|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one time, examining the life of Jesus was considered what?
2. According to Sanders, through what context do many people see Jesus?
3. What do Thomas Jefferson and Winston Churchill have that Jesus does not?
4. What was the result of Jesus' attempt to preach in Nazareth?
5. What date do the Gospels claim the crucifixion took place on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act symbolized the new covenant?
2. What did Jesus promise to anyone who was willing to make a sacrifice and follow him as a disciple?
3. What does the fact that the Gospel of Mark focuses on detailing Jesus' miracles while the Gospels of Matthew and Luke focus on Jesus' teachings say about those two aspects of Jesus' life?
4. How does the author say he will treat this examination of the life of Jesus throughout the book?
5. In "Miracles," Sanders poses two views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles. What are the two views?
6. What speculation does Sanders make about why the majority of the scriptures cater to the Gentiles rather than the Jews?
7. What are the terms B.C.E. and C.E. alternate abbreviations for, and what do they stand for?
8. What changed about the way the Jews worshiped at around the same time that Jesus began his ministry?
9. What did Jesus tell the apostles they would one day rule over?
10. What structures did archeologists find that dated back to 70 C.E., thus alleviating some of the controversy about where Jesus taught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two common views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles? How do the Gospels treat Jesus' miracles? What does this suggest about Jesus' career?
Essay Topic 2
What is meant by the "Kingdom of God?" Why is it difficult to come up with a definite definition of this phrase? What does Sanders say are the two things that are known for certain about the Kingdom?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two contexts Sanders examines Jesus' life in? Describe both and discuss what role each of them plays in constructing a history of Jesus.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)