|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Skeeter pinpointed as her first interviewee for her book in chapter 8?
2. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
3. Who shows up at Skeeter's door and surprises her in chapter 13?
4. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
5. For what act does Mrs. Leefolt punish Mae Mobley in chapter 2 that makes Aibileen feel outrage for the child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
2. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
3. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
4. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
5. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
6. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
7. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
8. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
9. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
10. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hilly's bathroom initiative. What is it? What is the point behind it? Why would Hilly think that sharing a bathroom with a black person could lead to the exchange of deadly diseases? Why does Hilly pressure Mrs. Leefolt into building a bathroom in the car port for Aibileen? How does Aibileen feel about this? What happens when Aibileen takes Mae Mobley into the new bathroom constructed for Aibileen's use? What does Mrs. Leefolt do when Mae Mobley attempts to use the bathroom in the carport? How does this inspire Aibileen to begins sharing secret stories with Mae Mobley?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Aibileen? What does she mean when she says that she has raised seventeen children? Why does Aibileen not remain with these kids until adulthood? What changes in the children that Aibileen finds hard to deal with? How could this frequent change in employment lead to trouble for Aibileen? What happened shortly before Aibileen went to work for the Leefolts? How did this tragedy come about? How has it impacted Aibileen? How did this tragedy make Aibileen more open to falling in love with Mae Mobley? How does Mrs. Leefolt treat her only child? What causes this? What does Aibileen do about it?
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)