|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leo sits in front of the typewriter and thinks about who?
2. Why does Bird pretend to be sick again?
3. Why does Bird write that he is going away?
4. How does Julian respond when Alma asks if he thinks David would have wanted Charlotte to fall in love again?
5. Sixteen years later, what has Zvi done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bird pretend to be sick?
2. What does Alma do when she goes into Bird's room while he is sleeping?
3. What does Leo believe about this manuscript, regarding Isaac?
4. Why does Alma become upset when she gets home?
5. What does Alma do when she arrives at the Municipal Archives? What happens when she goes to the City Clerk's office?
6. What happens when Alma Singer ends up at the address given for Alma Moritz?
7. How does Alma uncover the mystery about Jacob Marcus?
8. What happens when Uncle Julian leaves?
9. What does Leo do when he sits in front of the typewriter?
10. What has Bird written in his journal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bird narrates two of the chapters.
Part 1) Describe these two chapters. Why is he the narrator of these two chapters?
Part 2) What is revealed about Bird through these two chapters? How does this affect your opinion of Bird?
Part 3) Why does the author have Alma, Leo, and Bird narrate this book? Why are no other characters also narrators?
Essay Topic 2
Isaac is Leo's son.
Part 1) How is this discovered? What foreshadows this discovery?
Part 2) Does Isaac know he is Leo's son? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do various clues discovered throughout this story related to what Isaac might know about Leo affect Leo? Why?
Part 4) How does Leo feel about never knowing his son? How does he handle Isaac's death?
Essay Topic 3
Zvi adds a last chapter to the book called, "The Death of Leopold Gorsky."
Part 1) From does this chapter come? Why is this chapter important to Zvi?
Part 2) Why does he add this chapter? What does this say about Zvi?
Part 3) How does this act reinforce one of the story's themes?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)