|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
2. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
3. Why does Minny fear for her job in chapter 24?
4. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
5. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
2. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
3. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
4. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
5. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
6. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
9. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
10. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hilly's bathroom initiative. What is it? What is the point behind it? Why would Hilly think that sharing a bathroom with a black person could lead to the exchange of deadly diseases? Why does Hilly pressure Mrs. Leefolt into building a bathroom in the car port for Aibileen? How does Aibileen feel about this? What happens when Aibileen takes Mae Mobley into the new bathroom constructed for Aibileen's use? What does Mrs. Leefolt do when Mae Mobley attempts to use the bathroom in the carport? How does this inspire Aibileen to begins sharing secret stories with Mae Mobley?
Essay Topic 2
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
This section contains 1,577 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)