|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out to dinner in Part 2, Chapter 13, what does Elizabeth say about Ricardo?
2. While at Elizabeth's apartment in Part 2, Chapter 19, who does Jerry ask her about?
3. Why does Smiley believe Drake Ko was going to smuggle Nelson out of China?
4. Why does Jerry order his driver out of the car after the meeting with Ricardo?
5. Why does Jerry hire a colonel to help him find Ricardo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jerry figure out who Ricardo is?
2. How does Jerry help Luke when Luke gets kicked out of his apartment?
3. What makes Guillam suspicious of Sam Collins?
4. How does the war affect Drake and Nelson's relationship with Mr. Hibbert?
5. Why does Smiley send agents to interview Mr. Hibbert?
6. What does Jerry tell Drake Ko when he lands on the island?
7. What happens to Smiley and his team at the end of this novel?
8. What does Charlie tell Jerry about his relationship with Mr. Tiu?
9. What does Jerry discover at the morgue in Part 2, Chapter 14?
10. What does Ricardo tell Jerry when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do drugs symbolize in this novel? Examine three things that drugs represent in the novel. How does the use of this literary device help to create the plot and meaning of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is the character of Ricardo developed throughout the novel? What is his role? How is Ricardo crafted to fill this role? What does Ricardo represent?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Smiley's management skills. How does he treat his employees, staff, and team? What does this reflect in Smiley?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)