|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threat did Hilly make against Skeeter early in the novel that causes her angst in chapter 5?
(a) To tell her mother she refuses to follow instructions in editing the League newsletter.
(b) To cancel the date she has planned with Stuart Whitworth.
(c) To kick her out of the Junior League if she does not publish the bathroom initiative.
(d) To throw her out of the bridge game if she does not stop cheating.
2. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
3. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
(a) She refuses to tell her husband about hiring a maid.
(b) She does not offer to pay enough.
(c) The house is too large and it is too much work.
(d) She is too odd.
4. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) Medgar Evers' murder.
(b) The March on Washington.
(c) Racial tensions in Jackson.
(d) Skeeter Phelan's book.
5. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
(a) Since infancy.
(b) Since elementary school.
(c) Since college.
(d) Since high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley she will not go to college in chapter 2?
2. Who is Pascagoula?
3. Why does Minny tell Aibileen she needs to find a new job in chapter 2?
4. What is Skeeter's christian name?
5. What is Hotstack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What letter does Skeeter receive in chapter 6 that inspires her to begin searching for a writing job and to find unique topics to write about?
2. Why does Skeeter try to pay money to Aibileen in chapter 8? How does Aibileen react?
3. What was Treelore hoping to do before his death? How did Aibileen feel about this?
4. What does Skeeter show to Aibileen in chapter 14? Why does Aibileen later show this same thing to Minny?
5. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
6. What does Hilly Holbrook ask Aibileen that she feels she must answer honestly for Mae Mobley's sake? Why does Hilly ask this question of Aibileen?
7. In chapter 10, Celia locks herself in the bathroom and yells at Minny when she comes to change the bedsheets. What does this and other odd behaviors say about Celia?
8. Who is Yule May? What does she want to speak to Aibileen about at a meeting at their church?
9. What worries Minny about the day that Celia Foote will tell her husband that she has hired a maid? How does Johnny Foote finally find out about Minny?
10. How did Minny Jackson get an interview with Celia Foote? What happens at the interview?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)