|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to Ares, Herakles, Ausklepios, and Pan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
2. In a tribute, which Greek historian attributes the "Hymn to Apollo" to Homer?
3. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
(a) Health and wealth.
(b) Health, fortune, and wealth.
(c) Fortune and wealth.
(d) Health and fortune.
4. What does Apollo give to Hermes towards the end of the first hymn?
(a) A wand.
(b) A bow.
(c) A horse.
(d) A pair of shoes.
5. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
(a) Enter battle.
(b) Write another poem.
(c) Retreat from battle.
(d) Write another song.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Hermes's mother respond to Hermes' stealing activities?
2. As described in The Hymn to Asclepios, what is Asclepios known for?
3. How is Hermes's defense described in the first hymn?
4. How does Hermes's mother discover that he has been up to no good?
5. What name is Herakles also known as?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)