|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jerry tell Elizabeth that Ricardo fathered a child?
2. Why does Jerry hire a colonel to help him find Ricardo?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 13, who does Jerry say Ricardo is getting money from?
4. Why does Jerry buy Candid by Voltaire for Charlie?
5. What does Charlie tell Jerry about his love for Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Guillam suspicious of Sam Collins?
2. What does Ricardo do the Jerry at the end of their meeting?
3. How does Smiley think Drake Ko will bring Nelson to Hong Kong?
4. How does Jerry find Ricardo in Part 2, Chapter 17?
5. What does Smiley do when Jerry reports Collins as watching Elizabeth's apartment?
6. What does Jerry discover at the morgue in Part 2, Chapter 14?
7. Why does the Drug Enforcement Administration visit the Cousins in Part 1, Chapter 12?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 11, why does Smiley begin to have a difficult time with his investigation?
9. Why does Jerry decide to not return to England after meeting with Ricardo?
10. What agreement does Smiley reach with the American agents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the symbolism of transportation in this novel. What do planes, boats and other forms of transportation symbolize? How do these meaning affect the themes and events in "The Honourable Schoolboy"?
Essay Topic 2
What role do women play in "The Honourable Schoolboy"? What is the purpose of women in the novel? What commentary is given on gender roles and gender issues?
Essay Topic 3
How is Elizabeth developed as a character? Consider her introduction compared to her arrest at the end of the novel. What does Elizabeth represent?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)