|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a man feel enter him during the healing scene?
2. What was Chilperic?
3. What was Merovech sent to do originally by his father?
4. What did Gregory of Tours compare "the Christ" to?
5. What relationship did Gregory have to Tours?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the word 'death' used in a way that might be confusing for modern readers?
2. How did Cato become a bishop?
3. How did voting work in Gregory of Tours' time?
4. Describe the role of miracles in the lives of saints.
5. What did Gregory of Tours mean when he said that a man became bishop after emerging from underground?
6. What was the significance of Saint Martin to Gregory of Tours?
7. How has the language of The History of Franks been changed by editors?
8. What perspective have the editors of The History of the Franks pointed out to the reader?
9. What is the purpose of the introduction to The History of the Franks?
10. Describe the letter Gregory received from another bishop as described in Book 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gregory claimed that the fear of God was necessary for a person to be good. The man that Gregory had a bad experience with was thought to have been possessed by a demon, which was causing him not to fear God. In what other ways did Gregory apply the concept of the fear of his deity?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of religion in The History of the Franks. Does religion play a large part in the stories? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Gregory initially decline his promotion from deacon to bishop? Why is this significant to know about Gregory? Does this change your perception of him? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)