|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author state Jesus is seen in non-Christian literature?
(a) As a powerful man.
(b) As a great leader.
(c) As relatively unknown.
(d) As an amazing performer of miracles.
2. When did people begin to examine the history of Jesus?
(a) About 1000 years ago.
(b) A little over 200 years ago.
(c) About 50 years ago.
(d) As soon as he died.
3. The author describes the account of Jesus' life in this book as what?
(a) A mix of fact and fiction.
(b) Purely fictional.
(c) Purely historical.
4. How were the stories in the Gospels originally shared?
(a) In complete written narratives.
(b) In newspapers.
(c) Through the oral tradition.
(d) Through the writing of the Gospels.
5. What did Josephus study?
(a) History and biblical law.
(b) Palestinian ceremonies.
(d) The culture of Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jesus spend the majority of his childhood?
2. What was Jesus able to do that John the Baptist could not?
3. What aspects of Jesus' life does the author claim he will attempt to explain?
4. When is Jesus' birthday traditionally celebrated?
5. What do Thomas Jefferson and Winston Churchill have that Jesus does not?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changed about the way the Jews worshiped at around the same time that Jesus began his ministry?
2. What does Sanders believe about any proof of Jesus giving himself a title?
3. Why was it important for government leaders to be knowledgeable of divine law?
4. In Chapter 14, what does Sanders say the historical proof suggests about Jesus in comparison to John the Baptist?
5. What information does Sanders say a historian must take into consideration when constructing a history?
6. What does the fact that the Gospel of Mark focuses on detailing Jesus' miracles while the Gospels of Matthew and Luke focus on Jesus' teachings say about those two aspects of Jesus' life?
7. What prediction do some people believe Jesus made at the Temple?
8. Why do biblical scholars say that Jesus' conversation with the apostles concerning a promise to the disciples for a place in Heaven could not have taken place after the crucifixion?
9. In "Miracles," Sanders poses two views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles. What are the two views?
10. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)