|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Smiley's investigation around Christmas?
2. What scares Ricardo the most about delivering the opium?
3. While investigating Nelson, what can't di Salis find?
4. What drugs does Ricardo have that interest Smiley's investigation?
5. After having dinner with Elizabeth in Part 2, Chapter 13, who does Jerry see watching her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jerry believe Nelson will land on the island of Po Toi?
2. What happens when Smiley orders Jerry to return to London?
3. While interacting with Elizabeth in Part 2, Chapter 13, how does Jerry feel about her?
4. What does Jerry discover at the morgue in Part 2, Chapter 14?
5. What does Charlie tell Jerry about his relationship with Mr. Tiu?
6. Why does Smiley assume Nelson was going to be smuggled out of China?
7. What does Jerry do with the female reporter in Part 2, Chapter 15?
8. What information does Elizabeth give Jerry about Ricardo in Part 2, Chapter 13?
9. Why does the Drug Enforcement Administration visit the Cousins in Part 1, Chapter 12?
10. What does Ricardo do the Jerry at the end of their meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the conflict between American intelligence and British intelligence played out in "The Honourable Schoolboy"? In what ways is each group superior? What does the ending of the novel do to end the conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What role do women play in "The Honourable Schoolboy"? What is the purpose of women in the novel? What commentary is given on gender roles and gender issues?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use suspense and plot twists to build reader interest? Is the author successful? How do these techniques reflect the themes of the novel?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)