|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
(a) She was a house slave.
(b) She was a wet nurse.
(c) She was a maid.
(d) She was a teacher.
2. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Stomach ulcers.
(b) Cystic fibrosis.
(d) Multiple sclerosis.
3. What does Skeeter's mother nag her about in chapter 5?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Getting a haircut.
(c) Getting a home of her own.
(d) Getting a job.
4. Why does Mr. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley she will not go to college in chapter 2?
(a) Mrs. Leefolt donated too much to a Junior League charity.
(b) Mrs. Leefolt overspent on a shopping trip.
(c) Mrs. Leefolt is spending unnecessary money building a bathroom for Aibileen.
(d) Mrs. Leefolt hired a maid they cannot afford.
5. What is Skeeter doing when she runs into Hilly Holbrook and Elizabeth Leefolt in chapter 15?
(c) Playing tennis.
(d) Playing golf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
2. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
3. What gesture would Constantine use to let Skeeter knew she wanted her to pay close attention to her?
4. Who is Pascagoula?
5. Who, in chapter 16, approaches Aibileen at a Community Concerns Meeting at her church about Skeeter's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celia spend most of her days doing? What is the result?
2. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
3. How does the first interview between Skeeter and Aibileen go? What does Skeeter think will happen next?
4. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
5. Who is killed blocks from Aibileen's home? What is the aftermath of this death?
6. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
7. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
8. Who is Skeeter Phelan? How does she know Hilly Holbrook? What did Hilly threaten to do in the beginning of chapter 5 to Skeeter?
9. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
10. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)