|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed between chapter 28 and chapter 29?
2. Where does Skeeter go in chapter 19 to cool off in the overwhelming heat?
3. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
4. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
5. What modern convenience does Skeeter's mother refuse to have added to the house as Skeeter explains in chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
2. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
3. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
4. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
5. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
6. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
7. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
8. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
9. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
10. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
Essay Topic 2
How does the book Skeeter and Aibileen wrote reflect the time period in which the novel is written? How does the writer use actual historical events to reflect the racial tension in Jackson during the time in which the book is set and how these events impacted the lives of the main characters of this book? What might a book like The Help have impacted the lives of those really living in Jackson Mississippi during this time period? What might have been the consequences to a maid like Aibileen? What consequence does Aibileen suffer? How does the book help Aibileen have the courage and the power to stand up to Hilly? What does this say about the changes that take place in the novel for Aibileen and the other maids in Jackson?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)