|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny chose for the book they are writing?
2. Who tells Aibileen to stay away from Skeeter if she wants to keep her job?
3. What new gadget has Celia Foote bought that Minny is impressed by in chapter 30?
4. What does Mae Mobley do when she sees the toilets on Hilly Holbrook's front lawn in chapter 22?
5. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
2. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
3. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
4. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
5. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
6. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
7. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
8. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
9. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
10. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)