|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aibileen reveal in chapter 12 about the kitchen in the governor's mansion?
2. What is Skeeter doing when she runs into Hilly Holbrook and Elizabeth Leefolt in chapter 15?
3. What political office is Hilly's husband running for as she announces in chapter 12?
4. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
5. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
2. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
3. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
4. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
5. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
6. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
7. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
8. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
9. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
10. What trouble does Mae Mobley begin to have with her preschool teacher, Miss Taylor, in chapter 31?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does Skeeter become acquainted with Aibileen? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen to do for her? How does this cause Skeeter to come up with an idea for a nonfiction book? Why does Skeeter ask Aibileen to help with this book? What does Aibileen do to help Skeeter? How does Skeeter feel about the writing of this book and Aibileen's role in it? Why is this so important to Skeeter? Why does Skeeter not get married and have children like her friends? Why does Skeeter not marry Stuart? What clues should have led Skeeter to realize Stuart would not have been supportive of her choice to write this book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter's mother constantly complain about in regards to her daughter's appearance? How does this make Skeeter feel? How does this reflect on Skeeter's lack of romantic experience? At what age do most of the girls Skeeter is friends with get married? What does it say about Skeeter that she is not married? What does Skeeter want to do with her life? What obstacles are in Skeeter's way that might not have been in a more modern setting? What does it say about Skeeter that she disregards her mother's advice and pursues her desire to have a career?
This section contains 3,108 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)