|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Mae Mobley suffer when Aibileen first begins to care for her?
2. Who does Skeeter ask for advice in regards to her new job in chapter 6?
3. What milestone has Mae Mobley entered in chapter 7?
4. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
5. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
2. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
3. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
4. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
5. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
6. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
7. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
8. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
9. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
10. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen? Why does Aibileen have trouble telling her stories to Skeeter? Why does Aibileen suggest she begin writing down her stories? How does Skeeter react to this? Why is Skeeter reluctant to let Aibileen do any of the writing? Why does she eventually change her mind? What does Skeeter do with Aibileen's chapter for the book? How does this lead to a deadline for the book? What is Aibileen's role in the writing of the book after she has told her own stories?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)