|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymn to Demeter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What meter are the hymns composed in?
2. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
3. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
4. Making it different than many of the other hymns, how does The Hymn to Ares begin?
(a) With the reference to another god.
(b) With a repetition of Ares's name.
(c) With no mention of Ares's name.
(d) With a description of another god.
5. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
(a) His persuasiveness.
(b) His persistence.
(c) His cleverness.
(d) His cautiousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Hermes's mother respond to Hermes' stealing activities?
2. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
3. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
4. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
5. How is the sailing ship that captures Dionysus described?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)