|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the fate of one of Clotilda's grandsons?
2. What action would skeptics say that "resurrection" was actually attributed to as a result of this?
3. What did Gregory of Tours compare "the Christ" to?
4. Which of the following best describes one of the bishop's backgrounds?
5. Which of the following is used to describe the man who had multiple wives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What may have accounted for the alleged resurrections that were attributed to the prophet, Elisha?
2. What knowledge did Gregory of Tours have about the Old Testament and how did he show this?
3. Describe the letter Gregory received from another bishop as described in Book 5.
4. How did Gregory of Tours define his relationship with religion?
5. Describe the difficulties Saint Martin faced before he became a saint.
6. How is the word 'death' used in a way that might be confusing for modern readers?
7. Describe the circumstances under which Saint Martin's church was robbed.
8. How has the language of The History of Franks been changed by editors?
9. What perspective have the editors of The History of the Franks pointed out to the reader?
10. Why did Gregory of Tours write The History of the Franks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on Gregory's perceptions, what can you make of relationships between men and women during his time? Point out three pieces of evidence to back up your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Gregory claimed that the fear of God was necessary for a person to be good. The man that Gregory had a bad experience with was thought to have been possessed by a demon, which was causing him not to fear God. In what other ways did Gregory apply the concept of the fear of his deity?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of diction and syntax in terms of Gregory's writing style. What does the use of diction say about Gregory? What type of diction and syntax stand out to you the most? Why do you think this is?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)