Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
2. What captivates Mrs. Leefolt most about People Will Talk's review of Skeeter and Aibileen's book?
3. Why does Skeeter think the maids in the state senator's house are looking at her oddly in chapter 20?
4. How long does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 her mother has to live?
5. What excuse does Aibileen think Skeeter will use for the toilet confusion at Hilly Holbrook's house?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Minny's home life. How does Minny's husband treat her? Why does Minny not stand up for herself to her husband as she does with the white women who employ her? Why does Leroy throw a dish at Minny's forehead? What does Minny tell Celia about this injury? Why does Leroy later lock Minny in the house and threaten to burn the house down around her? What does Minny do after this happens? What does Aibileen recommend Minny do in reaction to Leroy's behavior? Does she? How does this suggest a happy ending for Minny at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)