|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
2. What kind of party does Mrs. Leefolt have in the first chapter of the book?
3. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
4. What one housekeeping skill is Celia Foote very bad at, as revealed in chapter 3?
5. Who does Skeeter mail the chapter with Aibileen's story to in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
2. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
3. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
4. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
5. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
6. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
7. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
8. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
9. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
10. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
Essay Topic 3
Who is Aibileen? What does she mean when she says that she has raised seventeen children? Why does Aibileen not remain with these kids until adulthood? What changes in the children that Aibileen finds hard to deal with? How could this frequent change in employment lead to trouble for Aibileen? What happened shortly before Aibileen went to work for the Leefolts? How did this tragedy come about? How has it impacted Aibileen? How did this tragedy make Aibileen more open to falling in love with Mae Mobley? How does Mrs. Leefolt treat her only child? What causes this? What does Aibileen do about it?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)