|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lord call the item attached to his cloak in Story Fifty-seven?
2. Why does Jean Pierre isolate himself?
3. What causes the man in Longarine's fourth story to come back to his wife?
4. Who tells the story about Francoise?
5. Who tries to protect the girl put to death in Story Fifty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the discussion about after Longarine's fourth story?
2. Why does the man in Dagoucin's seventh story get out of attending a dinner party with the King?
3. What does the maid in Story Sixty-nine trick her master into doing?
4. Why was Rolandine's castle originally built?
5. Why does the Lord in Story Fifty-seven keep a glove on his cloak?
6. What is the story of the Countess about?
7. How are the priest and the Friar discovered in their crime?
8. How does the Duchess in Story Seventy ruin her life?
9. How is the man in Story Thirty-seven saved from a fire, and what happens after this?
10. How does the man in Story Forty-five hide his affair after he is seen with the maid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the stories affect the plots of those stories and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 3
What elements in society were being shown in a satirical light in this book? Explain.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)