|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smiley remember asking Karla the time he met her face to face?
(a) If she would turn herself in.
(b) If she would work for the British.
(c) If she was lost.
(d) If she would go out with him.
2. What is Craw most interested in asking Phoebe about when they go out to dinner in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Phoebe's work history.
(b) Liese Worth's job.
(c) Jerry's personal life.
(d) Drake Ko's mistress.
3. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Smiley do with some of the retired agents?
(a) Cuts their benefits.
(b) Gives them a raise.
(c) Has them interrogated.
(d) Calls them back to duty.
4. When does Jerry first meet Frost?
(a) The day before Jerry goes to the bank.
(b) A few weeks before Jerry went to Hong Kong.
(c) The day Jerry goes to the bank.
(d) The day after Jerry goes to the bank.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how are the reporters at the Hong Kong bar described?
(a) Hard working.
(b) Burned out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Drake Ko from originally?
2. Who does Jerry spend the weekend with in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. After reading the "Who's Who" book, how does Jerry research Drake Ko?
4. After meeting with Phoebe in Part 1, Chapter 9, what does The Rocker tell Craw about Liese Worth?
5. Why does Jerry take a job with a newspaper in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 4, why is it revealed that Craw came to see Smiley?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 4, why will it be difficult for Smiley to run an investigation in Hong Kong?
3. How do the Tuscan villagers feel about Jerry?
4. What information does Phoebe share about Liese Worth with Craw?
5. Why does Jerry want a job with a London newspaper?
6. What does Jerry learn about Drake Ko from visiting the race track?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what is the argument for not warning the Governor of Hong Kong?
8. Why does Jerry befriend Frost?
9. What happens when the reporters go to write about High Haven after visiting it for the first time?
10. What does Smiley do when he moves into his new office in Part 1, Chapter 3?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)