|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was used medicinally?
2. During the times of Chilperic and Merovech, how were leaders selected?
3. When Gregory of Tours refers to the man who died, what did he actually do?
4. What is the significance of the introduction in The History of the Franks?
5. The editors of the book have pointed out that this book is told from which perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Queen Brunhilde disapprove of Lupus and Ursio?
2. What was the fate of Clotilda's grandsons?
3. What perspective have the editors of The History of the Franks pointed out to the reader?
4. How did Gregory of Tours define his relationship with religion?
5. What careers did Gregory of Tours have?
6. What is the purpose of the introduction to The History of the Franks?
7. How has the language of The History of Franks been changed by editors?
8. Why did people stand in the way of Clotilda's plan?
9. What was the reception Rauching received?
10. Describe the role of miracles in the lives of saints.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gregory described a man who could sense when others were talking negatively about him. Why was this man considered unpopular? What diction did Gregory use to describe the man to give the impression that this man was not well-liked by others?
Essay Topic 2
Why was it significant for Gregory's text to be modernized by editors? What role did the editors play in changing Gregory's text? How would the readability of the text change if it weren't for the editors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of diction and syntax in terms of Gregory's writing style. What does the use of diction say about Gregory? What type of diction and syntax stand out to you the most? Why do you think this is?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)