|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jerry stay while he is in Hong Kong?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 10, how does Peter describe his relationship with Elizabeth?
3. What does Smiley do with the agents in Hong Kong?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 10, how does Peter describe Elizabeth's relationship with her mother?
5. How does Craw feel when he sees High Haven up close for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smiley do when he moves into his new office in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. Why do the journalists visit High Haven in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What does Craw reveal about the British Secret Service in his article about High Haven?
4. When Smiley visits the Worthingtons in Part 1, Chapter 10, what does he read in their letters?
5. What does Smiley learn about Peter Worthington's life when he visits him in Part 1, Chapter 10?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 4, why will it be difficult for Smiley to run an investigation in Hong Kong?
7. How does Craw feel about Phoebe's spy work?
8. What does Jerry learn about Drake Ko from the newspaper?
9. Why does Jerry want a job with a London newspaper?
10. What is Jerry's relationship with Smiley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use suspense and plot twists to build reader interest? Is the author successful? How do these techniques reflect the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is the character of Ricardo developed throughout the novel? What is his role? How is Ricardo crafted to fill this role? What does Ricardo represent?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Drake Ko and Nelson Ko. How does the author develop their relationship? How does each character develop the other character? How is this relationship central to the plot of the novel?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)