|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gregory, who was there a problem with after the flood?
2. Gregory the deacon founded how many monasteries prior to changing positions in the church?
3. Within how many hours was the woman who caught on fire allegedly healed?
4. Gregory the deacon was changed to what role after the flood?
5. After the flood occurred, what was the first recommendation for a solution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides the flood in Rome, what other disasters occurred in the same time period and location?
2. What did Gregory and some of the other men become convinced of about the man Gregory had many problems with?
3. What did Gregory of Tours have to say about the fear of God?
4. Why did Gregory dislike Diana-worshiping?
5. Why was the king of Spain disappointed in his bishops?
6. What is the dramatic story Gregory relayed about a young woman and one of her suitors?
7. What made Gregory believe that a man was a "sorcerer"?
8. Gregory described a man whom he had many problems with. How did this man view the hierarchy of he and Gregory?
9. What environmental anecdote did Gregory reveal in Chapter 10 of Book 10?
10. Why was Gregory the deacon uplifted to Gregory the bishop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gregory claimed that the fear of God was necessary for a person to be good. The man that Gregory had a bad experience with was thought to have been possessed by a demon, which was causing him not to fear God. In what other ways did Gregory apply the concept of the fear of his deity?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of diction and syntax in terms of Gregory's writing style. What does the use of diction say about Gregory? What type of diction and syntax stand out to you the most? Why do you think this is?
Essay Topic 3
Gregory described a flood, serpent, and plague that had affected Rome. What role did these events play in the course of history as Gregory saw it? Why were these significant events?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)