|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bora suggest Helen and Paul go at the end of Part Two, Chapter 48?
2. What injury did Hugh James’s fiancé suffer?
3. Where do Helen and Paul go to make a life for themselves after finding Dracula’s sarcophagus?
4. What does the narrator learn about Helen in Part Three, Chapter 63?
5. How does Bora come to become interested in Dracula?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who kills Mr. Erozan? How? Why?
2. What advice does Rossi offer Helen and Paul when they go to find Dracula in the tomb?
3. Explain the courtship between Rossi and Helen’s mother from Helen’s mother’s perspective.
4. Why was it difficult for Helen and Paul to travel to Budapest? How do they get around this difficulty?
5. How is Dracula killed? Why is this significant?
6. What do Helen and Paul decide about their future in Part Three, Chapter 62?
7. Why did the narrator never know her mother growing up?
8. What three pieces of information do Paul and Helen learn from Helen’s Aunt Eva?
9. What does Dracula think of Paul? How do you know?
10. What does the narrator suspect about the love letter she finds from her father to Helen in Part Three, Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define characterization. Identify and define each type of characterization, and give at least one example of each from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Define genre. What is its purpose in literature? Identify the genre of The Historian. What characteristics of that genre are seen in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define foreshadowing. How is it used in literature? How is it identified? Give at least one example of foreshadowing used in The Historian. What does it foreshadow?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)