|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 her mother has to live?
(c) A few months.
2. How much time does Mrs. Stein cut off of Skeeter's deadline for completing her book in chapter 26?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) Three days.
3. Who does Skeeter reveal she paid twenty-five dollars each to put the thirty plus toilets on Hilly's front lawn?
(a) Her own brother and a friend.
(b) Aibileen's cousin and nephew.
(c) Stuart and her brother.
(d) Pascagoula's brothers.
4. How common does Aibileen tell Skeeter it was for women to give up their children to care for white families?
(a) Not common, but it was done.
(b) Everyone did it.
(c) Very common.
5. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
(a) She was ill and Constantine no longer wanted her.
(b) Her skin was too white for her to go unnoticed in the south.
(c) Constantine was hiding her from her biological father.
(d) Constantine was single and could not care for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What list does Mrs. Phelan start writing for Skeeter with the understanding that she is dying?
2. What actress does Skeeter note is on the cover of Life magazine?
3. Why does Pascagoula tell Skeeter in chapter 19 that no one would work for her mother except her?
4. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
5. Why does Skeeter tell her mother in chapter 28 that most of the holiday parties have been canceled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
2. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
3. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
4. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
5. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
6. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
7. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
8. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
9. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
10. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)