|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to Ares, Herakles, Ausklepios, and Pan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
(a) Works and Days.
(d) The Odyssey.
2. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
(a) The holiness of the prisoner.
(b) That the boat was sinking.
(c) The danger that the crew is in.
(d) That the boat was going off course.
3. How does The Hymn to Ares end?
(a) With a prayer.
(b) With a riddle.
(c) With a song.
(d) With a prediction.
4. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
5. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
(a) Health and fortune.
(b) Health, fortune, and wealth.
(c) Fortune and wealth.
(d) Health and wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
2. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Herakles?
3. According to The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus raised in secrecy?
4. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
5. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)