|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the name of the second man determined to attack a duke?
2. What type of people did Gregory describe as standing up against bishops?
3. Why did a group of people murder a bishop?
4. What was the name of Gregory's favorite saint?
5. What was considered typical of saints?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lupus and Ursio do to the Duke of Champagne, and what resulted?
2. Describe the alleged magic of the prophet, Elias.
3. Describe the case of the man with seven wives.
4. How did Gregory of Tours define his relationship with religion?
5. What delusion did Gregory of Tours dispel for readers in Book 5?
6. What did Gregory of Tours mean when he said that a man became bishop after emerging from underground?
7. What was the fate of Clotilda's grandsons?
8. Describe the difficulties Saint Martin faced before he became a saint.
9. What did Radegunda's marriage represent?
10. What items were thought to have been cures for health conditions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gregory believed in supernatural healing, miracles, and supernatural powers. What role did miracles seem to play in Gregory's life? Do you think that Gregory and other people during his time were more gullible than people are today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One example of gender indifference in the book occurred when a woman touched an ornament in the church and it was considered by Gregory to be the "last straw". Point out other instances of gender indifference in The History of the Franks and assess what role gender indifference played in Gregory's society and culture.
Essay Topic 3
The picture of Christianity that Gregory painted seems very similar to the modern perception of paganism. How is this so? What role did saints and gods play in Gregory's life?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)