|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gesture would Constantine use to let Skeeter knew she wanted her to pay close attention to her?
2. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
3. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
4. What are Yule May, Hilly Holbrook's maid, and her husband saving up for as she tells Aibileen in chapter 16?
5. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
2. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
3. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
4. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
5. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
6. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
7. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
8. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
9. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
10. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
Essay Topic 3
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)