|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hilly Holbrook set up a date for Skeeter with in chapter 5?
2. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
3. Who is Patricia van Devender?
4. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
5. Why does Minny tell Aibileen she needs to find a new job in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
2. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
3. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
4. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
5. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
6. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
7. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
8. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
9. Who shows up at Skeeter's at the end of chapter 33? What is this person's intention?
10. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
This section contains 3,137 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)