|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in a letter Aibileen gives to Skeeter in chapter 27?
(a) The truth of why Constantine left.
(b) A confession by Yule May.
(c) Her reasons for pulling out of the book project.
(d) A resume.
2. What name does Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny chose for the book they are writing?
(a) Southern Domestics.
(b) Southern Help.
(c) The Help.
(d) Colored Domestics and their Southern Families.
3. What does Minny say God would have made people if he had intended for whites and blacks to spend a large amount of time together?
(a) More open minded.
(b) Less prone to bad moods.
(c) All the same size.
(d) Color blind.
4. What secret does Minny finally reveal to Celia as they wait for the doctor to come in chapter 18?
(a) That Elizabeth Leefolt did not really recommend her.
(b) That she was accused of theft by Hilly Holbrook.
(c) That she has five kids.
(d) That Johnny knows about her.
5. How common does Aibileen tell Skeeter it was for women to give up their children to care for white families?
(a) Everyone did it.
(c) Very common.
(d) Not common, but it was done.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
2. What ailment does Minny's son, Benny, suffer?
3. What captivates Mrs. Leefolt most about People Will Talk's review of Skeeter and Aibileen's book?
4. Why does Skeeter think the maids in the state senator's house are looking at her oddly in chapter 20?
5. What does Mae Mobley do when she sees the toilets on Hilly Holbrook's front lawn in chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
2. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
3. Who has Skeeter started dating in chapter 19? Why does she refuse to go to Biloxi with him?
4. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
5. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
6. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
7. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
8. Why does Celia threaten to leave her husband in chapter 26? How does Minny talk her out of it?
9. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
10. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)