|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who broke into Saint Martin's church?
2. Which saint was most popular near Gregory's area of guidance?
3. Who took over Tours?
4. Which of the following is the name of the second man determined to attack a duke?
5. What was one of the lifestyle changes the man with many wives made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it considered somewhat of a victory to have a bishop in Tours?
2. Why did people stand in the way of Clotilda's plan?
3. What powers did the prophet, Elisha, have?
4. What did Gregory of Tours mean when he said that a man became bishop after emerging from underground?
5. What was the significance of Saint Martin to Gregory of Tours?
6. How did Cato become a bishop?
7. How did Gregory of Tours define his relationship with religion?
8. How is the word 'death' used in a way that might be confusing for modern readers?
9. What careers did Gregory of Tours have?
10. What knowledge did Gregory of Tours have about the Old Testament and how did he show this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Gregory of Tours chose to write The History of the Tours? What did his skill in writing have to do with it? Was Gregory a reluctant writer? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Why was it significant for Gregory's text to be modernized by editors? What role did the editors play in changing Gregory's text? How would the readability of the text change if it weren't for the editors?
Essay Topic 3
The picture of Christianity that Gregory painted seems very similar to the modern perception of paganism. How is this so? What role did saints and gods play in Gregory's life?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)