|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Thomas Jefferson and Winston Churchill have that Jesus does not?
(a) A larger following.
(b) The ability to teach people.
(c) No proof of their actions.
(d) Historical proof of what they said and did.
2. Up to approximately what date does the author say he will discuss early theology?
(a) 80 C.E.
(b) 134 C.E.
(c) 30 C.E.
(d) 12 B.C.E.
3. What structure do many historians claim there were none of in Palestine during Jesus' life?
(c) Government buildings.
4. According to historical documents, when did the crucifixion take place?
(a) Between 26 and 36 C.E.
(b) Between 5 and 7 C.E.
(c) Between 16 and 26 C.E.
(d) Between 20 and 30 C.E.
5. Who was the high priest of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus?
(a) Pontius Pilate.
(b) Herod Antipas.
(c) Joseph Caiaphas.
(d) Judas Iscariot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Jerusalem did Jesus start a disturbance?
2. What mention of the crucifixion of Jesus is contained in the Roman archives?
3. How much is Pontius Pilate mentioned in the histories written by Roman authors?
4. When did people begin to examine the history of Jesus?
5. What problem with the Gospels makes it hard to determine the date of Jesus' birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to external sources written in the first century, what was Jesus considered to be?
2. What reason did Jesus give for overturning the tables at the Temple?
3. What information does Sanders say a historian must take into consideration when constructing a history?
4. Between what two groups was opposition of the law considered a basis for major conflict?
5. What areas did the scholar Josephus study?
6. Why were miracle workers more likely to be celebrated in the ancient world than they are today?
7. Why do historians believe that Jesus was born between 5-7 B.C.E.?
8. Once the Jews had changed their way of worshiping at around the time Jesus began his ministry, how did Satan's role change?
9. What does Sanders say Jesus' small following did in comparison to other movements throughout history?
10. When Pilate was first asked to execute Jesus, why did he refuse?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)