|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious building to the narrator and her father tour in France in Part One, Chapter 10?
2. What does the narrator resolve to do about Rossi’s story after the tour in France?
3. What wound does the suspicious stranger only Rossi sees have?
4. What type of business are the narrator and Paul at when Paul continues his story about the dragon book in Part One, Chapter 3?
5. What does the narrator admit to her father at the end of Part One, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened at the monastery in France that Paul and the narrator visited.
2. How does Paul know the woman he encountered in the library in Part One, Chapter 8 is also researching Dracula?
3. Explain what happened to Hedges when he was attacked in Part One, Chapter 12.
4. Explain Johan Binnerts’s importance to the narrator, according to Part One, Chapter 5.
5. Why are Rossi’s letters addressed to “my dear and unfortunate successor”?
6. Explain who the narrator is in The Historian. What story is she telling?
7. Explain how Paul began to research Dracula.
8. What is significant about the packet of letters the narrator finds in her father’s room in Amsterdam?
9. What is mysterious about the green book that is in Paul’s possession, according to Part One, Chapter 2?
10. Why does Rossi go to America? What does he learn there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define motif. What is its role in literature? Identify at least one motif found in The Historian and explain how it is expressed throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Define climax. How is it used in literature? How is it identified? What is the climax of The Historian? How do you know? How does the story change after the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define theme. How is it used in literature? Identify at least one theme found in The Historian, and explain how it is expressed throughout the story.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)