|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new gadget has Celia Foote bought that Minny is impressed by in chapter 30?
(a) An automatic dishwasher.
(b) A television remote control.
(c) A garbage disposal.
(d) A self propelled vaccuum cleaner.
2. How does Celia know in chapter 17 that Minny knows how to play bridge?
(a) They played the game once when Minny first came to work for her.
(b) She told her.
(c) Mrs. Walters told her they used to play together.
(d) Minny told Johnny Foote she knew how.
3. What does Celia tear from Hilly's dress that Hilly later insists Celia make a two hundred dollar donation to the Junior League to make up for?
(a) Her hem.
(b) Her skirt.
(c) Her collar.
(d) Her cuff.
4. Where is the Junior League Benefit for Children held in chapter 25?
(a) Hilly Holbrook's house.
(b) The Jackson Country Club.
(c) The Robert E. Lee Hotel.
(d) The Governor's Mansion.
5. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) She has decided not to die.
(b) She has decided to seek alternative treatments.
(c) She has decided not to let Skeeter marry Stuart.
(d) She has decided to commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Skeeter calls Aibileen in chapter 19 to tell her Yule May's decision, what does Aibileen say she was told about Yule May's working status?
2. What new pill does Skeeter read about in the newspaper in chapter 19 that is hailed as a pill 'to help women cope with everyday challenges'?
3. What does Mrs. Phelan tell the Whitworths Skeeter has been writing about in chapter 20?
4. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
5. Why does Skeeter think the maids in the state senator's house are looking at her oddly in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Skeeter learn about Yule May in chapter 19? What does the letter from Yule May to Skeeter say? What is the result of this situation?
2. In chapter 22, it is Mae Mobley's birthday. What kind of cake does Aibileen want to make? Why? What kind does Elizabeth Leefolt insist on Aibileen making?
3. Hilly Holbrook wins Minny's chocolate pie in the silent auction at the Benefit. Who bid on the pie for Hilly? Who does she think bid on it for her?
4. In chapter 18, Minny finds Celia in the bathroom of her bedroom. What has happened to Celia? How does this explain her odd behavior since Minny came to work for her?
5. Why does Minny feel that Celia Foote does not understand the line between whites and blacks?
6. What does Minny insist on adding to her section of the book? For what reason?
7. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
8. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
9. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
10. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)