|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
2. Who is Pascagoula?
3. What does Hilly give to Aibileen after a bridge party in chapter 12?
4. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
5. Why does Mr. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley she will not go to college in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
2. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
3. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
4. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
5. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
6. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
7. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
8. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
9. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
10. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does Skeeter become acquainted with Aibileen? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen to do for her? How does this cause Skeeter to come up with an idea for a nonfiction book? Why does Skeeter ask Aibileen to help with this book? What does Aibileen do to help Skeeter? How does Skeeter feel about the writing of this book and Aibileen's role in it? Why is this so important to Skeeter? Why does Skeeter not get married and have children like her friends? Why does Skeeter not marry Stuart? What clues should have led Skeeter to realize Stuart would not have been supportive of her choice to write this book?
Essay Topic 2
How does the book Skeeter and Aibileen wrote reflect the time period in which the novel is written? How does the writer use actual historical events to reflect the racial tension in Jackson during the time in which the book is set and how these events impacted the lives of the main characters of this book? What might a book like The Help have impacted the lives of those really living in Jackson Mississippi during this time period? What might have been the consequences to a maid like Aibileen? What consequence does Aibileen suffer? How does the book help Aibileen have the courage and the power to stand up to Hilly? What does this say about the changes that take place in the novel for Aibileen and the other maids in Jackson?
Essay Topic 3
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
This section contains 3,110 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)