|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Up to approximately what date does the author say he will discuss early theology?
(a) 12 B.C.E.
(b) 30 C.E.
(c) 134 C.E.
(d) 80 C.E.
2. Which Gospel tells the happenings in the early part of Jesus' career?
3. Who revised the book "Antiquities of the Jews" and may have changed the text of the book?
(b) It has not been revised.
(c) Christian scribes.
4. What date do the Gospels claim the crucifixion took place on?
(a) April 16.
(b) Friday 15, Nisan.
(c) Sunday 17, Nisan.
(d) Ash Wednesday.
5. Capernaum is a small town in what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Around what year does the author believe Jesus was born?
2. What is difficult to determine with accuracy from ancient times?
3. Who had a large influence on Jesus' life and ministry?
4. How was Jesus' life originally recorded?
5. What must a historian weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sanders say Jesus' small following did in comparison to other movements throughout history?
2. In Chapter 15, whom does Sanders say the apostles were accountable to?
3. What did Jesus' claim to be the Son of God make him appear to be to his critics?
4. What does the Gospel of Mark point out that Jesus could have done through his ability to heal the sick?
5. What speculation does Sanders make about why the majority of the scriptures cater to the Gentiles rather than the Jews?
6. How does the story of the Prodigal Son illustrate a reversal of values?
7. When Pilate was first asked to execute Jesus, why did he refuse?
8. What point does Sanders make about ethical perfectionism in terms of marriage?
9. What are the terms B.C.E. and C.E. alternate abbreviations for, and what do they stand for?
10. How does Sanders say that many of the conflicts Jesus had with the laws in Galilee would be seen today?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)