|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many interviews with maids does the editor suggest Skeeter include in her book?
2. What are Yule May, Hilly Holbrook's maid, and her husband saving up for as she tells Aibileen in chapter 16?
3. Who does Hilly Holbrook set up a date for Skeeter with in chapter 5?
4. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
5. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
2. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
3. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
4. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
5. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
6. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
7. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
8. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
9. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
10. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Aibileen? What does she mean when she says that she has raised seventeen children? Why does Aibileen not remain with these kids until adulthood? What changes in the children that Aibileen finds hard to deal with? How could this frequent change in employment lead to trouble for Aibileen? What happened shortly before Aibileen went to work for the Leefolts? How did this tragedy come about? How has it impacted Aibileen? How did this tragedy make Aibileen more open to falling in love with Mae Mobley? How does Mrs. Leefolt treat her only child? What causes this? What does Aibileen do about it?
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)