|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time does Mrs. Stein cut off of Skeeter's deadline for completing her book in chapter 26?
(a) Two months.
(b) A month.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two weeks.
2. How long does Celia stay in bed after the disaster at the Benefit?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Four days.
3. Why does Minny fear for her job in chapter 24?
(a) Hilly Holbrook found out she works for Celia Foote.
(b) Celia is angry with her again.
(c) Mr. Johnny is unhappy with her work.
(d) Leroy showed up at the Foote house and caused trouble.
4. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
(a) He claims he does not know her after she tells him about her book.
(b) Hilly tells him about Skeeter's possession of the Jim Crow laws.
(c) He has just learned her mother is dying.
(d) He has decided he does not like her sense of style.
5. What name does Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny chose for the book they are writing?
(a) Southern Help.
(b) Colored Domestics and their Southern Families.
(c) The Help.
(d) Southern Domestics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
2. Where does Skeeter go in chapter 19 to cool off in the overwhelming heat?
3. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
4. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
5. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
2. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
3. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
4. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
5. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
6. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
9. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
10. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)