|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Aibileen think Skeeter will use for the toilet confusion at Hilly Holbrook's house?
2. What does Celia tear from Hilly's dress that Hilly later insists Celia make a two hundred dollar donation to the Junior League to make up for?
3. How much time does Mrs. Stein cut off of Skeeter's deadline for completing her book in chapter 26?
4. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
5. What does Skeeter feel the Whitworth house is a museum in honor of in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
2. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
3. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
4. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
5. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
6. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
7. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
8. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
9. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
10. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Skeeter's mother constantly complain about in regards to her daughter's appearance? How does this make Skeeter feel? How does this reflect on Skeeter's lack of romantic experience? At what age do most of the girls Skeeter is friends with get married? What does it say about Skeeter that she is not married? What does Skeeter want to do with her life? What obstacles are in Skeeter's way that might not have been in a more modern setting? What does it say about Skeeter that she disregards her mother's advice and pursues her desire to have a career?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)