|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Patricia van Devender?
(a) Stuart Farnsworth's sister.
(b) Stuart Whitworth's former fiancee.
(c) William Holbrook's cousin.
(d) Johnny Foote's mother-in-law.
2. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
(a) A large canvas backpack.
(b) A red satchel that her grandmother once used for her gardening tools.
(c) A green army knapsack.
(d) A black attache case with a broken latch.
3. What is Skeeter doing when she runs into Hilly Holbrook and Elizabeth Leefolt in chapter 15?
(b) Playing golf.
(c) Playing tennis.
4. In chapter 15, who accuses Aibileen of not teaching Mae Mobley manners?
(a) Mrs. Leefolt's mother.
(b) Mrs. Leefolt.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Mrs. Walters.
5. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
(a) She's too skittish.
(b) She's too skinny.
(c) She's too inexperienced.
(d) She's too busy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
2. Who does Skeeter ask Aibileen about at the end of chapter 1?
3. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
4. Who is Mrs. Stein?
5. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
2. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
3. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
4. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
5. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
6. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
7. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
8. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
9. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
10. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)