|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
2. Who tells Aibileen to stay away from Skeeter if she wants to keep her job?
3. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
4. Who was Carl Roberts?
5. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
2. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
3. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
4. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
5. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
6. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
7. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
8. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
9. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
10. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does Skeeter become acquainted with Aibileen? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen to do for her? How does this cause Skeeter to come up with an idea for a nonfiction book? Why does Skeeter ask Aibileen to help with this book? What does Aibileen do to help Skeeter? How does Skeeter feel about the writing of this book and Aibileen's role in it? Why is this so important to Skeeter? Why does Skeeter not get married and have children like her friends? Why does Skeeter not marry Stuart? What clues should have led Skeeter to realize Stuart would not have been supportive of her choice to write this book?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Aibileen? What does she mean when she says that she has raised seventeen children? Why does Aibileen not remain with these kids until adulthood? What changes in the children that Aibileen finds hard to deal with? How could this frequent change in employment lead to trouble for Aibileen? What happened shortly before Aibileen went to work for the Leefolts? How did this tragedy come about? How has it impacted Aibileen? How did this tragedy make Aibileen more open to falling in love with Mae Mobley? How does Mrs. Leefolt treat her only child? What causes this? What does Aibileen do about it?
This section contains 1,602 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)