|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to the Sun, Moon and the Dioscuri.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
(a) With gratitude.
(b) With laughter.
(c) With fear.
(d) With anger.
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
(a) From the flames of a fire.
(b) From the rays of the sun.
(c) From the foam of the sea.
(d) From the center of a flower.
4. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
5. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
(a) The power of the sea plants.
(b) The power of the winds.
(c) The power of sea creatures.
(d) The power of the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
2. According to the hymn, what does Hephaistos do for the men he represents?
3. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
4. Which disguise does Demeter use in the hymn?
5. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)