|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem with the Gospels makes it hard to determine the date of Jesus' birth?
2. What years was the revolt that broke out in Palestine, which may have destroyed any records about Jesus?
3. Capernaum is a small town in what?
4. Which Gospel conflicts with the others in its account of the crucifixion?
5. What significant event, which became a Christian ordinance, took place prior to Jesus' execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sanders believe about any proof of Jesus giving himself a title?
2. In Chapter 1, in addition to examining the history of the Christian church, what else does Sanders say he will examine about the Christian church.
3. How does the story of the Prodigal Son illustrate a reversal of values?
4. Who were the two pairs of brothers that were disciples of Jesus?
5. Between what two groups was opposition of the law considered a basis for major conflict?
6. What does Sanders conclude about what we know about Jesus?
7. What prompted Jesus to begin his ministry at around the age of 20?
8. What speculation does Sanders make about why the majority of the scriptures cater to the Gentiles rather than the Jews?
9. What changed about the way the Jews worshiped at around the same time that Jesus began his ministry?
10. Why do historians believe that Jesus was born between 5-7 B.C.E.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about what is written about Jesus in external sources? Does he play prominently in other sources? Why? Do these external sources help or hinder historians in determining what Jesus' life was like?
Essay Topic 2
How did Jesus go about his ministry? What methods did he use to spread his message? How did he teach? What significance is there in the location Jesus chose to work in?
Essay Topic 3
What is controversial about the scene at the Temple? What are the two common beliefs held about Jesus' actions at the Temple? What does each of these views say about Jesus and his ministry?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)