|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
2. Who calls Minny at home in the beginning of chapter 26 to speak about Celia Foote?
3. What is in a letter Aibileen gives to Skeeter in chapter 27?
4. What ailment does Minny's son, Benny, suffer?
5. What does Skeeter push Stuart to tell her about his ex-fiancee in chapter 19 that causes some tension between them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
2. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
3. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
4. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
5. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
6. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
7. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
8. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
9. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
10. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)