|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian say about a self-portrait of Rembrandt?
2. About what does Alma want Bird to stop talking?
3. Why does Bird search through Alma's backpack again?
4. What does Alma tell the clerk about Alma Mereminski?
5. What does the contributor note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Alma Singer ends up at the address given for Alma Moritz?
2. What does Alma do when she arrives at the Municipal Archives? What happens when she goes to the City Clerk's office?
3. Why does Bird pretend to be sick?
4. What happens when Uncle Julian leaves?
5. What does Leo realize when he reads an article in a magazine?
6. What does Leo believe about this manuscript, regarding Isaac?
7. Where is Leo headed at the beginning of this chapter?
8. How is Bird confused by Alma's book?
9. What has Bird written in his journal?
10. What does Zvi do after leaving Poland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alma Singer is another narrator.
Part 1) Describe her. Why is she also a narrator?
Part 2) How do the chapters narrated by Alma compare to those by Leo?
Part 3) How does the author use parallel circumstances and relationships to connect these two characters? Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Zvi Litvinoff publishes Leo's book.
Part 1) Why does he publish Leo's book?
Part 2) How does Leo feel about this when he finds out? Why does he react this way?
Part 3) Why does Zvi add an extra chapter at the end of the book? What does this reveal about him?
Essay Topic 3
Alma is named after the Alma in The History of Love.
Part 1) Why is she named after this Alma?
Part 2) How might the fact that Alma Mereminski is Alma Singer's namesake affect Alma Singer? How might it influence choices she makes?
Part 3) What other parallel's exist between Alma Mereminski and Alma Singer, besides their names?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)