|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What milestone has Mae Mobley entered in chapter 7?
2. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
3. What is Skeeter's christian name?
4. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
5. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
2. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
3. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
4. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
5. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
6. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
7. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
8. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
9. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
10. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
Who hires Minny Jackson after she loses her job with Mrs. Walters? What role did Aibileen play in getting this job for Minny? Why are Aibileen and Minny afraid Hilly will learn of Minny's new job and do something to ruin it? What else is odd about this job? Why does Minny repeatedly remind her employer that she promised to tell her husband about hiring a maid? Why does the employer not want her husband to know about her hiring a maid? What is unusual about this employer's attitude toward Minny? How does Minny feel about this attitude? What does Minny attempt to teach her employer? How does that work out?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter's mother constantly complain about in regards to her daughter's appearance? How does this make Skeeter feel? How does this reflect on Skeeter's lack of romantic experience? At what age do most of the girls Skeeter is friends with get married? What does it say about Skeeter that she is not married? What does Skeeter want to do with her life? What obstacles are in Skeeter's way that might not have been in a more modern setting? What does it say about Skeeter that she disregards her mother's advice and pursues her desire to have a career?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)