|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alma leave and head to the City Clerk's office?
2. What does Zvi take from his coat?
3. Why is Bird mad at Alma?
4. What does Leo do when he calls the magazine's fiction department?
5. On Zvi's last morning in Poland, what does he watch his friend do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alma do on Saturday morning?
2. What does Alma do when she arrives at the Municipal Archives? What happens when she goes to the City Clerk's office?
3. What happens when no one answers at Leo's destination?
4. What does Zvi do when he gets to Alma's name in the book?
5. What has Bird written in his journal?
6. Describe Zvi and Rosa courtship.
7. How does Bird react when the rain stops and the firemen tear down his ark?
8. What does Leo believe about this manuscript, regarding Isaac?
9. What does Leo realize when he reads an article in a magazine?
10. What happens when Alma Singer ends up at the address given for Alma Moritz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several literary devices are used throughout the story.
Part 1) What literary devices are used? How are they used?
Part 2) How do these devices set the mood for the story, as well as provide information to the reader?
Part 3) Are these devices necessary to this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Alma's brother, Chaim, is called Bird.
Part 1) Why is he called Brid? How does this nickname reflect Bird's personality?
Part 2) What else is unique about Bird? How does this support one of the story's themes?
Part 3) How is Bird's behavior related to his father's death and his mother and sister's grief?
Essay Topic 3
Leo and Alma are brought together at the end of the story.
Part 1) How are they brought together? What events take place that lead to this meeting?
Part 2) Describe this meeting. Why is it significant?
Part 3) Predict how this meeting will permanently change these two characters.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)