|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gregory claimed that something was the real cause of Chilperic's demise. What was it?
2. In the second story of Book 11, how was the man believed to have been punished after taking credit for something?
3. After the flood occurred, what was the first recommendation for a solution?
4. In the first miracle story, what part of the young woman's body caught on fire?
5. Who was ultimately credited with miraculously restoring the health of the ill man in Book 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gregory and some of the other men become convinced of about the man Gregory had many problems with?
2. What is the dramatic story Gregory relayed about a young woman and one of her suitors?
3. How did the "sorcerer" come to the attention of local clerics?
4. Who did Gregory describe as validating the right of ascendancy of Clothar?
5. How did Gregory describe some of the bad political leaders during his time?
6. What passing down of relics did Gregory describe?
7. What recommendations were made to cure the plague after the flood of Rome?
8. Why did Gregory dislike Diana-worshiping?
9. Why did Gregory attempt to reject his promotion?
10. What happened to the man who was so ill many believed he was going to die, according to Gregory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gregory believed in supernatural healing, miracles, and supernatural powers. What role did miracles seem to play in Gregory's life? Do you think that Gregory and other people during his time were more gullible than people are today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Was Gregory biased in his writing? Why or why not? How would you assess the reliability of Gregory in his writing?
Essay Topic 3
Do you find Gregory to have been a judgmental person? A bad person? A smart person? Why or why not?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)