|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
3. Who does Hilly Holbrook set up a date for Skeeter with in chapter 5?
4. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
5. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
2. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
3. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
4. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
5. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
6. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
7. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
8. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
9. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
10. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Minny think Celia is crazy? What does Celia spend her days doing? How is this different from the behavior of the other women Minny has worked for? Why does Celia escape into the second floor of her home several times a day? What does Minny think she is doing up there? What is Celia really doing up there? What is the cause of Celia's odd behaviors? Why do none of the women in Jackson accept Celia into their social circle? What does Celia believe the problem is? How does she go about fixing it? What happens? What story does Minny tell Celia that appears to help her understand the women of Jackson better?
Essay Topic 3
How does the book Skeeter and Aibileen wrote reflect the time period in which the novel is written? How does the writer use actual historical events to reflect the racial tension in Jackson during the time in which the book is set and how these events impacted the lives of the main characters of this book? What might a book like The Help have impacted the lives of those really living in Jackson Mississippi during this time period? What might have been the consequences to a maid like Aibileen? What consequence does Aibileen suffer? How does the book help Aibileen have the courage and the power to stand up to Hilly? What does this say about the changes that take place in the novel for Aibileen and the other maids in Jackson?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)