Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Seventeen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) Skeeter Phelan's book.
(b) The March on Washington.
(c) Medgar Evers' murder.
(d) Racial tensions in Jackson.
3. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
(a) Since elementary school.
(b) Since infancy.
(c) Since high school.
(d) Since college.
4. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
5. Who is Mrs. Stein?
(a) A neighbor to Longleaf.
(b) An editor for Harper & Row.
(c) A maid working in Jackson.
(d) A friend of Skeeter's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
2. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
3. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
4. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
5. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
2. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
3. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
4. What are the secret stories that Aibileen tells Mae Mobley? Why does Aibileen tell these stories?
5. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
6. In chapter 24, Minny fights with a naked man in the Foote's backyard. Who is the man? Why is Minny fighting him? What happens?
7. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
8. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
9. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
10. How does the tide against the maids change in the aftermath of Hilly finishing the book?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)