|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymn to Demeter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To introduce the second one.
(b) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(c) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
(d) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
2. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
3. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
(a) Neither Demeter nor her daughter.
(b) Only Demeter.
(c) Demeter and her daughter.
(d) Only Demeter's daughter.
4. What suffers as a result of Demeter's quest to find her daughter?
(b) Only the crops of Rome and Greece.
(c) The crops of the whole world.
(d) Only the crops of Greece.
5. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
2. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
3. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
4. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
5. According to The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the father of Dionysus?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)