|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose historical writings are hard to reconcile with the Gospels?
2. What structure do many historians claim there were none of in Palestine during Jesus' life?
3. Around what year did Jesus travel to Jerusalem and initiate a conflict?
4. Who revised the book "Antiquities of the Jews" and may have changed the text of the book?
5. How was Jesus' life originally recorded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do biblical scholars say that Jesus' conversation with the apostles concerning a promise to the disciples for a place in Heaven could not have taken place after the crucifixion?
2. According to external sources written in the first century, what was Jesus considered to be?
3. What information does Sanders say a historian must take into consideration when constructing a history?
4. Whose tables did Jesus overturn at the Temple?
5. Who were the two pairs of brothers that were disciples of Jesus?
6. When Pilate was first asked to execute Jesus, why did he refuse?
7. What did Jesus tell his followers they would have to do in order to know the Kingdom of Heaven?
8. How does Sanders say that many of the conflicts Jesus had with the laws in Galilee would be seen today?
9. Why wasn't the history of Jesus examined until about 200 years ago?
10. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the discrepancies that arise concerning the resurrection? Why are these discrepancies problematic?
Essay Topic 2
What was the political structure at the time of Jesus' life? What role did religion play in the leadership? How did politics affect Jesus and the events of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Jesus' claim to be the Son of God problematic? What images of Jesus does the claim produce? What does the term Messiah mean now and what did it mean in Jesus' time? Why was the term acceptable to Jesus?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)