|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mae Mobley spending less time with Aibileen in chapter 29?
2. What does Skeeter push Stuart to tell her about his ex-fiancee in chapter 19 that causes some tension between them?
3. Who buys a copy of Skeeter and Aibileen's book for Hilly Holbrook?
4. Who calls Minny at home in the beginning of chapter 26 to speak about Celia Foote?
5. What does Celia Foote threaten to do in the aftermath of the disaster at the Benefit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
2. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
3. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
4. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
5. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
6. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
7. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
8. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
9. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
10. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Minny think Celia is crazy? What does Celia spend her days doing? How is this different from the behavior of the other women Minny has worked for? Why does Celia escape into the second floor of her home several times a day? What does Minny think she is doing up there? What is Celia really doing up there? What is the cause of Celia's odd behaviors? Why do none of the women in Jackson accept Celia into their social circle? What does Celia believe the problem is? How does she go about fixing it? What happens? What story does Minny tell Celia that appears to help her understand the women of Jackson better?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 3
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
This section contains 1,465 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)