|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mention of the crucifixion of Jesus is contained in the Roman archives?
2. The author says that that Jesus cannot be considered a historical figure because of the non-existence of what?
3. About which fact of Jesus' life is there no conflict?
4. How does the author state Jesus is seen in non-Christian literature?
5. What does B.C. stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Sanders say was a large focus of Jesus' work?
2. What point does Sanders make about ethical perfectionism in terms of marriage?
3. Why do biblical scholars say that Jesus' conversation with the apostles concerning a promise to the disciples for a place in Heaven could not have taken place after the crucifixion?
4. Why did Pilate finally decide to have Jesus executed?
5. What two points does Sanders say are made clear about the Kingdom of God?
6. What did Jesus tell his followers they would have to do in order to know the Kingdom of Heaven?
7. Why weren't the disciples with the women when they rolled the stone away from Jesus' tomb?
8. What information does Sanders say a historian must take into consideration when constructing a history?
9. What prediction do some people believe Jesus made at the Temple?
10. According to external sources written in the first century, what was Jesus considered to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a "reversal of values" in terms of Jesus' ministry? What does the phrase mean and how is it seen in Jesus' teachings? What method does Jesus use to illustrate this theme and how does he use them? Please give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about what is written about Jesus in external sources? Does he play prominently in other sources? Why? Do these external sources help or hinder historians in determining what Jesus' life was like?
Essay Topic 3
What are the discrepancies that arise concerning the resurrection? Why are these discrepancies problematic?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)