|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jerry go to the race track after researching Drake Ko?
(a) Because Smiley was there.
(b) Because Jerry needed a break.
(c) Because Drake Ko owns a horse.
(d) Because Drake Ko owns the track.
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 4, where does Smiley want to send an agent?
(a) Hong Kong.
(c) New York.
3. Who is Phoebe Wayfarer a spy for?
4. What nationality is Luke?
5. How does Smiley feel about warning the Governor of Hong Kong in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) He refuses to talk about it.
(b) He is for it.
(c) He is against it.
(d) He says he doesn't care.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke's landlord tell him about High Haven?
2. What does Jerry learn about how Drake Ko traveled to Hong Kong?
3. Who must Smiley have permission from before sending agents out overseas?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why must Phoebe Wayfarer be convinced she is safe?
5. What happens to Indocharter's bank account?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jerry want a job with a London newspaper?
2. What is Jerry's relationship with Smiley?
3. How do the Tuscan villagers feel about Jerry?
4. Why is Smiley interested in the Russian money laundering case?
5. What does Jerry learn about Drake Ko from visiting the race track?
6. Why does Jerry befriend Frost?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what is the argument for not warning the Governor of Hong Kong?
8. What does Craw reveal about the British Secret Service in his article about High Haven?
9. Why do the journalists visit High Haven in Part 1, Chapter 1?
10. When Smiley visits the Worthingtons in Part 1, Chapter 10, what does he read in their letters?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)