|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dionysius affirms the canonicity of __________ against many Christian critics.
(a) The Psalms.
(b) The Book of Ruth.
2. Maximin Caesar followed Alexander as Roman Emperor ___________ years after he came to power.
3. The heads of the churches are made exempt from public duties for what reason?
(a) In order to preserve them.
(b) In order to secure their consciences.
(c) In oreder to give them more time to devote to the church.
(d) In order to keep them separate from commoners.
4. Cyprian, pastor of Carthage, maintained that heretics should be ___________.
5. What happened to enemies of Christians?
(a) They were forgotten.
(b) They were executed.
(c) They were excommunicated.
(d) They were ignored.
6. Origen was born _______ years after Severus became Roman Emperor.
7. Eusebius covers Dionysius's views on what festival?
8. Many Christian soldiers in the Imperial Army had been _______________________ by the Emperor.
(b) Wronged, persecuted and killed.
9. What happened to the churches?
(a) They were reestablished.
(b) They were forgotten.
(c) They were remodeled.
(d) They were destroyed.
10. Licinius plotted against the Bishops and did what with the most influential one?
(a) He exiled him.
(b) He tortured him.
(c) He put him to death.
(d) He destroyed his reputation.
11. Constantine felt __________ the Christians and took up arms against Maxentius.
(a) Pity for.
(b) Worry for.
(c) Anger against.
(d) Unsure about.
12. Maximin defended his actions in what?
(a) A dishonest letter.
(b) An honest speech.
(c) An honest letter.
(d) A dishonest speech.
13. Cornelius was Bishop of Rome for how many years?
14. A period of persecution lasted ______ years.
15. How does Eusebius open this chapter?
(a) Wondering about the return of peace to the church.
(b) Thanking God for the return of peace to the church.
(c) Worrying about the return of peace to the church.
(d) Summarizing his book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eusebius discusses the martyrs of the day and reproduces Maximin's rescript justifying what?
2. Why did Origen leave for Greece?
3. The Roman Empire endured dissension among ___________.
4. What did Dionysius' fourth letter argue?
5. Origen took up instructing the Church in Alexandria but engaged in the shocking act of ____________ and tried to hide it.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)