|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 15, who accuses Aibileen of not teaching Mae Mobley manners?
(a) Mrs. Leefolt's mother.
(b) Mrs. Leefolt.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Mrs. Walters.
2. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
3. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
(b) Stomach ulcers.
(c) Cystic fibrosis.
(d) Multiple sclerosis.
4. Why does Hilly claim that blacks and white should never attend the same school together in chapter 14?
(a) The blacks would harm the whites.
(b) The risk of the transmission of disease.
(c) They are too different.
(d) Blacks are not smart enough to keep up with whites.
5. What point of view is used in this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person omniscient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hotstack?
2. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
3. Why does Minny tell Aibileen she needs to find a new job in chapter 2?
4. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
5. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
2. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
3. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
4. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
5. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
6. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
7. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
8. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
9. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
10. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)