|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are all of the monkeys euthanized?
2. When Nancy and Jerry Jaax get promotions, where do they both end up working?
3. What does Tom Geisbert think has infected his cells after looking at them through the electron microscope?
4. About how many cells does each slice of the sample Tom Geisbert makes with the diamond knife contain?
5. How many biocontainment levels are in USAMRIID?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Peter Jahrling's and Gene Johnson's offices.
2. How does Nancy Jaax's hobby help her confidence?
3. What is veterinary pathology?
4. Describe "third spacing".
5. How does Preston distinguish parasites from predators?
6. Why is Dan Dalgard uneasy at the end of Part 2 Chapter 4?
7. What are Geisbert's electron microscope photographs definitive proof of?
8. What is the military and political crisis that Peters worries about?
9. What does Nancy Jaax do in Gene Johnson's lab?
10. Why is Nancy angry with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Nairobi Hospital where Monet crashed and bled out. Compare and contrast it with hospitals in the United States. What does this tell you about the difference between health care in the United States and in less-developed countries?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the Rift Valley in the evolution and development of humans? How have environmental changes in this area of the world possibly contributed to the spread of disease? What, if anything, can be done to reverse these trends?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Charles Monet, Peter Cardinal, Mr. Yu G., and P.G. What is similar in their characters and what is different? How do these similarities and differences affect their fates? How does it affect how they become infected in the first place? Explain why you think Preston chose each of these characters for case studies in the book.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)