|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to Hermes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the intent of the captain of the sailing boat?
(a) To hold Dionysus for ransom.
(b) To gain knowledge from Dionysus.
(c) To destroy Dionysus.
(d) To release Dionysus on the next island.
2. According to the evidence presented in the Introduction, what are some of the hymns most likely a prelude for?
(a) Another book by a different author.
(b) Another book by Homer.
(c) A shorter poem.
(d) A longer poem.
3. How does The Hymn to Dionysus begin?
(a) With a note from Homer.
(b) With a note from the translator.
(c) With a description of Dionysus.
(d) With a song about Dionysus.
4. What invocation to Dionysus ends the third hymn?
(a) Wild, noisy goat.
(b) Girl-crazy goat.
(c) Girl-crazy lion.
(d) Wild, noisy lion.
5. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the myth, what does Hermes use the shell of the turtle to make?
2. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
3. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
4. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
5. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)