|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) Shortly before Christmas.
(b) Too late for the deadline.
(c) In January.
(d) She does not.
2. What does Celia call Minny at the end of chapter 17 that makes Minny annoyed with Celia?
3. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
(a) A book signed by everyone in the church.
(b) A plaque with her name on it.
(c) A new Bible.
(d) A painted portrait.
4. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
(a) Hilly has decided to disban the Jackson League.
(b) Hilly has thrown Skeeter out of the League.
(c) Hilly will take over as editor of the newsletter.
(d) Hilly has voted to end the newsletter.
5. Who is Pascagoula's cousin?
(a) Yule May.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stuart fail to greet his own parents in chapter 28 when he and Skeeter see them during a dinner out?
2. What does Skeeter feel the Whitworth house is a museum in honor of in chapter 20?
3. What is in a letter Aibileen gives to Skeeter in chapter 27?
4. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
5. Why does Skeeter tell her mother in chapter 28 that most of the holiday parties have been canceled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
2. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
3. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
4. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
5. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
6. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
7. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
8. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
9. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
10. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)