|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bruno's wife died, what did he do?
2. What does Misha say when Alma talks to him on the phone?
3. Who is Misha Shklovsky?
4. What does Leo notice about the names he originally used?
5. What does Alma do after reading The History of Love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leo go into an empty bedroom in Bernard's house?
2. About what does Leo write?
3. What does Leo do after his heart attack?
4. What would Zvi do with his friend frequently?
5. How do Zvi and Rosa meet and fall in love?
6. What does Zvi do the next, after staying with his friend? Why does he do this?
7. Who does Leo find in his apartment when he returns from the library? What does this person say to him?
8. How does Alma meet Misha? What does she share with Misha?
9. For what does Leo Gursky sign up? What does Bruno think about this?
10. Why is Emanuel Chaim known as Bird? What else is unique about Emanuel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The History of Love is Leo's story.
Part 1) Describe this story. Why does he write this?
Part 2) Why does he give it to Zvi? How does this story affect Zvi's life? Why does it affect his life?
Part 3) How does the history of Leo's book unfold as this story unfolds? What literary devices are used to tell these two stories simultaneously?
Essay Topic 2
Several literary devices are used throughout the story.
Part 1) What literary devices are used? How are they used?
Part 2) How do these devices set the mood for the story, as well as provide information to the reader?
Part 3) Are these devices necessary to this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bird narrates two of the chapters.
Part 1) Describe these two chapters. Why is he the narrator of these two chapters?
Part 2) What is revealed about Bird through these two chapters? How does this affect your opinion of Bird?
Part 3) Why does the author have Alma, Leo, and Bird narrate this book? Why are no other characters also narrators?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)