|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who revised the book "Antiquities of the Jews" and may have changed the text of the book?
2. How long did the Israelites wander the desert after fleeing Egypt?
3. Who wrote the Gospels?
4. Whose historical writings are hard to reconcile with the Gospels?
5. What does A.D. stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Pilate was first asked to execute Jesus, why did he refuse?
2. What does the Gospel of Mark point out that Jesus could have done through his ability to heal the sick?
3. Why wasn't the history of Jesus examined until about 200 years ago?
4. In Chapter 14, what does Sanders say the historical proof suggests about Jesus in comparison to John the Baptist?
5. Why did Pilate finally decide to have Jesus executed?
6. How did Jesus use parables to illustrate the reversal of values?
7. According to the Gospel of Luke, what did some of the disciples do for some time before recognizing Jesus following the resurrection?
8. What are the terms B.C.E. and C.E. alternate abbreviations for, and what do they stand for?
9. Why do historians believe that Jesus was born between 5-7 B.C.E.?
10. What reason did Jesus give for overturning the tables at the Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the Gentiles treated differently from the Jews in the scriptures? Why does Sanders think this may be? What does it reveal about Jesus' ministry?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the Gospels problematic in terms of creating a factual history of Jesus? What problems do they present?
Essay Topic 3
How did Jesus go about his ministry? What methods did he use to spread his message? How did he teach? What significance is there in the location Jesus chose to work in?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)