|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had a large influence on Jesus' life and ministry?
2. What does C.E. stand for?
3. At one time, examining the life of Jesus was considered what?
4. What significant event, which became a Christian ordinance, took place prior to Jesus' execution?
5. How much is Pontius Pilate mentioned in the histories written by Roman authors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jesus tell the apostles they would one day rule over?
2. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
3. What opposing view to Jesus' prediction at the Temple do some people have?
4. Why wasn't Jesus convicted after the scene at the Temple?
5. What does Sanders conclude about what we know about Jesus?
6. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say the apostles were accountable to?
7. In "Miracles," Sanders poses two views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles. What are the two views?
8. What does the fact that the Gospel of Mark focuses on detailing Jesus' miracles while the Gospels of Matthew and Luke focus on Jesus' teachings say about those two aspects of Jesus' life?
9. Who were the two pairs of brothers that were disciples of Jesus?
10. Why do historians believe that Jesus was born between 5-7 B.C.E.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Jesus' claim to be the Son of God problematic? What images of Jesus does the claim produce? What does the term Messiah mean now and what did it mean in Jesus' time? Why was the term acceptable to Jesus?
Essay Topic 2
What are the two contexts Sanders examines Jesus' life in? Describe both and discuss what role each of them plays in constructing a history of Jesus.
Essay Topic 3
How did Jesus go about his ministry? What methods did he use to spread his message? How did he teach? What significance is there in the location Jesus chose to work in?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)