|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celia tear from Hilly's dress that Hilly later insists Celia make a two hundred dollar donation to the Junior League to make up for?
2. Why does Skeeter refuse to tell her mother of her break up with Stuart?
3. Who calls Minny at home in the beginning of chapter 26 to speak about Celia Foote?
4. What does Minny forbid Skeeter to do in chapter 17?
5. What instrument does Celia Foote use to protect Minny from a crazy, naked man in chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
2. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
3. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
4. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
5. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
6. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
7. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
8. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
9. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
10. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Minny's home life. How does Minny's husband treat her? Why does Minny not stand up for herself to her husband as she does with the white women who employ her? Why does Leroy throw a dish at Minny's forehead? What does Minny tell Celia about this injury? Why does Leroy later lock Minny in the house and threaten to burn the house down around her? What does Minny do after this happens? What does Aibileen recommend Minny do in reaction to Leroy's behavior? Does she? How does this suggest a happy ending for Minny at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)