|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book "Antiquities of the Jews?"
2. How were the stories in the Gospels originally shared?
3. Whose historical writings are hard to reconcile with the Gospels?
4. According to Sanders, through what context do many people see Jesus?
5. What did the disciples continue to do after the resurrection?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Pilate was first asked to execute Jesus, why did he refuse?
2. What does the Gospel of Mark point out that Jesus could have done through his ability to heal the sick?
3. Why wasn't Jesus successful in his attempts to preach in Nazareth?
4. Why was anyone who opposed the law seen as a heretic or blasphemer in Jesus' time?
5. What does Sanders believe about any proof of Jesus giving himself a title?
6. Why were miracle workers more likely to be celebrated in the ancient world than they are today?
7. In Chapter 14, what does Sanders say the historical proof suggests about Jesus in comparison to John the Baptist?
8. Who do historians believed helped take care of the disciples since they no longer worked for a living after they began to follow Jesus?
9. In "Miracles," Sanders poses two views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles. What are the two views?
10. In Chapter 1, in addition to examining the history of the Christian church, what else does Sanders say he will examine about the Christian church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the date of Jesus' birth is controversial. Why is it so difficult to determine when he was actually born? What are the differing beliefs? What does Sanders seem to accept as the most accurate date? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the timing of Jesus' discussion with the apostles about their reward of a place in Heaven problematic? What issues does this create for historians?
Essay Topic 3
What is meant by the "Kingdom of God?" Why is it difficult to come up with a definite definition of this phrase? What does Sanders say are the two things that are known for certain about the Kingdom?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)