|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the Israelites wander the desert after fleeing Egypt?
(a) 40 days.
(b) 11 months.
(c) 40 years.
(d) One year.
2. According to Sanders, through what context do many people see Jesus?
(a) As a government leader.
(c) Theology and salvation.
(d) As a mythical being.
3. How does the author state Jesus is seen in non-Christian literature?
(a) As relatively unknown.
(b) As a great leader.
(c) As a powerful man.
(d) As an amazing performer of miracles.
4. Where did Jesus do the majority of his work?
5. What is difficult to determine with accuracy from ancient times?
(a) The place where Jesus worked.
(c) The existence of Pilate.
(d) The names of the people in government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between what dates do scholars accept that Jesus was crucified?
2. The author indicates that Jesus was born around the time of whose death?
3. The author says that that Jesus cannot be considered a historical figure because of the non-existence of what?
4. Around what year does the author believe Jesus was born?
5. Who wrote the Gospels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was anyone who opposed the law seen as a heretic or blasphemer in Jesus' time?
2. In "Miracles," Sanders poses two views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles. What are the two views?
3. When Pilate was first asked to execute Jesus, why did he refuse?
4. How were the Gospels initially passed down to early Christians?
5. What does Sanders say Jesus' small following did in comparison to other movements throughout history?
6. In Chapter 12, what does Sanders say was a large focus of Jesus' work?
7. Why were miracle workers more likely to be celebrated in the ancient world than they are today?
8. Why wasn't Jesus successful in his attempts to preach in Nazareth?
9. According to external sources written in the first century, what was Jesus considered to be?
10. What areas did the scholar Josephus study?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)