|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of journalist is Phoebe Wayfarer?
(a) A human interest reporter.
(b) A gossip reporter.
(c) A sports columnist.
(d) An advice columnist.
2. What does Craw do when he first visits High Haven?
(a) Throws rocks at the windows.
(b) Breaks the intercom.
(c) Yells through the door.
(d) Climbs the gate.
3. Where is Drake Ko from originally?
(c) New York.
(d) Hong Kong.
4. What nationality is Luke?
5. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 4, where does Smiley want to send an agent?
(a) New York.
(b) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to have their High Haven story published?
2. Why does Jerry take a job with a newspaper in London?
3. Why is Luke unable to write an article about High Haven after he visits it for the first time?
4. What does Luke learn about the Russian in the Circus from a magazine article?
5. What does Fawn do besides act as a bodyguard?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 4, why is it revealed that Craw came to see Smiley?
2. What does the postmistress do with Jerry's telegram in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. What does Smiley do when he moves into his new office in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Why does Jerry want a job with a London newspaper?
5. What does Craw reveal about the British Secret Service in his article about High Haven?
6. What does Jerry learn about Drake Ko from the newspaper?
7. How do the Tuscan villagers feel about Jerry?
8. When Smiley is questioned in Part 1, Chapter 8, how does he explain his need for an agent in Hong Kong?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 4, why will it be difficult for Smiley to run an investigation in Hong Kong?
10. Why does Jerry befriend Frost?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)