|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Pontius Pilate mentioned in the histories written by Roman authors?
(a) Mentioned only incidentally.
(b) He is not mentioned.
(c) Mentioned a great deal.
(d) A complete history of his life is documented.
2. The author indicates that Jesus was born around the time of whose death?
(a) John the Baptist.
(b) Herod the Great.
3. Who revised the book "Antiquities of the Jews" and may have changed the text of the book?
(a) It has not been revised.
(d) Christian scribes.
4. Who represented the Roman Empire in Judea at the time of Jesus?
(a) Joseph Caiaphas.
(b) Herod Antipas.
(c) Pontius Pilate.
(d) Judas Iscariot.
5. What do Thomas Jefferson and Winston Churchill have that Jesus does not?
(a) A larger following.
(b) No proof of their actions.
(c) The ability to teach people.
(d) Historical proof of what they said and did.
6. Where in Jerusalem did Jesus start a disturbance?
(a) Mount Horeb.
(b) Along the River Jordan.
(c) In a marketplace.
(d) The Temple.
7. What does C.E. stand for?
(a) Common Epiphany.
(b) Christian Evolution.
(c) Christ's Era.
(d) Common Era.
8. What did Jesus claim to have had following his baptism?
(a) An out-of-body experience.
(b) A spiritual awakening.
(c) A conversation with God.
(d) Divine powers.
9. According to historical documents, when did the crucifixion take place?
(a) Between 20 and 30 C.E.
(b) Between 5 and 7 C.E.
(c) Between 16 and 26 C.E.
(d) Between 26 and 36 C.E.
10. How was Jesus' life originally recorded?
(a) In his diaries.
(b) In a biographical style.
(c) In short passages.
(d) In long narratives.
11. What did the disciples continue to do after the resurrection?
(a) Preach the Word of God.
(b) Remain in hiding.
(c) Stay at the tomb.
12. The Gospels are missing characteristics of what type of literature, which makes them problematic?
13. What did early Christians believe Jesus' life was a fulfillment of?
(a) Laws made by the government.
(c) They did not believe he was a fulfillment of anything.
(d) Their prayer for a teacher.
14. According to Sanders, through what context do many people see Jesus?
(a) Theology and salvation.
(b) As a government leader.
(c) As a mythical being.
15. When were the Gospels named?
(a) 36 C.E.
(b) 115 C.E.
(d) 180 C.E.
Short Answer Questions
1. About which people did Josephus write?
2. Before becoming monotheists, whom did the Jews believe was the right hand of God?
3. What area do the histories written by Roman authors mainly cover?
4. There are key differences between the Gospels and what science?
5. What leadership role was responsible for the day-to-day government of Rome?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)