|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hilly Holbrook invite Mrs. Leefolt and Mae Mobley to go in chapter 15?
2. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
3. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
4. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
5. Who, in chapter 16, approaches Aibileen at a Community Concerns Meeting at her church about Skeeter's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
2. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
3. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
4. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
5. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
6. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
7. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
8. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
9. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
10. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style in which the author chose to write this novel. Discuss the first person point of view. What is first person point of view? How does the writer of this novel utilize this point of view in a unique way? Does this lead to confusion for the reader? In what way? How has the author structured the chapters? How does this add to or subtract from any possible confusion to the reader? Why do you suppose the writer felt it was important to tell her story in the first person point of view? What is unique about the grammar used by two of the main characters in the novel? Why do you suppose the author chose to use such grammar in her writing?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hilly's bathroom initiative. What is it? What is the point behind it? Why would Hilly think that sharing a bathroom with a black person could lead to the exchange of deadly diseases? Why does Hilly pressure Mrs. Leefolt into building a bathroom in the car port for Aibileen? How does Aibileen feel about this? What happens when Aibileen takes Mae Mobley into the new bathroom constructed for Aibileen's use? What does Mrs. Leefolt do when Mae Mobley attempts to use the bathroom in the carport? How does this inspire Aibileen to begins sharing secret stories with Mae Mobley?
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)