|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
(a) She does not want him to know she is afraid to be alone.
(b) She wants him to think she can care for him and the house herself.
(c) She is afriad he will not like the money she is spending on the maid.
(d) She is afraid he will not like having a black maid in the house.
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) Skeeter Phelan's book.
(b) Medgar Evers' murder.
(c) Racial tensions in Jackson.
(d) The March on Washington.
3. What are Yule May, Hilly Holbrook's maid, and her husband saving up for as she tells Aibileen in chapter 16?
(a) Tuition for their twin sons to go to college.
(b) Tuition for their daughter to go to college.
(c) A down payment on a new house.
(d) A down payment on a new car.
4. What does Mrs. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley about using Aibileen's toilet in chapter 7?
(a) She will spoil Aibileen's privacy.
(b) She will get some terrible disease.
(c) She will fall into the comode.
(d) She will get injured walking to the carport.
5. What does Aibileen tell Minny in chapter 2 that Hilly Hobrook accused her of?
(a) Stealing jewelry.
(b) Not feeding Mrs. Walters.
(c) Stealing silver.
(d) Not cleaning properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
2. Who does Aibileen recommend Minny to, lying about Elizabeth Leefolt recommending her as a good maid?
3. What point of view is used in this novel?
4. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
5. What general shares a name with a popular hotel and restaurant in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
2. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
3. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
4. What are the interviews like between Skeeter and Minny? Who does Minny refuse to allow Skeeter to place in her book?
5. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
6. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
7. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
8. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
9. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
10. Who is Constantine? What does Skeeter think happened to her?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)