|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story of the young man who gets ill enough that many think he will die, who did he call upon?
2. In the story about the woman and her suitors, who repelled the man's attempt to marry the woman?
3. According to Gregory, what culminated from the flood and other events?
4. In Book 10, what city was flooded?
5. Which of the following was most likely true about Gregory of Tours?
Short Essay Questions
1. What passing down of relics did Gregory describe?
2. Gregory described a man whom he had many problems with. How did this man view the hierarchy of he and Gregory?
3. How did Gregory intend to make the reader feel by including the details of how one man was killed and treated like an animal?
4. What is the dramatic story Gregory relayed about a young woman and one of her suitors?
5. What did Gregory of Tours have to say about the fear of God?
6. What environmental anecdote did Gregory reveal in Chapter 10 of Book 10?
7. What happened to the man who was so ill many believed he was going to die, according to Gregory?
8. Who did Gregory describe as validating the right of ascendancy of Clothar?
9. What did Gregory and some of the other men become convinced of about the man Gregory had many problems with?
10. According to Gregory, what was the real cause of Chilperic's demise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you find Gregory to have been a judgmental person? A bad person? A smart person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gregory believed in supernatural healing, miracles, and supernatural powers. What role did miracles seem to play in Gregory's life? Do you think that Gregory and other people during his time were more gullible than people are today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gregory described a man who could sense when others were talking negatively about him. Why was this man considered unpopular? What diction did Gregory use to describe the man to give the impression that this man was not well-liked by others?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)