|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college did Skeeter graduate from?
2. What does Aibileen write in a small blue notepad?
3. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
4. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
5. How many interviews with maids does the editor suggest Skeeter include in her book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
2. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
3. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
4. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
5. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
6. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
7. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
8. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
9. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
10. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the book Skeeter and Aibileen wrote reflect the time period in which the novel is written? How does the writer use actual historical events to reflect the racial tension in Jackson during the time in which the book is set and how these events impacted the lives of the main characters of this book? What might a book like The Help have impacted the lives of those really living in Jackson Mississippi during this time period? What might have been the consequences to a maid like Aibileen? What consequence does Aibileen suffer? How does the book help Aibileen have the courage and the power to stand up to Hilly? What does this say about the changes that take place in the novel for Aibileen and the other maids in Jackson?
Essay Topic 2
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)