|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 9, the man was able to sense what about other people?
2. What was the role of the man who, with the representation of a number of people, set about a grim finish by being treated like an animal?
3. In Book 9, Chapter 15, Gregory reports that the King of Spain called together which groups of people?
4. Why did Gregory initially reject his promotion?
5. What made Gregory most disappointed in the man he had problems with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gregory and some of the other men become convinced of about the man Gregory had many problems with?
2. How did the "sorcerer" come to the attention of local clerics?
3. How did Gregory intend to make the reader feel by including the details of how one man was killed and treated like an animal?
4. Who did Gregory describe as validating the right of ascendancy of Clothar?
5. Why was Gregory the deacon uplifted to Gregory the bishop?
6. How did Gregory describe some of the bad political leaders during his time?
7. How was the word 'pope' used in two different ways?
8. What happened to the man who was so ill many believed he was going to die, according to Gregory?
9. What recommendations were made to cure the plague after the flood of Rome?
10. What is the dramatic story Gregory relayed about a young woman and one of her suitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Gregory biased in his writing? Why or why not? How would you assess the reliability of Gregory in his writing?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Gregory of Tours chose to write The History of the Tours? What did his skill in writing have to do with it? Was Gregory a reluctant writer? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the introduction to The History of the Franks? What role does it serve for the reader? Does it truly set the scene for the reader? Why or why not? Does it fulfill its intended purpose? How do you know?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)