|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gregory attempt to evade his promotion?
2. Why did Gregory initially reject his promotion?
3. In Book 9, Chapter 15, Gregory reports that the King of Spain called together which groups of people?
4. In Book 9, what was the "sorcerer" selling?
5. Who did Gregory of Tours base most stories on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What recommendations were made to cure the plague after the flood of Rome?
2. What happened to the woman who caught on fire, according to Gregory?
3. Gregory described a man whom he had many problems with. How did this man view the hierarchy of he and Gregory?
4. How did Gregory describe the man who had the ability to sense when others spoke ill of him?
5. How was the word 'pope' used in two different ways?
6. What passing down of relics did Gregory describe?
7. What did Gregory and some of the other men become convinced of about the man Gregory had many problems with?
8. What did the man who was bucked from his horse allegedly do to deserve this?
9. What is the dramatic story Gregory relayed about a young woman and one of her suitors?
10. Besides the flood in Rome, what other disasters occurred in the same time period and location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gregory believed in supernatural healing, miracles, and supernatural powers. What role did miracles seem to play in Gregory's life? Do you think that Gregory and other people during his time were more gullible than people are today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gregory's book discusses divine magic. Why do you think divine magic plays such a large part in The History of the Franks? What effect does the role of divine magic in the book have on the reader? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Why was it significant for Gregory's text to be modernized by editors? What role did the editors play in changing Gregory's text? How would the readability of the text change if it weren't for the editors?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)