|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about the day that the novel opens?
2. What does Corrie dread in Chapter 2?
3. Casper begins setting his clocks according to what?
4. What new item does the doctor bring with him when Mrs. Ten Boom and Aunt Bep are sick?
5. To what do Betsie and Corrie awaken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Otto? What is he like?
2. Where does Corrie live? With whom does she live?
3. What does William say about Karel? What happens between Karel and Corrie?
4. What gift do the townspeople give to Casper? How does the growing technology affect the watch shop?
5. Who works in the shop? Describe how the shop operates.
6. What does Corrie learn about Willem? How does the family get involved in hiding Jews?
7. What happens to Mrs. Ten Boom? How does the family react?
8. What is built in Corrie's room? What is it like? What do the men tell Corrie to do?
9. How does Betsie's illness affect Corrie? What changes do the sisters make in their home and the watch shop?
10. How does Corrie feel about going to school? What advice does she get from others in her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Ten Booms got involved in hiding Jews? Trace their involvement in this activity. How did they get started? Do you think you would make the same choice?
Essay Topic 2
How do the people in Holland feel about the Germans before the occupation? Why do you think they feel in these ways? How does Corrie feel about the Nazis? How is Germany able to occupy Holland? Why do you think so many people failed to see the threat?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the conditions of the camp. What was life like for the prisoners? Discuss at least three ways that Corrie and the other prisoners tried to cope with the conditions.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)