|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
2. How much time has passed between chapter 28 and chapter 29?
3. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
4. Who does Skeeter reveal she paid twenty-five dollars each to put the thirty plus toilets on Hilly's front lawn?
5. What war does Skeeter see a news report about on the television in chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
2. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
3. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
4. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
5. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
6. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
7. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
8. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
9. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
10. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 2
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter's mother constantly complain about in regards to her daughter's appearance? How does this make Skeeter feel? How does this reflect on Skeeter's lack of romantic experience? At what age do most of the girls Skeeter is friends with get married? What does it say about Skeeter that she is not married? What does Skeeter want to do with her life? What obstacles are in Skeeter's way that might not have been in a more modern setting? What does it say about Skeeter that she disregards her mother's advice and pursues her desire to have a career?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)