|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Craw retire?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 9, how is Phoebe Wayfarer's spy work described?
3. Who does Drake Ko name his boat after?
4. Where is Drake Ko from originally?
5. Why is Jerry nervous about going to Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jerry do after receiving his telegram in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. What happens after Jerry's father dies?
3. What does Jerry learn about Drake Ko from the newspaper?
4. What does Smiley learn about Peter Worthington's life when he visits him in Part 1, Chapter 10?
5. How does Jerry feel about getting the bank files in Hong Kong?
6. Why is Smiley interested in the Russian money laundering case?
7. How does Craw feel about Phoebe's spy work?
8. When Smiley visits Elizabeth Worthington's parents in Part 1, Chapter 10, what does he learn about them?
9. What does Smiley learn about Drake Ko from "Who's Who"?
10. Why does Jerry want a job with a London newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the character of Ricardo developed throughout the novel? What is his role? How is Ricardo crafted to fill this role? What does Ricardo represent?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of hidden, or double, identities in "The Honourable Schoolboy". How are these identities used? How do they help to develop the plot and the characters? What is the author saying about identity in general?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Smiley's professional success. How does Smiley succeed? How does Smiley fail? Which one is more important and why?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)