|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aldroenus offers to send his brother, Constantine, with how many soldiers to aide the Britons?
2. How does Arvirargus, Guiderius' brother, avenge him?
3. How might Leil be described as a ruler?
4. Guiderius manages to beat Claudius' forces back, but what happens to Guiderius?
5. Over what does an argument break out regarding Aurelius and Utherpendragon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vortigern begin plotting a takeover of the kingship?
2. How do Caesar's ships become impaled in the River Thames?
3. What do Brutus' sons do when he dies?
4. What happens after Guiderius refuses to pay the tribute agreed upon by Cassivelaunus?
5. What happens after Caesar sends a letter to King Cassivelaunus?
6. Why is Vortimer poisoned?
7. What is Constantine able to do for the Britons?
8. What does Merlin do for Vortigern?
9. What takes place after Pandrasus agrees to his daughter's marriage to Brutus?
10. Why does Corineus become upset that Locrinus is attracted to Estrildis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Arthur's personal character is far above that of the rulers who preceded him.
Part 1) Describe King Arthur. How is he the consummate King?
Part 2) How is he connected to the brilliant star? How does this star foreshadow his greatness?
Part 3) How does Arthur resemble Brutus? How does the reader know that, although he is extraordinary, he is still human? What does this mean for the rest of us?
Essay Topic 2
Merlin's prophecies are extraordinary.
Part 1) Who is Merlin? How is Merlin, himself, extraordinary?
Part 2) What is significant about Merlin's prophecies? Do you believe these prophecies actually took place? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is Merlin's prophecy symbolic? What does it reveal about Britain's past?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur is the king Britain has been seeking.
Part 1) What does Arthur do for Britain? How is he different from the other kings?
Part 2) What is his most important characteristic, for you? Explain.
Part 3) How does he compare to rulers today? Would he be good as the leader of a modern nation? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)