|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
2. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
3. What is Skeeter's christian name?
4. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
5. Who does Aibileen recommend Minny to, lying about Elizabeth Leefolt recommending her as a good maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
2. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
3. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
4. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
5. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
6. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
7. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
8. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
9. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
10. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
Essay Topic 2
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)