|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thomas Jefferson and Winston Churchill have that Jesus does not?
2. Where did Jesus do the majority of his work?
3. How was Jesus' life originally recorded?
4. Between what dates do scholars accept that Jesus was crucified?
5. Who wrote the Gospels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once the Jews had changed their way of worshiping at around the time Jesus began his ministry, how did Satan's role change?
2. Why wasn't Jesus successful in his attempts to preach in Nazareth?
3. Who wrote the Gospels?
4. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
5. What speculation does Sanders make about why the majority of the scriptures cater to the Gentiles rather than the Jews?
6. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say Jesus was accountable to?
7. Who were the two pairs of brothers that were disciples of Jesus?
8. In "Miracles," Sanders poses two views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles. What are the two views?
9. Why wasn't the history of Jesus examined until about 200 years ago?
10. According to the Gospel of Luke, what did some of the disciples do for some time before recognizing Jesus following the resurrection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Jesus' claim to be the Son of God problematic? What images of Jesus does the claim produce? What does the term Messiah mean now and what did it mean in Jesus' time? Why was the term acceptable to Jesus?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the Gospels problematic in terms of creating a factual history of Jesus? What problems do they present?
Essay Topic 3
What was the political structure at the time of Jesus' life? What role did religion play in the leadership? How did politics affect Jesus and the events of his life?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)