|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Myrna?
2. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
3. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
4. What does Skeeter admit caused her some disappointment at first in chapter 12?
5. What does Aibileen reveal in chapter 12 about the kitchen in the governor's mansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
2. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
3. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
4. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
5. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
6. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
7. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
8. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
9. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
10. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Minny think Celia is crazy? What does Celia spend her days doing? How is this different from the behavior of the other women Minny has worked for? Why does Celia escape into the second floor of her home several times a day? What does Minny think she is doing up there? What is Celia really doing up there? What is the cause of Celia's odd behaviors? Why do none of the women in Jackson accept Celia into their social circle? What does Celia believe the problem is? How does she go about fixing it? What happens? What story does Minny tell Celia that appears to help her understand the women of Jackson better?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
This section contains 3,131 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)