|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time does Mrs. Stein cut off of Skeeter's deadline for completing her book in chapter 26?
(a) Two months.
(b) A month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
2. What secret does Minny finally reveal to Celia as they wait for the doctor to come in chapter 18?
(a) That Johnny knows about her.
(b) That she was accused of theft by Hilly Holbrook.
(c) That Elizabeth Leefolt did not really recommend her.
(d) That she has five kids.
3. Where does Skeeter go in chapter 19 to cool off in the overwhelming heat?
(a) Hilly's house.
(b) The house.
(c) The Cadillac.
(d) The local department store.
4. Who is the Benefit to benefit?
(a) Poor Starving Children of Africa.
(b) The local schools.
(c) The Starving Children of Ethiopia.
(d) The poor of Jackson.
5. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
(a) A plaque with her name on it.
(b) A new Bible.
(c) A book signed by everyone in the church.
(d) A painted portrait.
6. Why does Stuart fail to greet his own parents in chapter 28 when he and Skeeter see them during a dinner out?
(a) Skeeter's skirt is too short.
(b) Skeeter is drunk.
(c) He wants to keep Skeeter to himself.
(d) He is drunk.
7. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) In January.
(b) Too late for the deadline.
(c) Shortly before Christmas.
(d) She does not.
8. What name does Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny chose for the book they are writing?
(a) The Help.
(b) Southern Domestics.
(c) Southern Help.
(d) Colored Domestics and their Southern Families.
9. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) She has decided to commit suicide.
(b) She has decided not to let Skeeter marry Stuart.
(c) She has decided to seek alternative treatments.
(d) She has decided not to die.
10. How long does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 her mother has to live?
(a) A few months.
11. What does Mae Mobley do when she sees the toilets on Hilly Holbrook's front lawn in chapter 22?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries.
(c) She uses one.
(d) She tells Aibileen to take her home.
12. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
(a) Black eyed peas.
(b) A ham.
(c) A turkey feast.
(d) Pinto beans.
13. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
(a) He has decided he does not like her sense of style.
(b) He has just learned her mother is dying.
(c) Hilly tells him about Skeeter's possession of the Jim Crow laws.
(d) He claims he does not know her after she tells him about her book.
14. How long does Celia stay in bed after the disaster at the Benefit?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Three days.
(d) One day.
15. What does Minny say God would have made people if he had intended for whites and blacks to spend a large amount of time together?
(a) Color blind.
(b) More open minded.
(c) Less prone to bad moods.
(d) All the same size.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Aibileen think Skeeter will use for the toilet confusion at Hilly Holbrook's house?
2. What new gadget has Celia Foote bought that Minny is impressed by in chapter 30?
3. Where is the Junior League Benefit for Children held in chapter 25?
4. What actress does Skeeter note is on the cover of Life magazine?
5. Who is waiting for Skeeter as she arrives home at the end of chapter 27?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)