|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Stuart give Skeeter in chapter 28 for not working on the oil rigs any longer?
2. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
3. Under what name does Skeeter plan to publish her book?
4. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
5. How old is Mae Mobley at the beginning of chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
2. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
3. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
4. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
5. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
6. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
7. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
8. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
9. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
10. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
Essay Topic 3
How does the book Skeeter and Aibileen wrote reflect the time period in which the novel is written? How does the writer use actual historical events to reflect the racial tension in Jackson during the time in which the book is set and how these events impacted the lives of the main characters of this book? What might a book like The Help have impacted the lives of those really living in Jackson Mississippi during this time period? What might have been the consequences to a maid like Aibileen? What consequence does Aibileen suffer? How does the book help Aibileen have the courage and the power to stand up to Hilly? What does this say about the changes that take place in the novel for Aibileen and the other maids in Jackson?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)