|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bird sneak into Alma's room and grab?
2. What does Leo do when he first enters the house?
3. What does he do when he goes upstairs?
4. What does Bird wonder about his mother?
5. What does Zvi do the night before he marries Rosa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zvi do when he gets to Alma's name in the book?
2. What happens when Alma Singer ends up at the address given for Alma Moritz?
3. What does Leo realize when he reads an article in a magazine?
4. What does Zvi not think about when he copies the pages of Leo's book?
5. What happens when Uncle Julian leaves?
6. What happens when no one answers at Leo's destination?
7. About what does Julina tell Alma while they are out to dinner?
8. What does Zvi do after leaving Poland?
9. What happens the night before Zvi dies?
10. How does Bird react when the rain stops and the firemen tear down his ark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leo becomes famous for loving one woman all his life and writing about it.
Part 1) How does this statement support one or more of the themes?
Part 2) Why has he only loved one woman? What message does this send to the reader?
Part 3) How is this idea of loving one individual echoed throughout this story? What is the purpose of this?
Essay Topic 2
Zvi Litvinoff publishes Leo's book.
Part 1) Why does he publish Leo's book?
Part 2) How does Leo feel about this when he finds out? Why does he react this way?
Part 3) Why does Zvi add an extra chapter at the end of the book? What does this reveal about him?
Essay Topic 3
One theme is about surviving after a loss.
Part 1) How is this a theme?
Part 2) How do the various characters survive after a loss? Are they able to overcome their grief? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might you survive after a loss? Is there a character whose way of grieving you can understand the most? Why?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)