|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Misha, a penpal, first writes to Alma when she is how old?
2. Pained that he does not know his son in the same way, what does Leo do?
3. For whom does Alma search the Internet?
4. What does Leo wonder about the book?
5. Leo looks under his pillow. What does he find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Emanuel Chaim known as Bird? What else is unique about Emanuel?
2. Who does Leo find in his apartment when he returns from the library? What does this person say to him?
3. What is learned about Zvi at the beginning of this chapter?
4. How does the reader learn most information about Zvi Litvinoff?
5. Why does Leo go into an empty bedroom in Bernard's house?
6. How do Charlotte and Alma deal with David's death?
7. About what does Leo write?
8. What takes place that affects Misha and Alma's friendship?
9. What does Leo do when he sees that his son has died?
10. What has Alma learned about Alma Mereminski? What does she believe is the connection between Mereminski and Litvinoff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David Singer dies when Alma is six.
Part 1) How does he die? How does his death affect the family?
Part 2) Do the family members grieve in healthy ways? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the grief of each family member affect the others in the family? How does it affect their relationships with others?
Essay Topic 2
Zvi adds a last chapter to the book called, "The Death of Leopold Gorsky."
Part 1) From does this chapter come? Why is this chapter important to Zvi?
Part 2) Why does he add this chapter? What does this say about Zvi?
Part 3) How does this act reinforce one of the story's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Leopold Gursky is one of the narrators.
Part 1) Describe him. How does the author give you information about this character throughout the story? How does this connect with what is being learned about other characters?
Part 2) What type of narrator is Leo? Do you feel that having the story narrated by him is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to this character? Why? How can you relate to him? Why?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)