|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Connie learn Drake did to Nelson after the war?
2. What does Tiu say will happen to Ricardo if he completes the opium mission?
3. What does Mr. Tiu ask Charlie to do as a pilot?
4. Who is shot by the Cousins' helicopter?
5. How long do the American agents agree to wait before taking over the Dolphin case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Ricardo give Jerry for why people thought he was dead?
2. How does Di Salis fail at interviewing Mr. Hibbert?
3. What does Jerry discover at the morgue in Part 2, Chapter 14?
4. What agreement does Smiley reach with the American agents?
5. Why does Jerry decide to not return to England after meeting with Ricardo?
6. How does Smiley react when Jerry leaves the morgue in Part 2, Chapter 14?
7. What does Ricardo tell Jerry when they first meet?
8. What happens to Smiley and his team at the end of this novel?
9. Why does Jerry believe Nelson will land on the island of Po Toi?
10. While interacting with Elizabeth in Part 2, Chapter 13, how does Jerry feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use suspense and plot twists to build reader interest? Is the author successful? How do these techniques reflect the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three of the interviews that took place in this novel. Consider the technique, success and outcome of each interview.
Essay Topic 3
How is Elizabeth developed as a character? Consider her introduction compared to her arrest at the end of the novel. What does Elizabeth represent?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)