|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what act does Mrs. Leefolt punish Mae Mobley in chapter 2 that makes Aibileen feel outrage for the child?
(a) Breaking one of her toys.
(b) Pulling the phone out of her mother's hand.
(c) Tearing up her mother's stationary.
(d) Spilling flour on the floor.
2. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
(a) Celia Foote.
(b) Skeeter and her family.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Mrs. Leefolt.
3. What does Aibileen tell Minny in chapter 2 that Hilly Hobrook accused her of?
(a) Stealing jewelry.
(b) Not cleaning properly.
(c) Stealing silver.
(d) Not feeding Mrs. Walters.
4. Why does Hilly claim that blacks and white should never attend the same school together in chapter 14?
(a) They are too different.
(b) The risk of the transmission of disease.
(c) The blacks would harm the whites.
(d) Blacks are not smart enough to keep up with whites.
5. What news does Elizabeth Leefolt announce to Skeeter and Hilly in chapter 12?
(a) She is divorcing Raleigh.
(b) She is firing Aibileen.
(c) She is giving Mae Mobley up for adoption.
(d) She is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Aibileen admits that she admires about Hilly Holbrook in chapter 14?
2. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
3. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
4. What one housekeeping skill is Celia Foote very bad at, as revealed in chapter 3?
5. Who does Skeeter mail the chapter with Aibileen's story to in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
2. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
3. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
4. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
5. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
6. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
7. What does Aibileen ask of Skeeter during their sixth session together working on Skeeter's book?
8. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
9. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
10. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)