|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymn to Demeter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the myth, what does Hermes use the shell of the turtle to make?
(a) A shield.
(b) A hat.
(c) A lyre.
(d) A bowl.
2. How is Herakles described in the hymn?
(a) A great mythic fighter.
(b) A great mythic hero.
(c) A great mythic figure.
(d) A great mythic warrior.
3. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
(a) Demeter and her daughter.
(b) Neither Demeter nor her daughter.
(c) Only Demeter's daughter.
(d) Only Demeter.
4. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Ugly and deformed.
(b) Ugly, but not deformed.
(c) Deformed, but not ugly.
(d) Neither ugly nor deformed.
5. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
2. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
3. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
4. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
5. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)