|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
(a) Copywriter for a New York magazine.
(b) Editor for Harper & Row.
(c) Editor for a New York magazine.
(d) Copywriter for Harper & Row.
2. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
(a) Elizabeth Leefolt.
(b) Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Constantine, their former maid.
(d) Carlton, Skeeter's brother.
3. What does Aibileen write in a small blue notepad?
(a) Her prayers.
(b) Her thoughts and emotions.
(c) Her grocery lists.
(d) Her fictional stories.
4. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
(a) Interviews with black maids about their families.
(b) Interviews with southern women about their families.
(c) Interviews with white housewives about their black maids.
(d) Interviews with black maids about their white employers.
5. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) The March on Washington.
(b) Skeeter Phelan's book.
(c) Racial tensions in Jackson.
(d) Medgar Evers' murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
2. What is the one thing Aibileen admits that she admires about Hilly Holbrook in chapter 14?
3. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
4. Where does Hilly Holbrook invite Mrs. Leefolt and Mae Mobley to go in chapter 15?
5. What does Mrs. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley about using Aibileen's toilet in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
2. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
3. Who sets up the first date between Stuart Whitworth and Skeeter? How does it go?
4. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
5. What does Miss Celia do that Minny finds odd? Why does Minny have trouble teaching Miss Celia to cook?
6. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
7. Why does Skeeter begin visiting Aibileen at Mrs. Leefolt's house? What does Skeeter talk to Aibileen about?
8. What does Aibileen write in her small notebook? How did she get into this habit?
9. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
10. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)