|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Skeeter plan to share the advance money and subsequent royalty payments with?
2. How does Celia know in chapter 17 that Minny knows how to play bridge?
3. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
4. What does Skeeter feel the Whitworth house is a museum in honor of in chapter 20?
5. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Skeeter and her parents have dinner in chapter 20? What happens between Skeeter and Stuart during this evening?
2. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
3. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
4. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
5. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
6. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
7. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
8. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
9. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
10. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Aibileen? What does she mean when she says that she has raised seventeen children? Why does Aibileen not remain with these kids until adulthood? What changes in the children that Aibileen finds hard to deal with? How could this frequent change in employment lead to trouble for Aibileen? What happened shortly before Aibileen went to work for the Leefolts? How did this tragedy come about? How has it impacted Aibileen? How did this tragedy make Aibileen more open to falling in love with Mae Mobley? How does Mrs. Leefolt treat her only child? What causes this? What does Aibileen do about it?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)