|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hugh James offer to do for Paul?
2. What did Rossi give Helen’s mother as a symbol of his love and promise to return to her?
3. How does the narrator learn about Paul and Helen’s trip to Istanbul, according to Part Two, Chapter 26?
4. Where do Helen and Paul go to make a life for themselves after finding Dracula’s sarcophagus?
5. What does Helen suspect about Jozsef and Ranov?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the narrator never know her mother growing up?
2. What does the narrator realize about Barley as they travel together by train?
3. What does Paul suspect about Helen when they travel to Hungary? How do you know?
4. What does the narrator think about her father when she finds his empty room in France? Why?
5. What does the narrator suspect about the love letter she finds from her father to Helen in Part Three, Chapter 49?
6. What two things does Helen suspect about Jozsef when she and Paul are heading to Bulgaria to find Dracula’s monastery?
7. Why do Paul and Helen think Rossi did not return to marry Helen’s mother? What does this lead Helen to believe?
8. Why do Helen and Paul drive a silver dagger into Rossi’s heart?
9. How is Dracula killed? Why is this significant?
10. What three pieces of information do Paul and Helen learn from Helen’s Aunt Eva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define foreshadowing. How is it used in literature? How is it identified? Give at least one example of foreshadowing used in The Historian. What does it foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Paul’s disappearance with Rossi’s disappearance. How are they alike? How are they different? How does each disappearance impact the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Define inference. What is its purpose in literature? How is it identified? Identify and explain at least one inference made in The Historian. How does it impact the story?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)