|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Shinalator?
2. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
3. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
4. How old was Treelore when he died?
5. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
2. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
3. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
4. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
5. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
6. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
7. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
8. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
9. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
10. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Skeeter and her mother
2) Skeeter and Stuart
3) Stuart and his father
4) Hilly and Elizabeth
5) Hilly and Skeeter.
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Stuart Whitworth? How does Skeeter meet him? What happens at this first meeting? Why does Skeeter leave this meeting feeling humiliated? What does Skeeter perceive as the reason why she has trouble attracting men? Does this have anything to do with Stuart's initial rudeness toward Skeeter? Why does Stuart come back and begin taking Skeeter out again? How does Skeeter respond to Stuart's attentions? How does this change the way Skeeter feels about herself? What does Skeeter learn happened between Skeeter and his ex-fiance? Why should this have warned Skeeter that Stuart would not be supportive of the book she is writing? What happens when Skeeter finally tells Stuart about her book?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)