|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skeeter's mother nag her about in chapter 5?
2. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
3. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
4. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
5. Why does Hilly claim that blacks and white should never attend the same school together in chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
2. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
3. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
4. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
5. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
6. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
7. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
8. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
9. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
10. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and Aibileen
2) Skeeter and Hilly
3) Hilly and Minny
4) Minny and Aibileen.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)