|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
2. How old was Treelore when he died?
3. What item in the living room of the Foote residence frightens Minny?
4. What general shares a name with a popular hotel and restaurant in this book?
5. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
2. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
3. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
4. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
5. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
6. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
7. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
8. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
9. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
10. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Minny's home life. How does Minny's husband treat her? Why does Minny not stand up for herself to her husband as she does with the white women who employ her? Why does Leroy throw a dish at Minny's forehead? What does Minny tell Celia about this injury? Why does Leroy later lock Minny in the house and threaten to burn the house down around her? What does Minny do after this happens? What does Aibileen recommend Minny do in reaction to Leroy's behavior? Does she? How does this suggest a happy ending for Minny at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Skeeter make it Aibileen's job to ask other maids to help with their book? How many does Aibileen ask? How many initially agree to help? What causes the reaction Aibileen receives from the other maids? What does Aibileen tell the reader a white woman might do to a maid who speaks out about their treatment in a private home? What impact could this situation cause to a maid and her family? Why does Aibileen not fear these consequences?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)