|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date do the Gospels claim the crucifixion took place on?
2. There are key differences between the Gospels and what science?
3. What did Jesus claim to have had following his baptism?
4. Where did Jesus spend the majority of his childhood?
5. What did Josephus study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What areas did the scholar Josephus study?
2. What does the fact that the Gospel of Mark focuses on detailing Jesus' miracles while the Gospels of Matthew and Luke focus on Jesus' teachings say about those two aspects of Jesus' life?
3. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say the apostles were accountable to?
4. Who were the two pairs of brothers that were disciples of Jesus?
5. How does the author say he will treat this examination of the life of Jesus throughout the book?
6. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say Jesus was accountable to?
7. Who do historians believed helped take care of the disciples since they no longer worked for a living after they began to follow Jesus?
8. Why was anyone who opposed the law seen as a heretic or blasphemer in Jesus' time?
9. Why weren't the disciples with the women when they rolled the stone away from Jesus' tomb?
10. What does Sanders say Jesus' small following did in comparison to other movements throughout history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Jesus' claim to be the Son of God problematic? What images of Jesus does the claim produce? What does the term Messiah mean now and what did it mean in Jesus' time? Why was the term acceptable to Jesus?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the Gospels problematic in terms of creating a factual history of Jesus? What problems do they present?
Essay Topic 3
What are the discrepancies that arise concerning the resurrection? Why are these discrepancies problematic?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)