|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator discover about her father when they are chatting in a piazza in Venice?
2. What happens to Rossi’s friend Hedges in Part One, Chapter 12?
3. What valuable information does Rossi tell Paul at the end of Part Two, Chapter 2?
4. What is the relationship between Master James and Barley?
5. What does Rossi think of Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Rossi’s travels as described in his letter in Part One, Chapter 9.
2. Explain who the narrator is in The Historian. What story is she telling?
3. Explain what happened at the monastery in France that Paul and the narrator visited.
4. Explain what prompts Paul to tell the narrator about events from his past.
5. What does Paul think of the monastery at Les Pyrenees-Orientales? How do you know?
6. Describe the narrator at the beginning of the events of the story.
7. Explain how Paul began to research Dracula.
8. Why are Rossi’s letters addressed to “my dear and unfortunate successor”?
9. How does Rossi react to Hedges’s death? What does this reveal about Rossi?
10. Why is Paul concerned about Helen in Part One, Chapter 23? How does she reassure him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a brief literary analysis and critique of The Historian.
Essay Topic 2
Define motif. What is its role in literature? Identify at least one motif found in The Historian and explain how it is expressed throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Define epilogues. How are they used in literature? Explain how the epilogue of The Historian impacts the story. What is revealed in the Epilogue? How would the story be different without it?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)