|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jerry stay while he is in Hong Kong?
2. How does Smiley describe Elizabeth Worthington's parents?
3. What does Jerry learn about how Drake Ko traveled to Hong Kong?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why must Phoebe Wayfarer be convinced she is safe?
5. What happens before the Moscow money laundering operation case is closed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Smiley interested in the Russian money laundering case?
2. How do the Tuscan villagers feel about Jerry?
3. What does Smiley learn about Peter Worthington's life when he visits him in Part 1, Chapter 10?
4. When Smiley is questioned in Part 1, Chapter 8, how does he explain his need for an agent in Hong Kong?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what is the argument for not warning the Governor of Hong Kong?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 4, why is it revealed that Craw came to see Smiley?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Jerry visit Craw?
8. When Smiley visits the Worthingtons in Part 1, Chapter 10, what does he read in their letters?
9. What happens after Jerry's father dies?
10. When Smiley visits Elizabeth Worthington's parents in Part 1, Chapter 10, what does he learn about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Drake Ko and Nelson Ko. How does the author develop their relationship? How does each character develop the other character? How is this relationship central to the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is family represented in "The Honourable Schoolboy"? What message is the author presenting about family?
Essay Topic 3
What role do women play in "The Honourable Schoolboy"? What is the purpose of women in the novel? What commentary is given on gender roles and gender issues?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)