|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What breed of dog is mentioned in this chapter?
(c) Chow Chow.
(d) Old English sheepdog.
2. Where is Walter Hardy heading?
(a) For Washington Square Park.
(b) For Prince Street station.
(c) For Madison Square Garden.
(d) For Central Park.
3. When did Vanessa last visit?
(a) A week ago.
(b) More than two weeks ago.
(c) The previous day.
(d) More than a week ago.
4. When does Virginia say a person feels free to do anything?
(a) When one lives in permissive times.
(b) In old age.
(c) When one has reached maturity.
(d) In the brief time when one is young.
5. What will prompt Dan to say: 'Get a load of this'?
(a) Seeing the expensive shirt and tie Clarissa has bought for him.
(b) Seeing how wonderfully clean and tidy the house is.
(c) Seeing Richie all dressed up for the occasion.
(d) Seeing the cake Clarissa has made for him.
6. What is the age difference between Virginia and Vanessa?
(a) They are twins: Vanessa is half an hour older.
(b) Vanessa is three years older.
(c) Virginia is three years older.
(d) Virginia is two years older.
7. What is the woman under the arch doing?
(a) Looking for tricks.
(d) Sniffing a huge bunch of flowers.
8. What does Clarissa say might be a good omen?
(a) Buying the flowers.
(b) Opening Richard's room to light.
(c) Not catching the elevator to Richard's apartment.
(d) Catching a glimpse of a movie star.
9. What does Laura think of the shadow of the passing bird?
(a) She is briefly, deeply pleased by it.
(b) She is indifferent to it.
(c) She thinks of how it represents freedom.
(d) She is briefly alarmed by it.
10. What has appeared in the window-box of the woman next door?
(a) A dandelion.
(c) A single gerbera.
(d) A rose.
11. How old was Richard when he and Clarissa argued?
12. Which novel is Laura Brown reading?
(a) Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
(b) Virginia Woolf by Vanessa Bell
(c) Mrs Dalloway by Vanessa Albee
(d) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf by Edward Albee
13. What does Clarissa urge Richard to do?
(a) Throw out his smelly old chair.
(b) Not to regret anything because he has done a lot.
(c) Look into the past for answers.
(d) Not to finish his current book, but to enjoy the tie he has left.
14. For whom does Virginia leave notes?
(a) Richard and Clarissa.
(b) Vanessa and Clarissa
(c) Leonard and Vanessa.
(d) Leonard and Clarissa.
15. What is the overall impression of the building Richard lives in?
(a) Vibrant, given the flourishing ficus.
(b) Elegant, especially the paintwork.
(d) Squalid, given the state of the vestibule.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Kitty's husband during the War?
2. What is the neighbors' garage made of?
3. What does Leonard worship above all else?
4. Why is Laura disappointed?
5. How does Clarissa think we ought first to measure people?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)