|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He cites Christ's greatness and claims _____________________ points towards this.
2. Who was the Syrian governor?
3. Persecution of the Church flared up and many martyrs _________.
4. Who else also left behind a defense of the faith?
5. Alcibiades, Montanus and Theodotus gained a reputation for ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Quadratus send Hadrianus? What did Aristedes leave behind?
2. What is said about Alcibiades?
3. Who are the apostles that Eusebius lists who were scattered throughout the world? What does the author say about these men?
4. What does Eusebius say about Polycarp?
5. What does Eusebius say about Justin's martyrdom? What else does Eusebius say about Justin?
6. What still takes place in the twelfth century? What has changed?
7. Name two heretics mentioned in the last chapter. What is significant about these two?
8. What does Eusebius say about Gaul?
9. How does Eusebius affirm Christ's lineage to be correct?
10. What did Herod do regarding the news of Christ's birth? How did this affect him and his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author frequently makes lists of the various Roman rulers and Bishops.
Part 1) Describe these lists. Name and describe two Bishops and two Roman rulers from these lists. How are these leaders important to this book?
Part 2) Compare the Roman rulers to the Bishops. How do they all influence society and the general population?
Part 3) How do leaders today influence the populace? Are they as influential as those leaders mentioned in the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Philo gives an account of the Egyptian ascetics.
Part 1) Who are the Egyptian ascetics? Why does Philo give an account of them?
Part 2) What do these people reveal about many Christians at this time? How do they compare to Christians today?
Part 3) How is Christianity still influenced by these early ascetics? How have the practices of these ascetics played a role in the Church as we know it?
Essay Topic 3
Paul of Samosata and Mani were heretics.
Part 1) Describe these two men. What are their beliefs? What are your thoughts about their beliefs?
Part 2) Why does the Church feel threatened by these heretics? How do they deal with them? Do you approve of the way in which these men were dealt? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the Church today deal with those who cause doubt and dissent in the Church? How does this compare to the ways in which heretics were dealt with in the past?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)