|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Craw do when he first visits High Haven?
2. Who used to live where Jerry moves in Hong Kong?
3. Who does Phoebe know Liese Worth used to live with in Vientiane?
4. What nationality is Craw?
5. Why does Jerry need Frost's help at the Hong Kong bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Smiley is questioned in Part 1, Chapter 8, how does he explain his need for an agent in Hong Kong?
2. What happens when the reporters go to write about High Haven after visiting it for the first time?
3. What does Smiley do when he moves into his new office in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Why do the journalists visit High Haven in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. How does Craw feel about Phoebe's spy work?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 4, why will it be difficult for Smiley to run an investigation in Hong Kong?
7. How does Jerry feel about getting the bank files in Hong Kong?
8. What does Craw reveal about the British Secret Service in his article about High Haven?
9. What does Jerry do after receiving his telegram in Part 1, Chapter 2?
10. Why does Jerry befriend Frost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the symbolism of transportation in this novel. What do planes, boats and other forms of transportation symbolize? How do these meaning affect the themes and events in "The Honourable Schoolboy"?
Essay Topic 2
How is the conflict between American intelligence and British intelligence played out in "The Honourable Schoolboy"? In what ways is each group superior? What does the ending of the novel do to end the conflict?
Essay Topic 3
How is Elizabeth developed as a character? Consider her introduction compared to her arrest at the end of the novel. What does Elizabeth represent?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)