|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Skeeter refuse to tell her mother of her break up with Stuart?
2. How common does Aibileen tell Skeeter it was for women to give up their children to care for white families?
3. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
4. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
5. Where does Skeeter go in chapter 19 to cool off in the overwhelming heat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
2. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
3. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
4. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
5. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
6. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
7. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
8. With whom does Skeeter and her parents have dinner in chapter 20? What happens between Skeeter and Stuart during this evening?
9. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
10. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Social Expectations
4) Ambition versus Fear.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hilly's bathroom initiative. What is it? What is the point behind it? Why would Hilly think that sharing a bathroom with a black person could lead to the exchange of deadly diseases? Why does Hilly pressure Mrs. Leefolt into building a bathroom in the car port for Aibileen? How does Aibileen feel about this? What happens when Aibileen takes Mae Mobley into the new bathroom constructed for Aibileen's use? What does Mrs. Leefolt do when Mae Mobley attempts to use the bathroom in the carport? How does this inspire Aibileen to begins sharing secret stories with Mae Mobley?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
This section contains 1,492 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)