|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
2. What does Skeeter's mother nag her about in chapter 5?
3. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
4. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
5. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
2. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
3. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
4. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
5. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
6. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
7. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
8. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
9. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
10. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hilly's bathroom initiative. What is it? What is the point behind it? Why would Hilly think that sharing a bathroom with a black person could lead to the exchange of deadly diseases? Why does Hilly pressure Mrs. Leefolt into building a bathroom in the car port for Aibileen? How does Aibileen feel about this? What happens when Aibileen takes Mae Mobley into the new bathroom constructed for Aibileen's use? What does Mrs. Leefolt do when Mae Mobley attempts to use the bathroom in the carport? How does this inspire Aibileen to begins sharing secret stories with Mae Mobley?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)