|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymn to Demeter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prayer does the poet make in The Hymn to Poseidon?
(a) For the brief trips of sailors.
(b) For good weather over the seas.
(c) For the safety of sailors and ships.
(d) For strong winds on the sails of ships.
2. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
3. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
(a) Health, fortune, and wealth.
(b) Health and fortune.
(c) Health and wealth.
(d) Fortune and wealth.
4. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
5. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
2. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
3. According to the evidence presented in the Introduction, what are some of the hymns most likely a prelude for?
4. How is Hermes's defense described in the first hymn?
5. How does Hermes's mother discover that he has been up to no good?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)