Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
3. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
4. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
5. Who is Mrs. Stein?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
2. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
3. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
4. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
5. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
6. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
9. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
10. How does the tide against the maids change in the aftermath of Hilly finishing the book?
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Aibileen? What does she mean when she says that she has raised seventeen children? Why does Aibileen not remain with these kids until adulthood? What changes in the children that Aibileen finds hard to deal with? How could this frequent change in employment lead to trouble for Aibileen? What happened shortly before Aibileen went to work for the Leefolts? How did this tragedy come about? How has it impacted Aibileen? How did this tragedy make Aibileen more open to falling in love with Mae Mobley? How does Mrs. Leefolt treat her only child? What causes this? What does Aibileen do about it?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)