|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between what dates do scholars accept that Jesus was crucified?
2. About which people did Josephus write?
3. The author describes the account of Jesus' life in this book as what?
4. Who is the author of this book?
5. How long did the Israelites wander the desert after fleeing Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story of the Prodigal Son illustrate a reversal of values?
2. What information do the Roman archives contain about Jesus' crucifixion?
3. What does Sanders say God calls His people to do in terms of ethical perfectionism?
4. What act symbolized the new covenant?
5. What did Jesus tell his disciples their return would be for sacrificing everything and following him?
6. What kind of ruler does Sanders say Antipas was in comparison to his father, Herod the Great?
7. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
8. What does the Gospel of Mark point out that Jesus could have done through his ability to heal the sick?
9. Once the Jews had changed their way of worshiping at around the time Jesus began his ministry, how did Satan's role change?
10. What did Jesus promise to anyone who was willing to make a sacrifice and follow him as a disciple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What qualifies E.P. Sanders to write a book such as this? What is his educational background? What experience does he have in the subject manner? Why is he considered an expert?
Essay Topic 2
What role in Jesus' ministry and life did the disciples play? Who were they and how did Jesus call them? What was their function in terms of Jesus' work?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two contexts Sanders examines Jesus' life in? Describe both and discuss what role each of them plays in constructing a history of Jesus.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)