|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do elephants travel into Kitum Cave?
(a) To find water.
(b) To get salt.
(c) To have their babies.
(d) To escape poachers.
2. How many biocontainment levels are in USAMRIID?
3. What are viruses made of?
(b) Oxygen and hydrogen.
(d) DNA or RNA.
4. What does it mean to put a sample "in the beam"?
(a) To spin it in a centrifuge.
(b) To cut it in half.
(c) To look at it through a light microscope.
(d) To look at it through an electron microscope.
5. How many children does Nancy Jaax have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first symptom after being exposed to a filovirus?
2. What does Jahrling tell Dalgard is "definitely" present in the monkey house?
3. What is the fatality rate of Ebola virus?
4. What did the staff do at the hospital in Maridi that ended the outbreak of Ebola Sudan?
5. Where are the latest monkeys to die being kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nancy Jaax's dilemma as a veterinarian and as a scientist?
2. Why are the workers burning the fields? What impact could this have on the migration of microbes and the biodiversity of an area?
3. What are Geisbert's electron microscope photographs definitive proof of?
4. Why is Nancy angry with her father?
5. Describe the behavior of the weaverbirds on page 5. What about their behavior would make them interesting to an epidemiologist?
6. How does the mixing of monkey species relate to the idea of HIV's origin?
7. Describe the typical shapes of viruses and how Marburg compares to them.
8. What is pseudomonas?
9. Why can't a monkey be autopsied in front of other monkeys?
10. How does Preston distinguish parasites from predators?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)