|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
2. Who does Skeeter mail the chapter with Aibileen's story to in chapter 12?
3. What college did Skeeter graduate from?
4. What kind of party does Mrs. Leefolt have in the first chapter of the book?
5. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
2. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
3. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
4. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
5. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
6. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
7. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
8. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
9. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
10. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hilly's bathroom initiative. What is it? What is the point behind it? Why would Hilly think that sharing a bathroom with a black person could lead to the exchange of deadly diseases? Why does Hilly pressure Mrs. Leefolt into building a bathroom in the car port for Aibileen? How does Aibileen feel about this? What happens when Aibileen takes Mae Mobley into the new bathroom constructed for Aibileen's use? What does Mrs. Leefolt do when Mae Mobley attempts to use the bathroom in the carport? How does this inspire Aibileen to begins sharing secret stories with Mae Mobley?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Minny think Celia is crazy? What does Celia spend her days doing? How is this different from the behavior of the other women Minny has worked for? Why does Celia escape into the second floor of her home several times a day? What does Minny think she is doing up there? What is Celia really doing up there? What is the cause of Celia's odd behaviors? Why do none of the women in Jackson accept Celia into their social circle? What does Celia believe the problem is? How does she go about fixing it? What happens? What story does Minny tell Celia that appears to help her understand the women of Jackson better?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
This section contains 1,609 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)