|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does B.C. stand for?
2. How much is Pontius Pilate mentioned in the histories written by Roman authors?
3. Around what year did Jesus travel to Jerusalem and initiate a conflict?
4. Who wrote the Gospels?
5. Who wrote the book "Antiquities of the Jews?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say the apostles were accountable to?
2. What structures did archeologists find that dated back to 70 C.E., thus alleviating some of the controversy about where Jesus taught?
3. What changed about the way the Jews worshiped at around the same time that Jesus began his ministry?
4. What is a legendary figure?
5. What did Jesus' claim to be the Son of God make him appear to be to his critics?
6. What did Jesus tell the apostles they would one day rule over?
7. What does Sanders conclude about what we know about Jesus?
8. What does the fact that the Gospel of Mark focuses on detailing Jesus' miracles while the Gospels of Matthew and Luke focus on Jesus' teachings say about those two aspects of Jesus' life?
9. Why do biblical scholars say that Jesus' conversation with the apostles concerning a promise to the disciples for a place in Heaven could not have taken place after the crucifixion?
10. What did Jesus promise to anyone who was willing to make a sacrifice and follow him as a disciple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role in Jesus' ministry and life did the disciples play? Who were they and how did Jesus call them? What was their function in terms of Jesus' work?
Essay Topic 2
How are the Gentiles treated differently from the Jews in the scriptures? Why does Sanders think this may be? What does it reveal about Jesus' ministry?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did John the Baptist have on Jesus' life and his ministry? What events in Jesus' life was John involved in? What was John like in comparison to Jesus?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)