|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
2. What does Skeeter admit caused her some disappointment at first in chapter 12?
3. Who is Miss Myrna?
4. What does Aibileen write in a small blue notepad?
5. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
2. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
3. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
4. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
5. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
6. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
7. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
8. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
9. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
10. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Social Expectations
4) Ambition versus Fear.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does Skeeter become acquainted with Aibileen? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen to do for her? How does this cause Skeeter to come up with an idea for a nonfiction book? Why does Skeeter ask Aibileen to help with this book? What does Aibileen do to help Skeeter? How does Skeeter feel about the writing of this book and Aibileen's role in it? Why is this so important to Skeeter? Why does Skeeter not get married and have children like her friends? Why does Skeeter not marry Stuart? What clues should have led Skeeter to realize Stuart would not have been supportive of her choice to write this book?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)