|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Pontius Pilate mentioned in the histories written by Roman authors?
(a) Mentioned only incidentally.
(b) Mentioned a great deal.
(c) A complete history of his life is documented.
(d) He is not mentioned.
2. Who is the author of this book?
(a) E.P. Sanders.
(b) Michael Parker.
(c) Samuel Josephus.
(d) Bishop Linda Lee.
3. Which Gospel conflicts with the others in its account of the crucifixion?
4. The Gospels are missing characteristics of what type of literature, which makes them problematic?
5. The author states that, unlike figures such as Thomas Jefferson or Winston Churchill, what are the people in this book considered to be?
(d) Divine beings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main problem historians have with the calendars used by the ancients?
2. What problem with the Gospels makes it hard to determine the date of Jesus' birth?
3. Who was the semi-independent ruler of Palestine during the period that Jesus lived?
4. What relation were Jesus' disciples Andrew and Peter?
5. What area do the histories written by Roman authors mainly cover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jesus' date of birth considered controversial?
2. Why weren't the disciples with the women when they rolled the stone away from Jesus' tomb?
3. Why wasn't Jesus convicted after the scene at the Temple?
4. Why do historians believe that Jesus was born between 5-7 B.C.E.?
5. According to the Gospel of Luke, what did some of the disciples do for some time before recognizing Jesus following the resurrection?
6. Whose tables did Jesus overturn at the Temple?
7. Who were the two pairs of brothers that were disciples of Jesus?
8. In Chapter 14, what does Sanders say the historical proof suggests about Jesus in comparison to John the Baptist?
9. In "Miracles," Sanders poses two views of Jesus' ability to perform miracles. What are the two views?
10. Why was it important for government leaders to be knowledgeable of divine law?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)