend.
(d) Leonard's brother.
8. What can Virginia feel inside herself?
(a) A parallel, purer self--like a soul.
(b) A black, evil soul.
(c) Hunger--both to eat and to write.
(d) A cancer growing aggressively.
9. How does Virginia feel around servants?
(a) At ease. They know their place.
(b) Weak and fumbling.
(c) Secretive and guilty.
10. How many planes does Virginia see above her?
11. Which character does Virginia wish to avoid?
12. What can Leonard not easily distinguish?
(a) The difference between red, green and brown.
(b) Virginia's normal behavior and her madness.
(c) The difference between a setback and a tragedy.
(d) The difference between roman and italic type.
13. What is the problem with the faces of George Washington?
(a) They don't quite match.
(b) They have been destroyed by weather.
(c) They have inappropriate expressions.
(d) One is missing its nose and the other is eroded.
14. What is interesting about Richard's lungs?
(a) Their capacity is small.
(b) They are unusually powerful.
(c) The virus has not harmed them.
(d) They are the only organs to have been touched by the virus.
15. What annoys Leonard?
(a) Virginia's not finishing her writing.
(b) Ralph's poetry.
(c) The errors he finds on the proof pages.
(d) Barbara's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor turns Virginia into 'a fantastic figure'?
2. Where does Virginia's body finally come to rest?
3. What does Virginia put in the pocket of her cardigan?
4. How does Clarissa regard herself?
5. Who is described as being foreign-looking, with a Roman nose?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)