|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skeeter admit caused her some disappointment at first in chapter 12?
2. What does Aibileen write in a small blue notepad?
3. Why does Minny tell Aibileen she needs to find a new job in chapter 2?
4. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
5. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
2. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
3. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
4. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
5. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
6. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
7. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
8. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
9. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
10. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
Essay Topic 2
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)