|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a rongeur used for?
(a) To open skulls.
(b) To sterilize needles.
(c) To disinfect a person's hand.
(d) To euthanize monkeys.
2. Where was the headquarters of Gene Johnson's Kitum Cave expedition?
(a) The Kenya Medical Research Institute.
(b) The Mount Elgon Lodge.
(c) Nairobi Hospital.
(d) Peter Cardinal's parents' home.
3. What are red eyes often a sign of?
4. What is one of the nicknames of USAMRIID?
(a) The Department.
(b) The Fort.
(c) The Institute.
(d) The Maze.
5. Why do elephants travel into Kitum Cave?
(a) To escape poachers.
(b) To find water.
(c) To have their babies.
(d) To get salt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Nancy's father?
2. Why does Nancy's father want to go to Mexico?
3. Who is the first person Dalgard calls after talking to Peter Jahrling?
4. Who is another prime candidate that the scientists fear might break with Marburg?
5. What major metropolitan area is Reston, VA closest to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Johnson's Kitum Cave expedition study large animals such as leopards or elephants?
2. Describe what Tom Geisbert sees in his cell samples.
3. What are sentinel animals used for?
4. Explain how viruses are both considered "alive" and "dead".
5. What irritates and concerns Peter Jahrling about the samples that Dan Dalgard sends him?
6. What does Nancy Jaax do in Gene Johnson's lab?
7. What is unusual about the house where Nancy Jaax lives?
8. How does Nancy Jaax's hobby help her confidence?
9. What is the difference between an electron and a light microscope?
10. What are the results of the three tests that Jahrling runs on the monkey samples?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)