|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A fight had sprung up over the issue of whether those people who abandoned a heresy should be __________.
(d) Receive the Eucharist.
2. The famous heretic Mani arose, announcing himself to be what?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) The Holy Ghost.
3. Many Christian soldiers in the Imperial Army had been _______________________ by the Emperor.
(c) Wronged, persecuted and killed.
4. Origen wrote a detailed commentary on Scripture, due to what?
(a) Ambrose's insistence.
(b) God's insistence.
(c) His mother's insistence.
(d) His father's insistence.
5. What did he say must be done with Christians?
(a) They must be imprisoned or killed.
(b) They must be tortured.
(c) They must be converted.
(d) They must be exiled.
6. Cornelius was Bishop of Rome for how many years?
7. God restored peace in the election of ____________.
(a) Constantius II.
(b) Constans I.
8. What happened to Diocletian before Maximian replaced him?
(a) He asked the Christians for forgiveness.
(b) He became mad.
(c) He became depressed.
(d) He converted to Christianity.
9. Famine, pestilence and war struck _________________.
(a) Quickly one after another.
(b) Slowly all at once.
(c) Quckly all at once.
(d) Slowly one after another.
10. The Emperor then _____________ his crimes against Christians.
(a) Recanted for.
(b) Worried about.
11. Eusebius recounts the deaths of whom?
(a) The tyrants.
(b) The Apostles.
(c) The Bishops.
(d) The Christians.
12. In the nineteenth year Diocletian was Emperor, the persecutions began and he ordered what to be done?
(a) Christians to be exiled.
(b) Christian churches razed and the Scriptures destroyed.
(c) Christians to be thrown to the lions.
(d) All books burned.
13. Dionysius affirms the canonicity of __________ against many Christian critics.
(a) The Psalms.
(c) The Book of Ruth.
14. Various letters are issued to the churches, two of which order a Synod in _____________ for "unity and concord of the churches."
15. Maxentius was defeated--Eusebius likens it to ____________.
(a) Joseph's forgiveness of his brothers.
(b) The Jews' victory over Pharaoh.
(c) Jesus' victory over sin.
(d) Mary's love for Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maxentius ordered the Christian persecutions to _______ when he was Emperor.
2. How old was Origen when his father was martyred?
3. Origen observed what as a child and vowed to charge headlong into the fight for the faith?
4. What happened to the churches?
5. Who was responsible for much of this persecution?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)