|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was first imprisoned in Rolandine's castle?
2. What do the princess and duke do when they wake up together?
3. What does the soldier nap next to in Story Sixty-five?
4. What country is Story Thirty-six set in?
5. Where does the woman in Story Thirty-seven set a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the man in Dagoucin's seventh story get out of attending a dinner party with the King?
2. Why did the lady in Parlamente's seventh tale reject a suitor?
3. What does the wife in Story Fifty-five do to get around a stipulation in her husband's will?
4. Why does the Lord in Story Fifty-seven keep a glove on his cloak?
5. How does the lady in Story Fifty-nine get her husband to take her to court in style?
6. What does Friar De Vale do when asked to cure a girl of her laziness?
7. What is the discussion about after Longarine's fourth story?
8. When does the narrative stop? Why?
9. Why does Jean Pierre's lover finally accept his advances?
10. Why was Rolandine's castle originally built?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marguerite de Navarre presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in these stories. What are some of the best examples of these themes, and how did their presence affect the outcome of those stories?
Essay Topic 3
What elements in society were being shown in a satirical light in this book? Explain.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)