|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leo wonder about the book?
2. What does this person tell Leo he likes?
3. What does Leo notice about the names he originally used?
4. What does the letter say Alma finds in the trashcan?
5. What does Zvi think of often?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leo do after his heart attack?
2. What does Alma wonder about The History of Love and its connection to her parents?
3. How does the reader learn most information about Zvi Litvinoff?
4. About what does Leo write?
5. What takes place that affects Misha and Alma's friendship?
6. What does Zvi read to Rosa?
7. Why is Emanuel Chaim known as Bird? What else is unique about Emanuel?
8. What does Alma do when Jacob Marcus sends a response to her letter?
9. What takes place in the book that seems to coincide with his life?
10. For what does Leo Gursky sign up? What does Bruno think about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bird narrates two of the chapters.
Part 1) Describe these two chapters. Why is he the narrator of these two chapters?
Part 2) What is revealed about Bird through these two chapters? How does this affect your opinion of Bird?
Part 3) Why does the author have Alma, Leo, and Bird narrate this book? Why are no other characters also narrators?
Essay Topic 2
Several literary devices are used throughout the story.
Part 1) What literary devices are used? How are they used?
Part 2) How do these devices set the mood for the story, as well as provide information to the reader?
Part 3) Are these devices necessary to this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Leo and Alma are brought together at the end of the story.
Part 1) How are they brought together? What events take place that lead to this meeting?
Part 2) Describe this meeting. Why is it significant?
Part 3) Predict how this meeting will permanently change these two characters.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)