Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
3. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
4. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
5. Who is Mrs. Stein?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
2. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
3. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
4. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
5. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
6. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
9. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
10. How does the tide against the maids change in the aftermath of Hilly finishing the book?
What does Skeeter's mother constantly complain about in regards to her daughter's appearance? How does this make Skeeter feel? How does this reflect on Skeeter's lack of romantic experience? At what age do most of the girls Skeeter is friends with get married? What does it say about Skeeter that she is not married? What does Skeeter want to do with her life? What obstacles are in Skeeter's way that might not have been in a more modern setting? What does it say about Skeeter that she disregards her mother's advice and pursues her desire to have a career?
What does Hilly find in Skeeter's satchel that makes her think Skeeter is a supporter of civil rights? How does Hilly react to this? Why does she react in this way? What is Hilly's opinion of the treatment of blacks in Jackson? How is this reflected by her actions and comments? How does this impact Skeeter's social status in Jackson after Hilly finds something questionable in Skeeter's satchel? What does Skeeter think Hilly found? How does this lead to fear on hers and Aibileen's parts? What does Aibileen overhear that makes Skeeter feel better about the situation?
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and her mother
2) Skeeter and Stuart
3) Stuart and his father
4) Hilly and Elizabeth
5) Hilly and Skeeter.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)