|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the high priest of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus?
2. What years was the revolt that broke out in Palestine, which may have destroyed any records about Jesus?
3. What must a historian weigh?
4. According to historical documents, when did the crucifixion take place?
5. What did the disciples continue to do after the resurrection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sanders say Jesus' small following did in comparison to other movements throughout history?
2. How were the Gospels initially passed down to early Christians?
3. What reason did Jesus give for overturning the tables at the Temple?
4. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
5. What kind of ruler does Sanders say Antipas was in comparison to his father, Herod the Great?
6. What does Sanders believe about any proof of Jesus giving himself a title?
7. Why is it almost impossible to determine the dates of events that occurred in the ancient world?
8. When Pilate was first asked to execute Jesus, why did he refuse?
9. What prompted Jesus to begin his ministry at around the age of 20?
10. Once the Jews had changed their way of worshiping at around the time Jesus began his ministry, how did Satan's role change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the timing of Jesus' discussion with the apostles about their reward of a place in Heaven problematic? What issues does this create for historians?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the date of Jesus' birth is controversial. Why is it so difficult to determine when he was actually born? What are the differing beliefs? What does Sanders seem to accept as the most accurate date? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two common views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles? How do the Gospels treat Jesus' miracles? What does this suggest about Jesus' career?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)