|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What modern convenience does Skeeter's mother refuse to have added to the house as Skeeter explains in chapter 19?
(b) Convection oven.
(c) Air conditioning.
2. What instrument does Celia Foote use to protect Minny from a crazy, naked man in chapter 24?
(a) A hunting knife.
(b) A broom handle.
(c) A fireplace poker.
(d) An antique sword.
3. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
(a) A dish washer.
(b) A clothes washer.
(c) Air conditioning.
(d) A refrigertor.
4. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
(a) Mrs. Walters.
(b) Skeeter Phelan.
(c) Elizabeth Leefolt.
(d) Hilly Holbrook.
5. What does Minny forbid Skeeter to do in chapter 17?
(a) Call Celia Foote.
(b) Print stories about Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Discuss her family business.
(d) Go to the Benefit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Aibileen to stay away from Skeeter if she wants to keep her job?
2. With whom does Skeeter plan to share the advance money and subsequent royalty payments with?
3. What reason does Stuart give Skeeter in chapter 28 for not working on the oil rigs any longer?
4. How does Celia know in chapter 17 that Minny knows how to play bridge?
5. How old is Mae Mobley at the beginning of chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
2. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
3. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
4. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
5. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
6. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
7. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
8. What does Hilly tell Skeeter to publish in the League newsletter or she will throw her out of the league?
9. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
10. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)