|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jesus do the majority of his work?
2. What did Josephus study?
(a) The culture of Israel.
(c) Palestinian ceremonies.
(d) History and biblical law.
3. About which people did Josephus write?
(a) The Palestinians.
(b) The Israelites.
(c) The Jews.
(d) The Gentiles.
4. What does B.C.E stand for?
(a) Before Common Era.
(b) Between Christ's Eras.
(c) Before Common Evolution.
(d) Before Christ's Era.
5. Capernaum is a small town in what?
6. How many tribes of Israel were there in Jesus' time?
7. The author indicates that Jesus was born around the time of whose death?
(a) John the Baptist.
(d) Herod the Great.
8. The author states that, unlike figures such as Thomas Jefferson or Winston Churchill, what are the people in this book considered to be?
(c) Divine beings.
9. What area do the histories written by Roman authors mainly cover?
(b) Rome proper.
10. Whose historical writings are hard to reconcile with the Gospels?
11. Who was the high priest of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus?
(a) Joseph Caiaphas.
(b) Pontius Pilate.
(c) Herod Antipas.
(d) Judas Iscariot.
12. What must a historian weigh?
(a) Only the facts.
(b) Facts, news stories, and rumors.
(c) The way his work will be received by the public.
(d) Oral traditions.
13. Who was the semi-independent ruler of Palestine during the period that Jesus lived?
(a) Pontius Pilate.
(b) Joseph Caiaphas.
(d) Herod Antipas.
14. What structure do many historians claim there were none of in Palestine during Jesus' life?
(d) Government buildings.
15. What rural area did Jesus begin teaching in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who represented the Roman Empire in Judea at the time of Jesus?
2. What problem with the Gospels makes it hard to determine the date of Jesus' birth?
3. What date do the Gospels claim the crucifixion took place on?
4. How many others were executed with Jesus?
5. How long did the Israelites wander the desert after fleeing Egypt?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)