|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to Ares, Herakles, Ausklepios, and Pan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
(a) Her feet.
(d) Her voice.
2. What is the length of the longest hymn?
(a) Five hundred and eighty lines.
(b) Twenty eight lines.
(c) Fifty eight lines.
(d) Two hundred and eighty lines.
3. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
(a) Retreat from battle.
(b) Write another song.
(c) Write another poem.
(d) Enter battle.
4. How does The Hymn to Dionysus begin?
(a) With a note from the translator.
(b) With a note from Homer.
(c) With a description of Dionysus.
(d) With a song about Dionysus.
5. What happens to the helmsman in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) He swims to safety on a nearby island.
(b) He is released by Dionysus on an island.
(c) He is richly rewarded.
(d) He is turned into a hawk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
2. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
3. According to The Hymn to Pan, what animal makes up the lower half of Pan, who is known for nature and wild music?
4. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
5. What does Hermes steal from Apollo?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)