|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the President in Story Thirty-six ignore his wife's affair?
2. Why does the maid in Story Forty-five allow her rapes to continue?
3. Whom is the husband kissing in Story Fifty-four?
4. For what is the preoccupied man's wife imprisoned?
5. How does the Countess refer to the weeks she keeps men in her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the lady in Story Fifty-nine get her husband to take her to court in style?
2. Why does the man in Dagoucin's seventh story get out of attending a dinner party with the King?
3. How is the man in Story Thirty-seven saved from a fire, and what happens after this?
4. How is the cheap man is Story Fifty-two tricked?
5. Why does the husband of the wild wife get illegally married?
6. Why did the lady in Parlamente's seventh tale reject a suitor?
7. What does the wife in Story Fifty-five do to get around a stipulation in her husband's will?
8. How does the man in Story Forty-five hide his affair after he is seen with the maid?
9. What is the story of the Countess about?
10. Why does Jean Pierre's lover finally accept his advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the stipulations placed on the storytellers in this book, and how do you think this affected the stories that were chosen to be told?
Essay Topic 2
How were the styles of the different storytellers different from each other, and how did these differences display themselves in the themes of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
What elements in society were being shown in a satirical light in this book? Explain.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)