|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 9, the man who had powers was wearing a shirt made out of what?
(a) Human hair.
(b) Horse hair.
(c) Cow hair.
(d) Goat hair.
2. In the dramatic story Gregory tells of a young woman and her suitors, which of the following describes the man?
(a) A leader.
(b) A pope.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A religious figure.
3. Which of the following is true about the reliability of Gregory of Tours when he wrote this book?
(a) Much of the truth is left out, but not deceptively.
(b) Much of the truth is portrayed accurately.
(c) None of the story is true.
(d) Much of the truth is left out intentionally.
4. According to Gregory, who was there a problem with after the flood?
(b) Political leaders.
5. Who was Gunthram the king of?
6. Who did the man prone to outbursts admit he was subordinate to?
(b) The priest.
(d) The king.
7. The woman who caught on fire built what type of item that was as tall as she was?
(a) A candle.
(b) A fireplace.
(c) A bed.
(d) A statue of Jesus.
8. For whose loss did a prominent leader hope to seek vengeance for?
9. After the ill man in Book 11 allegedly healed, where did the man want to make a pilgrimage to?
(a) Saint Martin's tomb.
(b) The tomb where Jesus died.
(c) Saint Silas' tomb.
(d) His parents' home.
10. Which of the following describes the writing style Gregory of Tours used in writing The History of the Franks?
11. Gregory claimed that something was the real cause of Chilperic's demise. What was it?
(a) Clothar's doing.
(b) Gregory's doing.
(c) Chilperic's own misdeeds.
(d) Natural causes.
12. What was Diana?
(a) A miracle worker.
(b) A saint.
(c) A goddess.
(d) A peasant.
13. In the second story of Book 11, how was the man believed to have been punished after taking credit for something?
(a) He was thrown from his horse.
(b) He was released from the church.
(c) He was killed by an enemy.
(d) He was stripped of his riches.
14. Who was ultimately credited with miraculously restoring the health of the ill man in Book 11?
(a) Saint Silas.
(b) The Pope.
(d) Gregory of Tours.
15. What made Gregory most disappointed in the man he had problems with?
(a) The man was not very smart.
(b) The man was too secular.
(c) The man did not respect the bishops.
(d) The man was angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first miracle story, what part of the young woman's body caught on fire?
2. Gregory the deacon founded how many monasteries prior to changing positions in the church?
3. As described in Chapter 10, what year was Childebert in his reign?
4. In Book 9, what was the "sorcerer" selling?
5. What else was found in the alleged sorcerer's pouch to show to to Gregory that he was a sorcerer?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)