|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
2. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
3. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
4. Who is Patricia van Devender?
5. What news does Elizabeth Leefolt announce to Skeeter and Hilly in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
2. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
3. What does Minny learn in chapter 32 is some of the fallout from Skeeter's book?
4. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
5. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
6. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
7. How does Aibileen lose her job in chapter 34?
8. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
9. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
10. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay using examples or quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hilly's bathroom initiative. What is it? What is the point behind it? Why would Hilly think that sharing a bathroom with a black person could lead to the exchange of deadly diseases? Why does Hilly pressure Mrs. Leefolt into building a bathroom in the car port for Aibileen? How does Aibileen feel about this? What happens when Aibileen takes Mae Mobley into the new bathroom constructed for Aibileen's use? What does Mrs. Leefolt do when Mae Mobley attempts to use the bathroom in the carport? How does this inspire Aibileen to begins sharing secret stories with Mae Mobley?
Essay Topic 3
What does Skeeter learn about the publication of her book at the end of the novel? How do Aibileen and Minny feel when they learn the book will be published? What decision does Minny make that she hopes will guarantee no one learns that the book was written about Jackson by maids living in Jackson? How does this place Minny in danger? Why does Aibileen think Minny made this decision? What are the sales like when the book first comes out? What changes this? What does Hilly think of the book? What does she tell all her friends about the book? What changes Hilly's mind about her determination to prove it was written in and about Jackson? Why does Hilly threaten to sue Skeeter?
This section contains 3,128 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)