|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
(a) A refrigertor.
(b) A clothes washer.
(c) A dish washer.
(d) Air conditioning.
2. What modern convenience does Skeeter's mother refuse to have added to the house as Skeeter explains in chapter 19?
(a) Convection oven.
(d) Air conditioning.
3. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
(a) She is editor of the newsletter.
(b) It is her civic duty.
(c) She hopes Hilly will someday forgive her.
(d) Elizabeth is still her friend.
4. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
(a) Gertrude Black.
(b) Rebecca Jones.
(c) Sarah Ross.
(d) Toni Franklin.
5. What secret does Minny finally reveal to Celia as they wait for the doctor to come in chapter 18?
(a) That Elizabeth Leefolt did not really recommend her.
(b) That she has five kids.
(c) That she was accused of theft by Hilly Holbrook.
(d) That Johnny knows about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attracts a large amount of attention upon her arrival at the Benefit?
2. What new pill does Skeeter read about in the newspaper in chapter 19 that is hailed as a pill 'to help women cope with everyday challenges'?
3. What famous literary character does Skeeter compare herself to in chapter 27?
4. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
5. What does Skeeter push Stuart to tell her about his ex-fiancee in chapter 19 that causes some tension between them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Hilly Holbrook's house in chapter 22? Who is responsible?
2. What does Mrs. Stein ask Skeeter to add to the book in chapter 27? What does Skeeter ask Aibileen in order to help her with this?
3. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
4. Why does Skeeter feel it is important to change the location and names in the book she is writing?
5. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
6. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
7. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
8. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
9. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
10. In chapter 28, Skeeter goes shopping and finally finds her own style. What style is that? What has inspired it?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)