|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of party does Mrs. Leefolt have in the first chapter of the book?
(a) Birthday party.
(b) Cocktail party.
(c) Bridge party.
(d) Tupperware party.
2. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
(a) Carlton, Skeeter's brother.
(b) Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Constantine, their former maid.
(d) Elizabeth Leefolt.
3. Who does Skeeter mail the chapter with Aibileen's story to in chapter 12?
(a) Carlton, her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) An editor at Harper's Bizarre.
(d) Mrs. Stein.
4. What is Hotstack?
(a) A type of dish in Mississippi.
(b) A store in Jackson.
(c) A new magazine in Mississippi.
(d) A black community near Longleaf.
5. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
(b) Multiple sclerosis.
(c) Stomach ulcers.
(d) Cystic fibrosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
2. What does Mrs. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley about using Aibileen's toilet in chapter 7?
3. What ailment does Mae Mobley suffer when Aibileen first begins to care for her?
4. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
5. What threat did Hilly make against Skeeter early in the novel that causes her angst in chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
2. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
3. What does Minny believe she has heard in the middle of the night at the end of chapter 32? What does it mean?
4. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
5. How are most of the women at the Benefit dressed? How does Celia Foote stand out?
6. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
7. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
8. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
9. What begins to happen throughout town as people begin to read Skeeter's book?
10. Why does Minny leave her husband in chapter 34?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)