|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
2. Why does Skeeter tell her mother in chapter 28 that most of the holiday parties have been canceled?
3. Who is Pascagoula's cousin?
4. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
5. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
2. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
3. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
4. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
5. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
6. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
7. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
8. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
9. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
10. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Minny's home life. How does Minny's husband treat her? Why does Minny not stand up for herself to her husband as she does with the white women who employ her? Why does Leroy throw a dish at Minny's forehead? What does Minny tell Celia about this injury? Why does Leroy later lock Minny in the house and threaten to burn the house down around her? What does Minny do after this happens? What does Aibileen recommend Minny do in reaction to Leroy's behavior? Does she? How does this suggest a happy ending for Minny at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,581 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)