|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Up to approximately what date does the author say he will discuss early theology?
(a) 134 C.E.
(b) 12 B.C.E.
(c) 80 C.E.
(d) 30 C.E.
2. The Gospels are missing characteristics of what type of literature, which makes them problematic?
3. Who was the semi-independent ruler of Palestine during the period that Jesus lived?
(a) Joseph Caiaphas.
(b) Herod Antipas.
(d) Pontius Pilate.
4. There is no evidence that the disciples did what after joining Jesus?
(b) Ate the Last Supper with him.
(c) Spread Jesus' teachings.
(d) Travelled with him.
5. What is difficult to determine with accuracy from ancient times?
(b) The place where Jesus worked.
(c) The names of the people in government.
(d) The existence of Pilate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before becoming monotheists, whom did the Jews believe was the right hand of God?
2. The author says that that Jesus cannot be considered a historical figure because of the non-existence of what?
3. What aspects of Jesus' life does the author claim he will attempt to explain?
4. Which Gospel conflicts with the others in its account of the crucifixion?
5. How much is Pontius Pilate mentioned in the histories written by Roman authors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important for government leaders to be knowledgeable of divine law?
2. Why do biblical scholars say that Jesus' conversation with the apostles concerning a promise to the disciples for a place in Heaven could not have taken place after the crucifixion?
3. Why wasn't Jesus successful in his attempts to preach in Nazareth?
4. What did Jesus tell his followers they would have to do in order to know the Kingdom of Heaven?
5. What information does Sanders say a historian must take into consideration when constructing a history?
6. Why is it almost impossible to determine the dates of events that occurred in the ancient world?
7. What structures did archeologists find that dated back to 70 C.E., thus alleviating some of the controversy about where Jesus taught?
8. According to the Gospel of Luke, what did some of the disciples do for some time before recognizing Jesus following the resurrection?
9. Why weren't the disciples with the women when they rolled the stone away from Jesus' tomb?
10. What did Jesus' claim to be the Son of God make him appear to be to his critics?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)