|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does Alma's mother take to bed after David's death?
(a) Nearly a month.
(b) Nearly a year.
(c) Nearly six months.
(d) Nearly two years.
2. Misha, a penpal, first writes to Alma when she is how old?
3. What is unusual about Alma Mereminski's name?
(a) All of the other names in the book are Spanish.
(b) It is the only name in the book.
(c) It is mentioned over one hundred times.
(d) All of the other names in the book are Polish.
4. He watched over his friend the entire night, and how was his friend in the morning?
(c) The same.
(d) Completely better.
5. Why does Alma think that Mereminski came to New York?
(a) Litvinoff wrote about a string held by a woman who left for America.
(b) Litvinoff wrote about a woman who returned to New York.
(c) Litvinoff wrote about a woman who flew to New York.
(d) Litvinoff wrote about a string held by a woman who lives in Brooklyn.
6. What does Zvi, when leaving, put in his pocket?
(a) A copy of "The Death of Leopold Gursky."
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A letter from his friend.
(d) A new book.
7. When Bruno's wife died, what did he do?
(a) He moved in with Leo.
(b) He moved back to Poland.
(c) He moved into the apartment above Leo.
(d) He moved to the United States.
8. Who is Misha Shklovsky?
(a) The only boy Alma has ever kissed.
(b) Charlotte's last boyfriend.
(c) Alma's cousin.
(d) Leo's son.
9. What does Leo wonder about the book?
(a) How he lost it.
(b) If it is true.
(c) How it survived.
(d) Who wrote it.
10. What does Zvi do more as the years go by?
(b) Becomes depressed.
(c) Forgets memories.
(d) Writes books.
11. After whom is Alma Singer named?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Every girl in The History of Love.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Leo's mother.
12. What does this person tell Leo to do?
(a) Find his son.
(b) Contact Zvi.
(c) Call Rosa.
(d) Get his book back.
13. Who was Leo's favorite critic?
14. What does Alma start doing the next day?
(a) Looking for Jacob Marcus.
(b) Looking for Zvi.
(c) Looking for Leo.
(d) Looking for Alma Mereminski.
15. What happens to the original manuscript?
(a) It is left in Poland.
(b) It is thrown away.
(c) It is sent to Leo.
(d) It is lost when their home is flooded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does an original copy wind up?
2. What makes Isaac stop as he leaves Starbucks?
3. What does Leo buy?
4. What does this person tell Leo he likes?
5. Of what is Zvi Litvinoff the author?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)