|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The editors of the book have pointed out that this book is told from which perspective?
2. Between which two groups was there a civil war?
3. In the description of the cure assigned to one man's condition, which of the following was one of the cures?
4. What were bishops considered to be?
5. What was considered typical of saints?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of Saint Martin to Gregory of Tours?
2. How did Gregory of Tours define his relationship with religion?
3. Why did Gregory of Tours write The History of the Franks?
4. Describe the circumstances under which Saint Martin's church was robbed.
5. What careers did Gregory of Tours have?
6. What did Gregory of Tours mean when he said that a man became bishop after emerging from underground?
7. What powers did the prophet, Elisha, have?
8. What perspective have the editors of The History of the Franks pointed out to the reader?
9. Why did people stand in the way of Clotilda's plan?
10. What was referred to as a "cult"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on Gregory's perceptions, what can you make of relationships between men and women during his time? Point out three pieces of evidence to back up your claims.
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the introduction to The History of the Franks? What role does it serve for the reader? Does it truly set the scene for the reader? Why or why not? Does it fulfill its intended purpose? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Why was it significant for Gregory's text to be modernized by editors? What role did the editors play in changing Gregory's text? How would the readability of the text change if it weren't for the editors?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)