|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Scientia Sexualis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement is least correct, according to Foucault, about pedagogical institutions in the eighteenth century?
(a) They have established various points of implantation for sex.
(b) They have imposed ponderous silence on the sex of children.
(c) They have multiplied forms of discourse on sexuality of children.
(d) They have coded contents and qualified speakers regarding sex and children.
2. What does Foucault say is the "speaker's benefit?"
(a) Speaking is an effective way to repression.
(b) Speaking is a form of cleansing and purging.
(c) Speaking about something taboo is a transgression that gives the speaker a sense of power.
(d) Speaking gives the illusion of experience and knowledge.
3. What can be said about the discourse on sex Foucault sets forth?
(a) It is symptomatic of repression.
(b) It is a multiplicity of discourses produced by a many mechanisms and institutions.
(c) It is constrained to the educated and powerful population.
(d) It is an attempt to purge unwanted desires.
4. Which of the following is one of the theses that Foucault has presented?
(a) Sexual repression is not a historical fact.
(b) The discourse of sexual repression is part of the incitement to discourse on sex.
(c) Power is not derived primarily from repression.
(d) All of the above.
5. Which of the following did NOT happen to the nature of the confession?
(a) It became more vague about any actual sexual act.
(b) Sexual details became central to complete the confession and receive penance.
(c) Imposed meticulous rules of self examination.
(d) Became broad in nature to encompass thoughts, desires, and imaginings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the incitement to discourse?
2. Which of the following does Foucault NOT say was necessary to subjugate sex at the level of language after the beginning of the 17th century?
3. What is the connection Foucault makes between the author of "My Secret Life" and the peasant Jouy?
4. Which of the following best describes the levels of sexual discourse in the nineteenth century according to Foucault?
5. Which of the following is NOT listed as one of the accepted ways to free oneself from the effects of sexual repression?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)