|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Minny's son, Benny, suffer?
2. When Skeeter calls Aibileen in chapter 19 to tell her Yule May's decision, what does Aibileen say she was told about Yule May's working status?
3. Who attracts a large amount of attention upon her arrival at the Benefit?
4. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
5. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
2. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
3. With whom does Skeeter and her parents have dinner in chapter 20? What happens between Skeeter and Stuart during this evening?
4. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
5. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
6. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
7. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
8. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
9. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
10. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Minny think Celia is crazy? What does Celia spend her days doing? How is this different from the behavior of the other women Minny has worked for? Why does Celia escape into the second floor of her home several times a day? What does Minny think she is doing up there? What is Celia really doing up there? What is the cause of Celia's odd behaviors? Why do none of the women in Jackson accept Celia into their social circle? What does Celia believe the problem is? How does she go about fixing it? What happens? What story does Minny tell Celia that appears to help her understand the women of Jackson better?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)