|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Celia's husband date before he married Celia?
2. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
3. Where does Hilly Holbrook invite Mrs. Leefolt and Mae Mobley to go in chapter 15?
4. Why does Mr. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley she will not go to college in chapter 2?
5. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
2. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
3. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
4. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
5. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
6. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
7. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
8. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
9. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
10. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the book Skeeter and Aibileen wrote reflect the time period in which the novel is written? How does the writer use actual historical events to reflect the racial tension in Jackson during the time in which the book is set and how these events impacted the lives of the main characters of this book? What might a book like The Help have impacted the lives of those really living in Jackson Mississippi during this time period? What might have been the consequences to a maid like Aibileen? What consequence does Aibileen suffer? How does the book help Aibileen have the courage and the power to stand up to Hilly? What does this say about the changes that take place in the novel for Aibileen and the other maids in Jackson?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter's mother constantly complain about in regards to her daughter's appearance? How does this make Skeeter feel? How does this reflect on Skeeter's lack of romantic experience? At what age do most of the girls Skeeter is friends with get married? What does it say about Skeeter that she is not married? What does Skeeter want to do with her life? What obstacles are in Skeeter's way that might not have been in a more modern setting? What does it say about Skeeter that she disregards her mother's advice and pursues her desire to have a career?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)