|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Josephus study?
2. At one time, examining the life of Jesus was considered what?
3. According to historical documents, when did the crucifixion take place?
4. What does C.E. stand for?
5. Capernaum is a small town in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jesus' claim to be the Son of God make him appear to be to his critics?
2. What opposing view to Jesus' prediction at the Temple do some people have?
3. Why was it important for government leaders to be knowledgeable of divine law?
4. What prompted Jesus to begin his ministry at around the age of 20?
5. How does the story of the Prodigal Son illustrate a reversal of values?
6. What speculation does Sanders make about why the majority of the scriptures cater to the Gentiles rather than the Jews?
7. What prediction do some people believe Jesus made at the Temple?
8. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
9. Why did Pilate finally decide to have Jesus executed?
10. What information do the Roman archives contain about Jesus' crucifixion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is history and how does E.P. Sanders treat the information presented in this book in terms of its historical merit? Why does he consider Jesus a legendary figure and not a historical one?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Jesus' claim to be the Son of God problematic? What images of Jesus does the claim produce? What does the term Messiah mean now and what did it mean in Jesus' time? Why was the term acceptable to Jesus?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the date of Jesus' birth is controversial. Why is it so difficult to determine when he was actually born? What are the differing beliefs? What does Sanders seem to accept as the most accurate date? Why?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)