|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fort are Nancy and Jerry Jaax assigned to in the Army?
(a) Fort Detrick.
(b) Fort LeBoeuf.
(c) Fort Dix.
(d) Fort Bragg.
2. Why does Jahrling originally think the samples are NOT Marburg?
(a) The particles are too short.
(b) The particles appear too long.
(c) The particles are loops.
(d) The particles are the wrong color.
3. Why are the villagers of Kasensero famous?
(a) They have found a cure for Ebola.
(b) They are known as smugglers.
(c) They have many doctors there.
(d) Everyone is immune to Marburg virus.
4. What did the staff do at the hospital in Maridi that ended the outbreak of Ebola Sudan?
(a) They all ran off into the bush.
(b) They moved to Zaire.
(c) They got vaccinated.
(d) They consulted local tribal doctors.
5. What major metropolitan area is Reston, VA closest to?
(a) Raleigh, NC.
(b) Baltimore, MD.
(c) Washington, DC.
(d) Richmond, VA.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "hatbox"?
2. Who does Dan Dalgard contact at USAMRIID?
3. What is Peter Jahrling's tentative diagnosis of what is happening to the monkeys?
4. What kind of animal lived on the roof of Peter Cardinal's house?
5. What is Tom Geisbert's job at the Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Johnson's Kitum Cave expedition study large animals such as leopards or elephants?
2. What are the results of the three tests that Jahrling runs on the monkey samples?
3. Describe "third spacing".
4. What does Nancy Jaax do in Gene Johnson's lab?
5. Why is Nancy angry with her father?
6. What are Geisbert's electron microscope photographs definitive proof of?
7. Why are the workers burning the fields? What impact could this have on the migration of microbes and the biodiversity of an area?
8. Why did Ebola Zaire affect mainly women?
9. What irritates and concerns Peter Jahrling about the samples that Dan Dalgard sends him?
10. Why is it not in the best interest of a virus to kill its host?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)