|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
2. Who is Pascagoula's cousin?
3. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
4. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
5. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
2. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
3. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
4. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
5. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
6. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
7. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
8. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
9. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
10. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Minny's home life. How does Minny's husband treat her? Why does Minny not stand up for herself to her husband as she does with the white women who employ her? Why does Leroy throw a dish at Minny's forehead? What does Minny tell Celia about this injury? Why does Leroy later lock Minny in the house and threaten to burn the house down around her? What does Minny do after this happens? What does Aibileen recommend Minny do in reaction to Leroy's behavior? Does she? How does this suggest a happy ending for Minny at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,594 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)