|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is known as "the dwarf"?
(a) Luke's chief.
(b) Luke's assistant.
(c) The British spy.
(d) The Russian spy.
2. Who does Phoebe know Liese Worth used to live with in Vientiane?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A spy.
(c) A politician.
(d) A reporter.
3. What nationality is Craw?
4. What does Smiley do with the agents in Hong Kong?
(a) Offers them early retirement.
(b) Gives them new jobs.
(c) Fires them.
(d) Pulls them in.
5. Why does Jerry take a job with a newspaper in London?
(a) He is doing the editor a favor.
(b) He is left without money.
(c) He wants to travel.
(d) He finally earned his degree.
6. Who is the first to have their High Haven story published?
(c) The dwarf.
7. What account does Drake Ko have at the Hong Kong bank?
(a) A savings account.
(b) A checking account.
(c) A retirement account.
(d) A trust account.
8. Where does Jerry stay while he is in Hong Kong?
(a) High Haven.
(b) A flat.
(c) A boathouse.
(d) A cottage.
9. When does Jerry first meet Frost?
(a) A few weeks before Jerry went to Hong Kong.
(b) The day before Jerry goes to the bank.
(c) The day after Jerry goes to the bank.
(d) The day Jerry goes to the bank.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why must Phoebe Wayfarer be convinced she is safe?
(a) She is afraid of heights.
(b) She is afraid of enemy attacks.
(c) She is afraid of being caught.
(d) She is afraid of losing her job.
11. What is Jerry nervous about as he walks to the Hong Kong bank?
(a) Being followed.
(b) Being captured.
(c) Being robbed.
(d) Being lost.
12. What does Luke learn about the Russian in the Circus from a magazine article?
(a) The Russian was a spy.
(b) The Russian was taking over the Circus.
(c) The Russian was funding the Circus.
(d) He learns nothing about the Russian.
13. Why does Liese Worth have a false name?
(a) To protect her from her parents.
(b) To mislead the police.
(c) To confuse the press.
(d) To protect her from a group of criminals.
14. What is Jerry Westerby working on writing in Tuscany?
(a) A novel.
(b) A newspaper article.
(c) A magazine mini-series.
(d) A series of short stories.
15. Who does Jerry spend the weekend with in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His stepmother.
(d) His cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jerry need Frost's help at the Hong Kong bank?
2. What does Smiley remember asking Karla the time he met her face to face?
3. How does Phoebe describe Liese Worth's effect on Drake Ko?
4. Who does Smiley think he sees in his wife's house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. Who is Phoebe Wayfarer a spy for?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)