|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does A.D. stand for?
2. Which Gospel conflicts with the others in its account of the crucifixion?
3. Who was the high priest of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus?
4. Who is the author of this book?
5. What did Josephus study?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say the apostles were accountable to?
2. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say Jesus was accountable to?
3. What information do the Roman archives contain about Jesus' crucifixion?
4. What does the Gospel of Mark point out that Jesus could have done through his ability to heal the sick?
5. What prompted Jesus to begin his ministry at around the age of 20?
6. What kind of ruler does Sanders say Antipas was in comparison to his father, Herod the Great?
7. Why weren't the disciples with the women when they rolled the stone away from Jesus' tomb?
8. Why were miracle workers more likely to be celebrated in the ancient world than they are today?
9. Why was anyone who opposed the law seen as a heretic or blasphemer in Jesus' time?
10. How did Jesus use parables to illustrate the reversal of values?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two common views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles? How do the Gospels treat Jesus' miracles? What does this suggest about Jesus' career?
Essay Topic 2
What are the two contexts Sanders examines Jesus' life in? Describe both and discuss what role each of them plays in constructing a history of Jesus.
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about what is written about Jesus in external sources? Does he play prominently in other sources? Why? Do these external sources help or hinder historians in determining what Jesus' life was like?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)