|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, Right of Death and Power Over Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the two places of tolerance to arise as a result of the confinement of sexuality?
(a) The mental hospital and the unmarried.
(b) The mental hospital and the lower class.
(c) The brothel and mental hospital.
(d) The brothel and the lower class.
2. What is the theory of "degenerescence?"
(a) A heredity with maladies ended by producing a sexual pervert.
(b) The belief propogated that without medical help, sexual maladies will worsen until they consume the subject.
(c) Repression of sexuality degenerates with each generation.
(d) Without control of social institutions the population will slowly rid itself of sexual rules.
3. What were the effects of the power exercised over sexuality in the nineteenth century?
(a) It was successful in making the topic of sexuality taboo.
(b) It set practicable boundaries for sexuality.
(c) It created a multiplication of singular sexualities and pleasure power spirals.
(d) It set up a barrier against sexuality that was too rigid and provoked a backlash.
4. What does Foucault refer to as the triple edict of puritanism?
(a) Taboo, nonexistance, and silence.
(b) Shame, repentance, and redemption.
(c) Condemnation, ridicule, and rejection.
(d) Tolerance, modification, and acceptance.
5. Which of the following is NOT a mode of power that Foucault recognizes as being integral to sexuality in the nineteenth century?
(a) Classification of perversions.
(b) Analysis of sexuality.
(d) Medicalization of the sexually peculiar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the focus of the codes of sexual conduct up to the end of the eighteenth century?
2. What is scientia sexualis?
3. What does the hysterization of women's bodies refer to?
4. What can be said about the family unit and educational institutes in the nineteenth century?
5. In the classification of perversions, what was believed about the peripheral sexualities?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)