|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to the Sun, Moon and the Dioscuri.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prayer does the poet make in The Hymn to Poseidon?
(a) For the brief trips of sailors.
(b) For strong winds on the sails of ships.
(c) For good weather over the seas.
(d) For the safety of sailors and ships.
2. How does the first Hymn to Dionysus conclude?
(a) With a prediction.
(b) With a song.
(c) With a question.
(d) With a praise.
3. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
(a) In poverty.
(b) Like animals.
(c) Like servants.
4. Which one of the following is not a well known recurrent theme of Ancient Greek literature?
(a) The uncertainty of life.
(b) Ignorance of the past.
(c) The inevitable nature of old age.
(d) Ignorance of the future.
5. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
(a) That she will introduce him to Zeus.
(b) That she will give him powers.
(c) That she will leave him alone.
(d) That she is telling the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
2. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
3. In what way does Hermes's mother respond to Hermes' stealing activities?
4. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
5. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)