|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Jesus' birthday traditionally celebrated?
2. According to Sanders, through what context do many people see Jesus?
3. There are key differences between the Gospels and what science?
4. What was Jesus able to do that John the Baptist could not?
5. The author states that, unlike figures such as Thomas Jefferson or Winston Churchill, what are the people in this book considered to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why weren't the disciples with the women when they rolled the stone away from Jesus' tomb?
2. In Chapter 14, what does Sanders say the historical proof suggests about Jesus in comparison to John the Baptist?
3. Whose tables did Jesus overturn at the Temple?
4. Why do historians believe that Jesus was born between 5-7 B.C.E.?
5. What did Jesus tell his disciples their return would be for sacrificing everything and following him?
6. How does the story of the Prodigal Son illustrate a reversal of values?
7. What act symbolized the new covenant?
8. How were the Gospels initially passed down to early Christians?
9. What is a legendary figure?
10. Why wasn't the history of Jesus examined until about 200 years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jesus go about his ministry? What methods did he use to spread his message? How did he teach? What significance is there in the location Jesus chose to work in?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the Gospels problematic in terms of creating a factual history of Jesus? What problems do they present?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the timing of Jesus' discussion with the apostles about their reward of a place in Heaven problematic? What issues does this create for historians?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)