|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in chapter 16, approaches Aibileen at a Community Concerns Meeting at her church about Skeeter's book?
2. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
3. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
4. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
5. What item in the living room of the Foote residence frightens Minny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
2. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
3. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
4. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
5. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
6. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
7. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
8. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
9. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
10. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Social Expectations
4) Ambition versus Fear.
Essay Topic 2
What does Skeeter do that causes her to lose all her friends? Why did Skeeter do this? What did it prove? Did it change anything? How does Skeeter feel about this change in her social life? Is Skeeter saddened by the loss of her friends? Did Skeeter truly consider Hilly her friend? How do Aibileen and Minny feel about what has happened to Skeeter? How does this treatment of Skeeter by those in Jackson force her to make a life altering decision? How does this ousting by the social caste compare to Celia Foote's place in Jackson society? Why do you think the author felt the need to create two such parallel characters?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Minny Jackson? What does she do for a living? Why does she find herself searching for a job in the early chapters of the novel? What trouble does she run into while looking for a job? Why is this? Why does Minny blame herself for much of her job hunting trouble? Is Minny really to blame for her inability to find a job? Who does Minny serve the Terrible, Awful thing to? Why does she call it the Terrible, Awful? What did Minny do? Why did she do this? What was the consequence of this action? How does Minny feel about what she has done?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)