|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Skeeter ask Aibileen about at the end of chapter 1?
2. What ailment does Mae Mobley suffer when Aibileen first begins to care for her?
3. What news does Elizabeth Leefolt announce to Skeeter and Hilly in chapter 12?
4. How many interviews with maids does the editor suggest Skeeter include in her book?
5. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
2. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
3. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
4. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
5. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
6. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
7. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
8. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
9. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
10. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does Skeeter become acquainted with Aibileen? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen to do for her? How does this cause Skeeter to come up with an idea for a nonfiction book? Why does Skeeter ask Aibileen to help with this book? What does Aibileen do to help Skeeter? How does Skeeter feel about the writing of this book and Aibileen's role in it? Why is this so important to Skeeter? Why does Skeeter not get married and have children like her friends? Why does Skeeter not marry Stuart? What clues should have led Skeeter to realize Stuart would not have been supportive of her choice to write this book?
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)