|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pursuing the narrator and Barley on the train, according to Part Two, Chapter 31?
2. What conclusion does the narrator draw by what she finds in Part Three, Chapter 49?
3. Where do Helen and Paul go to make a life for themselves after finding Dracula’s sarcophagus?
4. How does Bora come to become interested in Dracula?
5. What was scheduled to happen only days after Elsie’s injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Helen stayed away from her family for so long.
2. Why do Helen and Paul drive a silver dagger into Rossi’s heart?
3. Why do Helen and Paul return home after finding Dracula’s tomb?
4. What advice does Rossi offer Helen and Paul when they go to find Dracula in the tomb?
5. What three pieces of information do Paul and Helen learn from Helen’s Aunt Eva?
6. What does Paul suspect about Helen when they travel to Hungary? How do you know?
7. What is significant about Ranov escorting Helen and Paul to the monastery at Bachkovo?
8. What does the narrator think about her father when she finds his empty room in France? Why?
9. How does Turgut Bora become involved in Paul’s research?
10. What is significant about the postcards from Helen Rossi that the narrator finds in Part Three, Chapter 63?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define flashbacks. What is their role in literature? Identify at least one example of a flashback used in The Historian and its purpose in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Define epilogues. How are they used in literature? Explain how the epilogue of The Historian impacts the story. What is revealed in the Epilogue? How would the story be different without it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the fictional character of Dracula in The Historian with the historical figure of Vlad the Impaler. How are they alike? How are they different?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)