|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Phelan tell the Whitworths Skeeter has been writing about in chapter 20?
(a) The civil rights movement.
(b) Black maids working in white households in the south.
(d) Housekeeping hints.
2. How much time has passed between chapter 28 and chapter 29?
(a) Six months.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) Eighteen months.
3. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
(a) Sarah Ross.
(b) Rebecca Jones.
(c) Toni Franklin.
(d) Gertrude Black.
4. Why does Skeeter think the maids in the state senator's house are looking at her oddly in chapter 20?
(a) They dislike her clothing.
(b) They think she is not good enough for Stuart.
(c) They know about her book.
(d) They dislike her hair.
5. What does Skeeter feel the Whitworth house is a museum in honor of in chapter 20?
(a) His parents.
(b) Mississippi State.
(c) The War Between the States.
(d) His dead grandfather.
6. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
(a) A celery tonic.
(b) A catching tonic.
(c) A vitamin tonic.
(d) Hair tonic.
7. What captivates Mrs. Leefolt most about People Will Talk's review of Skeeter and Aibileen's book?
(a) The review of Little Big Man.
(b) The newly decorated set of the show.
(c) The appearance of her sorority sister on the show.
(d) The speculation the book was written about Jackson.
8. Who is waiting for Skeeter as she arrives home at the end of chapter 27?
(a) Dr. Neal.
9. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
(a) Pinto beans.
(b) A ham.
(c) Black eyed peas.
(d) A turkey feast.
10. Who buys a copy of Skeeter and Aibileen's book for Hilly Holbrook?
(c) Lou Anne.
(d) Mrs. Walters.
11. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) She has decided to seek alternative treatments.
(b) She has decided to commit suicide.
(c) She has decided not to die.
(d) She has decided not to let Skeeter marry Stuart.
12. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
(a) She is editor of the newsletter.
(b) It is her civic duty.
(c) She hopes Hilly will someday forgive her.
(d) Elizabeth is still her friend.
13. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
(a) Hilly thinks Celia stole Minny with a promise of higher wages.
(b) Hilly thinks Celia trapped Johnny into marriage.
(c) Hilly thinks Celia has told lies about her around town.
(d) Hilly thinks Johnny cheated on her with Celia.
14. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
(a) Air conditioning.
(b) A refrigertor.
(c) A clothes washer.
(d) A dish washer.
15. What modern convenience does Skeeter's mother refuse to have added to the house as Skeeter explains in chapter 19?
(c) Convection oven.
(d) Air conditioning.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Skeeter calls Aibileen in chapter 19 to tell her Yule May's decision, what does Aibileen say she was told about Yule May's working status?
2. What reason does Stuart give Skeeter in chapter 28 for not working on the oil rigs any longer?
3. Why does Pascagoula tell Skeeter in chapter 19 that no one would work for her mother except her?
4. How long does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 her mother has to live?
5. What does Celia Foote threaten to do in the aftermath of the disaster at the Benefit?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)