|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author says that that Jesus cannot be considered a historical figure because of the non-existence of what?
(b) Surviving documents.
(c) Oral traditions.
(d) Books written about him.
2. What was Jesus able to do that John the Baptist could not?
(a) Baptize people.
(b) Heal the sick.
(d) Teach people.
3. Up to approximately what date does the author say he will discuss early theology?
(a) 80 C.E.
(b) 12 B.C.E.
(c) 134 C.E.
(d) 30 C.E.
4. What rural area did Jesus begin teaching in?
5. How many tribes of Israel were there in Jesus' time?
6. What season does the author indicate he believes Jesus was born during?
7. Who was the high priest of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus?
(a) Joseph Caiaphas.
(b) Judas Iscariot.
(c) Herod Antipas.
(d) Pontius Pilate.
8. What problem with the Gospels makes it hard to determine the date of Jesus' birth?
(a) They are often in conflict with each other.
(b) They are difficult to read.
(c) They don't talk about Jesus' birth.
(d) They have been revised to hide the date.
9. At one time, examining the life of Jesus was considered what?
(d) A sure way to Heaven.
10. There are key differences between the Gospels and what science?
11. Who was the semi-independent ruler of Palestine during the period that Jesus lived?
(a) Pontius Pilate.
(b) Joseph Caiaphas.
(c) Herod Antipas.
12. How does the author state Jesus is seen in non-Christian literature?
(a) As a powerful man.
(b) As an amazing performer of miracles.
(c) As relatively unknown.
(d) As a great leader.
13. Between what dates do scholars accept that Jesus was crucified?
(a) 29 and 31 C.E.
(b) Between 5 and 7 C.E.
(c) Between 35 and 40 C.E.
(d) Between 10 B.C.E. and 1 C.E.
14. Whose historical writings are hard to reconcile with the Gospels?
15. Around what year does the author believe Jesus was born?
(a) 15 B.C.E.
(b) 1 B.C.E.
(c) 1 C.E.
(d) 5 B.C.E.
Short Answer Questions
1. Capernaum is a small town in what?
2. When did people begin to examine the history of Jesus?
3. What was the result of Jesus' attempt to preach in Nazareth?
4. The author indicates that Jesus was born around the time of whose death?
5. How long did Jesus fast in the desert?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)