|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stuart fail to greet his own parents in chapter 28 when he and Skeeter see them during a dinner out?
2. Who was Carl Roberts?
3. Why does Pascagoula tell Skeeter in chapter 19 that no one would work for her mother except her?
4. When Skeeter calls Aibileen in chapter 19 to tell her Yule May's decision, what does Aibileen say she was told about Yule May's working status?
5. What is in a letter Aibileen gives to Skeeter in chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
2. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
3. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
4. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
5. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
6. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
7. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
8. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
9. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
10. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and her mother
2) Skeeter and Stuart
3) Stuart and his father
4) Hilly and Elizabeth
5) Hilly and Skeeter.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Minny think Celia is crazy? What does Celia spend her days doing? How is this different from the behavior of the other women Minny has worked for? Why does Celia escape into the second floor of her home several times a day? What does Minny think she is doing up there? What is Celia really doing up there? What is the cause of Celia's odd behaviors? Why do none of the women in Jackson accept Celia into their social circle? What does Celia believe the problem is? How does she go about fixing it? What happens? What story does Minny tell Celia that appears to help her understand the women of Jackson better?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)