|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
2. What does Minny say God would have made people if he had intended for whites and blacks to spend a large amount of time together?
3. How does Celia know in chapter 17 that Minny knows how to play bridge?
4. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
5. What is in a letter Aibileen gives to Skeeter in chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
2. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
3. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
4. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
5. With whom does Skeeter and her parents have dinner in chapter 20? What happens between Skeeter and Stuart during this evening?
6. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
9. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
10. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Skeeter's mother constantly complain about in regards to her daughter's appearance? How does this make Skeeter feel? How does this reflect on Skeeter's lack of romantic experience? At what age do most of the girls Skeeter is friends with get married? What does it say about Skeeter that she is not married? What does Skeeter want to do with her life? What obstacles are in Skeeter's way that might not have been in a more modern setting? What does it say about Skeeter that she disregards her mother's advice and pursues her desire to have a career?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and her mother
2) Skeeter and Stuart
3) Stuart and his father
4) Hilly and Elizabeth
5) Hilly and Skeeter.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)