|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aibileen write in a small blue notepad?
(a) Her fictional stories.
(b) Her grocery lists.
(c) Her prayers.
(d) Her thoughts and emotions.
2. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
(a) Carlton, Skeeter's brother.
(b) Constantine, their former maid.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Elizabeth Leefolt.
3. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
(a) Interviews with white housewives about their black maids.
(b) Interviews with southern women about their families.
(c) Interviews with black maids about their families.
(d) Interviews with black maids about their white employers.
4. What is Skeeter's christian name?
5. Who is Patricia van Devender?
(a) Johnny Foote's mother-in-law.
(b) William Holbrook's cousin.
(c) Stuart Farnsworth's sister.
(d) Stuart Whitworth's former fiancee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
2. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
3. What does Aibileen tell Minny in chapter 2 that Hilly Hobrook accused her of?
4. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
5. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who shows up at Elizabeth Leefolt's door in chapter 23 to buy tickets to the League's Children's Benefit? Why is this potentially a disaster for Minny and Aibileen?
2. What rules did Minny's mother tell her about working for a white woman? Which rule does Minny constantly break?
3. What is the Terrible Awful? Why does Minny tell it to Celia in chapter 26?
4. What does Hilly Holbrook complain about at Elizabeth Leefolt's? How does this lead to the Leefolt's building a new bathroom in the carport of their home?
5. What does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 that her mother is suffering? What are her prospects?
6. What does Mrs. Stein tell Skeeter in chapter 27 about the deadline for the book? How does this change things?
7. Who does Aibileen go to work for at the beginning of the novel? What happened just a few months before she accepted this job?
8. What television show discusses Skeeter's book in chapter 29? What is the result?
9. What does Celia tell her husband, Johnny Foote, that prompts him to tell Minny she will have a job for life in chapter 30?
10. Why does Aibileen begin telling Mae Mobley she is a smart, kind girl?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)