|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mae Mobley do when she sees the toilets on Hilly Holbrook's front lawn in chapter 22?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She tells Aibileen to take her home.
(c) She uses one.
(d) She cries.
2. What excuse does Aibileen think Skeeter will use for the toilet confusion at Hilly Holbrook's house?
(a) It was an accident.
(b) It was a joke.
(c) It was a typo.
(d) It was someone else.
3. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
(a) The Biography of Washington Carver.
(b) Stride Toward Freedom.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
4. What actress does Skeeter note is on the cover of Life magazine?
(a) Audrey Hepburn.
(b) Katherine Hepburn.
(c) Elizabeth Taylor.
(d) Rita Hayworth.
5. How much time does Mrs. Stein cut off of Skeeter's deadline for completing her book in chapter 26?
(a) A month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two months.
6. Who tells Aibileen to stay away from Skeeter if she wants to keep her job?
(b) Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Mr. Leefolt.
(d) Mrs. Leefolt.
7. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) She has decided to seek alternative treatments.
(b) She has decided not to die.
(c) She has decided not to let Skeeter marry Stuart.
(d) She has decided to commit suicide.
8. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
(a) Elizabeth is still her friend.
(b) She is editor of the newsletter.
(c) She hopes Hilly will someday forgive her.
(d) It is her civic duty.
9. How much time has passed between chapter 28 and chapter 29?
(a) A year.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) A month.
(d) Six months.
10. What ailment does Minny's son, Benny, suffer?
(d) Severe allergies.
11. Who is waiting for Skeeter as she arrives home at the end of chapter 27?
(d) Dr. Neal.
12. What does Mrs. Phelan tell the Whitworths Skeeter has been writing about in chapter 20?
(a) Housekeeping hints.
(c) The civil rights movement.
(d) Black maids working in white households in the south.
13. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
(a) A vitamin tonic.
(b) Hair tonic.
(c) A catching tonic.
(d) A celery tonic.
14. What does Minny say God would have made people if he had intended for whites and blacks to spend a large amount of time together?
(a) All the same size.
(b) More open minded.
(c) Color blind.
(d) Less prone to bad moods.
15. What does Celia call Minny at the end of chapter 17 that makes Minny annoyed with Celia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celia tear from Hilly's dress that Hilly later insists Celia make a two hundred dollar donation to the Junior League to make up for?
2. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
3. Why does Skeeter tell her mother in chapter 28 that most of the holiday parties have been canceled?
4. Who does Skeeter reveal she paid twenty-five dollars each to put the thirty plus toilets on Hilly's front lawn?
5. What new gadget has Celia Foote bought that Minny is impressed by in chapter 30?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)