|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what act does Mrs. Leefolt punish Mae Mobley in chapter 2 that makes Aibileen feel outrage for the child?
(a) Breaking one of her toys.
(b) Pulling the phone out of her mother's hand.
(c) Tearing up her mother's stationary.
(d) Spilling flour on the floor.
2. Who, in chapter 16, approaches Aibileen at a Community Concerns Meeting at her church about Skeeter's book?
(c) Yule May.
3. Why does Mr. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley she will not go to college in chapter 2?
(a) Mrs. Leefolt hired a maid they cannot afford.
(b) Mrs. Leefolt is spending unnecessary money building a bathroom for Aibileen.
(c) Mrs. Leefolt donated too much to a Junior League charity.
(d) Mrs. Leefolt overspent on a shopping trip.
4. What is Skeeter doing when she runs into Hilly Holbrook and Elizabeth Leefolt in chapter 15?
(a) Playing golf.
(d) Playing tennis.
5. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
(a) Editor for Harper & Row.
(b) Copywriter for Harper & Row.
(c) Editor for a New York magazine.
(d) Copywriter for a New York magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
2. What does Skeeter admit caused her some disappointment at first in chapter 12?
3. Who is Mrs. Stein?
4. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
5. What does Aibileen reveal in chapter 12 about the kitchen in the governor's mansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
2. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
3. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
4. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
5. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
6. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
7. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
8. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
9. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
10. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)