|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Josephus study?
2. When did people begin to examine the history of Jesus?
3. What years was the revolt that broke out in Palestine, which may have destroyed any records about Jesus?
4. How long did the Israelites wander the desert after fleeing Egypt?
5. Which Gospel conflicts with the others in its account of the crucifixion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do the Roman archives contain about Jesus' crucifixion?
2. What opposing view to Jesus' prediction at the Temple do some people have?
3. What does the fact that the Gospel of Mark focuses on detailing Jesus' miracles while the Gospels of Matthew and Luke focus on Jesus' teachings say about those two aspects of Jesus' life?
4. Who do historians believed helped take care of the disciples since they no longer worked for a living after they began to follow Jesus?
5. Once the Jews had changed their way of worshiping at around the time Jesus began his ministry, how did Satan's role change?
6. What speculation does Sanders make about why the majority of the scriptures cater to the Gentiles rather than the Jews?
7. What prompted Jesus to begin his ministry at around the age of 20?
8. What two points does Sanders say are made clear about the Kingdom of God?
9. What kind of ruler does Sanders say Antipas was in comparison to his father, Herod the Great?
10. According to external sources written in the first century, what was Jesus considered to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about what is written about Jesus in external sources? Does he play prominently in other sources? Why? Do these external sources help or hinder historians in determining what Jesus' life was like?
Essay Topic 2
What is history and how does E.P. Sanders treat the information presented in this book in terms of its historical merit? Why does he consider Jesus a legendary figure and not a historical one?
Essay Topic 3
What is a "reversal of values" in terms of Jesus' ministry? What does the phrase mean and how is it seen in Jesus' teachings? What method does Jesus use to illustrate this theme and how does he use them? Please give specific examples.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)