|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Celia stay in bed after the disaster at the Benefit?
2. Who does Skeeter reveal she paid twenty-five dollars each to put the thirty plus toilets on Hilly's front lawn?
3. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
4. How old is Mae Mobley at the beginning of chapter 22?
5. What new gadget has Celia Foote bought that Minny is impressed by in chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
2. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
3. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
4. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
5. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
6. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
7. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
8. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
9. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
10. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Social Expectations
4) Ambition versus Fear.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)