|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 her mother has to live?
2. How common does Aibileen tell Skeeter it was for women to give up their children to care for white families?
3. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
4. Who buys a copy of Skeeter and Aibileen's book for Hilly Holbrook?
5. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
2. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
3. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
4. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
5. With whom does Skeeter and her parents have dinner in chapter 20? What happens between Skeeter and Stuart during this evening?
6. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
7. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
8. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
9. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
10. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
Essay Topic 3
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)