|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alma do after reading The History of Love?
2. When did Rosa meet Zvi in Valparaiso?
3. What does Zvi do more as the years go by?
4. How does Rosa help Zvi?
5. Where is the book published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Leo surprised to see a copy of his book? How does this make him feel?
2. What does Alma wonder about The History of Love and its connection to her parents?
3. Why does Alma think that Alma Mereminski is a real person?
4. How do Charlotte and Alma deal with David's death?
5. What takes place in the book that seems to coincide with his life?
6. Why is Emanuel Chaim known as Bird? What else is unique about Emanuel?
7. Who does Leo find in his apartment when he returns from the library? What does this person say to him?
8. How do Zvi and Rosa meet and fall in love?
9. Why does Zvi's friend not show up to meet him?
10. How does Alma meet Misha? What does she share with Misha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme is of personal histories of love.
Part 1) How is this a theme?
Part 2) What personal histories of love are described?
Part 3) What is the purpose for having these personal histories of love? How do these stories engage the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Alma Singer is another narrator.
Part 1) Describe her. Why is she also a narrator?
Part 2) How do the chapters narrated by Alma compare to those by Leo?
Part 3) How does the author use parallel circumstances and relationships to connect these two characters? Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Zvi adds a last chapter to the book called, "The Death of Leopold Gorsky."
Part 1) From does this chapter come? Why is this chapter important to Zvi?
Part 2) Why does he add this chapter? What does this say about Zvi?
Part 3) How does this act reinforce one of the story's themes?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)