|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
3. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
4. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
5. Who is Mrs. Stein?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
2. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
3. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
4. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
5. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
6. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
9. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
10. How does the tide against the maids change in the aftermath of Hilly finishing the book?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Social Expectations
4) Ambition versus Fear.
Essay Topic 2
How does the book Skeeter and Aibileen wrote reflect the time period in which the novel is written? How does the writer use actual historical events to reflect the racial tension in Jackson during the time in which the book is set and how these events impacted the lives of the main characters of this book? What might a book like The Help have impacted the lives of those really living in Jackson Mississippi during this time period? What might have been the consequences to a maid like Aibileen? What consequence does Aibileen suffer? How does the book help Aibileen have the courage and the power to stand up to Hilly? What does this say about the changes that take place in the novel for Aibileen and the other maids in Jackson?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)