|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the deployment of alliance?
2. What does Foucault say is true of discourse?
3. What is the feature of juridico-discursive power that Foucault labels as the negative relation of power and sexuality?
4. What new technology of sex emerged at the end of the eighteenth century?
5. Which of the following would Foucault agree what the purpose for which the deployment of sexuality was first established.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Foucault mean when he refers to the cyclical nature of power and law? Explain.
2. What does Foucault have to say about resistance? Where can you find it?
3. Explain the concept of juridico-discursive power. Where does Foucault say we perceive it to act?
4. How does Foucault define power? What is it like?
5. How does the spread of sexuality, as told by Foucault, refute the repressive hypothesis that sexuality was repressed in order to subjugate the working class?
6. Per Foucault, what are the principle traits of juridico-discursive power structures?
7. How does sexuality vary between classes?
8. Relationships between power and knowledge are transformational matrices and highly subject to change. Give an example of a power-knowledge relationship that has changed dramatically.
9. Give an example of a tactical and strategic relationship.
10. What role does psychiatry play in the deployment of sexuality and the repressive hypothesis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The confessional paved the way for the creation of other mechanisms and institutions to create authorized and necessary forms of sexual discourse. Write an essay describing those mechanisms and institutions and their own forms of sexual discourse.
Part 1: Judicial.
Part 2: Medical.
Part 3: Governmental.
Part 4: Pedagogical.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Foucault means by a society based on the symbolics of blood and a society based on the analytics of sex.
Part 1: What are the symbolics of blood? What is a society like that is based on them?
Part 2: What are the analytics of sex? What is a society like that is based on them?
Part 3: What two pre-existing social constructs made sex and its accompanying power structure so apt to fill the power void during the transition?
Essay Topic 3
Foucault defines five ways in which the discourse and power structure of the confession were adapted and extorted by science to be developed into scientia sexualis. Define each avenue and tell how it propagated sexual discourse and supported the creation of scientia sexualis.
Part 1: Clinical codification.
Part 2: The postulate of a general and diffuse causality.
Part 3: The principle of latency intrinsic to sexuality.
Part 4: The method of interpretation.
Part 5: The medicalization of the effects of confession.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)