|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name has Aibileen chosen to use in the book she is writing with Skeeter?
2. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
3. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
4. What does Skeeter push Stuart to tell her about his ex-fiancee in chapter 19 that causes some tension between them?
5. Why does Minny fear for her job in chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
2. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
3. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
4. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
5. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
6. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
7. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
8. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
9. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
10. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and her mother
2) Skeeter and Stuart
3) Stuart and his father
4) Hilly and Elizabeth
5) Hilly and Skeeter.
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)