|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stuart fail to greet his own parents in chapter 28 when he and Skeeter see them during a dinner out?
2. What is in a letter Aibileen gives to Skeeter in chapter 27?
3. How does Celia know in chapter 17 that Minny knows how to play bridge?
4. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
5. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
2. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
3. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
4. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
5. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
6. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
7. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
8. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
9. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
10. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Minny's home life. How does Minny's husband treat her? Why does Minny not stand up for herself to her husband as she does with the white women who employ her? Why does Leroy throw a dish at Minny's forehead? What does Minny tell Celia about this injury? Why does Leroy later lock Minny in the house and threaten to burn the house down around her? What does Minny do after this happens? What does Aibileen recommend Minny do in reaction to Leroy's behavior? Does she? How does this suggest a happy ending for Minny at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)