|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
2. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
3. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
4. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
5. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
2. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
3. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
4. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
5. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
6. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
7. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
8. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
9. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
10. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Social Expectations
4) Ambition versus Fear.
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)