Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
3. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
4. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
5. Who is Mrs. Stein?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
2. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
3. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
4. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
5. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
6. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
9. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
10. How does the tide against the maids change in the aftermath of Hilly finishing the book?
Essay Topic 1
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and her mother
2) Skeeter and Stuart
3) Stuart and his father
4) Hilly and Elizabeth
5) Hilly and Skeeter.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)