|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gesture would Constantine use to let Skeeter knew she wanted her to pay close attention to her?
2. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
3. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
4. Why does Mr. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley she will not go to college in chapter 2?
5. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
2. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
3. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
4. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
5. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
6. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
7. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
8. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
9. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
10. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)