|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other disease does Peters suggest Jahrling test the sample for?
(c) Simian hemorrhagic fever.
2. When Peters travels to exotic locales, what does he enjoy doing?
(a) Eating whatever the locals eat.
(b) Meeting the local health professionals.
(c) Learning the local dialect.
(d) Finding the best local herbal remedies.
3. Where was the headquarters of Gene Johnson's Kitum Cave expedition?
(a) Peter Cardinal's parents' home.
(b) The Mount Elgon Lodge.
(c) The Kenya Medical Research Institute.
(d) Nairobi Hospital.
4. What does the word "filovirus" mean in Latin?
(a) Harmless virus.
(b) Ring virus.
(c) Deadly virus.
(d) Thread virus.
5. What is Tom Geisbert's job at the Institute?
(b) Security guard.
(c) Director of Veterinary Pathology.
(d) Electron microscope operator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the colony manger at the Reston Monkey House?
2. Who did Peter Cardinal spend most of his time with while he was on vacation?
3. What are the classic signs of Ebola in all primates?
4. What are "inclusion bodies"?
5. Who picked up the sample of Peter Cardinal's blood in Washington, DC?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Preston distinguish parasites from predators?
2. Why is it not in the best interest of a virus to kill its host?
3. What is the military and political crisis that Peters worries about?
4. Why is Nancy angry with her father?
5. Why doesn't Johnson's Kitum Cave expedition study large animals such as leopards or elephants?
6. How does the mixing of monkey species relate to the idea of HIV's origin?
7. Why did Ebola Zaire affect mainly women?
8. What irritates and concerns Peter Jahrling about the samples that Dan Dalgard sends him?
9. Describe the behavior of the weaverbirds on page 5. What about their behavior would make them interesting to an epidemiologist?
10. What is veterinary pathology?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)