|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter say Alma finds in the trashcan?
(a) Julian has been kicked out by his wife and needs a place to stay.
(b) Julian defends his relationship with a colleague and accuses Frances of changing.
(c) Alma tells David that she will always love him but is ready to move on.
(d) Charlotte would like to meet Jacob in person.
2. What does Alma do after reading The History of Love?
(a) Alma mentions it to Bird.
(b) Alma prints the first fifteen chapters and hides them in her backpack.
(c) Alma asks her mother about it.
(d) Alma rereads it.
3. What does Alma do when Bird asks about their father?
(a) She tells him what she knows.
(b) She makes up several facts.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She says nothing.
4. Where does Alma's father David meet Alma's mother, Charlotte?
(a) On an Israeli kibbutz.
(b) In Chile.
(c) In the United States.
(d) In a concentration camp.
5. How long does Zvi sit with his friend?
(a) Until his friend falls asleep.
(b) For a few moments.
(c) A couple of hours.
(d) A week.
6. What happens to the original manuscript?
(a) It is thrown away.
(b) It is lost when their home is flooded.
(c) It is left in Poland.
(d) It is sent to Leo.
7. When Leo returns to his apartment, who does he find?
8. He watched over his friend the entire night, and how was his friend in the morning?
(c) Completely better.
(d) The same.
9. Why does Alma think Litvinoff did not give Alma Mereminski a Spanish name?
(a) Because Alma is the only real character.
(b) Because he was in love with her.
(c) Because he could not think of a better Spanish name.
(d) Because he loves the name Alma.
10. What has Leo enjoyed writing about since childhood?
(a) His life.
(c) Imaginary things.
11. What does Alma realize about the Alma in the book?
(a) She must be Charlotte.
(b) She must have been David's true love.
(c) She must have been a wonderful person.
(d) She must have been a real person.
12. Who had Leo sent excerpts to in America?
(a) The woman he loved.
(b) His best friend.
(d) His mother.
13. What does Leo notice about the text he is reading?
(a) They are his words.
(b) It is Bruno's handwriting.
(c) They are Alma's words.
(d) He does not recognize the handwriting.
14. What does Leo see when he arrives at Bernard's house?
(a) The house is full of mourners, all talking about Isaac.
(b) The house is filled with memories of Isaac.
(c) The house is full of Alma's family members.
(d) The house is full of Leo's friends.
15. What does Alma ask her mother about Alma?
(a) Last name.
(b) Where she is from.
(c) Where she lives.
(d) If she knew her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alma think that Mereminski came to New York?
2. Two months later, what does Zvi begin to do?
3. What makes Isaac stop as he leaves Starbucks?
4. For whom does Alma search the Internet?
5. What does Misha say when Alma talks to him on the phone?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)