|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war does Skeeter see a news report about on the television in chapter 19?
2. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
3. Why does Minny fear for her job in chapter 24?
4. Who does Skeeter reveal she paid twenty-five dollars each to put the thirty plus toilets on Hilly's front lawn?
5. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
2. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
3. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
4. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
5. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
6. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
9. With whom does Skeeter and her parents have dinner in chapter 20? What happens between Skeeter and Stuart during this evening?
10. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Minny's home life. How does Minny's husband treat her? Why does Minny not stand up for herself to her husband as she does with the white women who employ her? Why does Leroy throw a dish at Minny's forehead? What does Minny tell Celia about this injury? Why does Leroy later lock Minny in the house and threaten to burn the house down around her? What does Minny do after this happens? What does Aibileen recommend Minny do in reaction to Leroy's behavior? Does she? How does this suggest a happy ending for Minny at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)