|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Skeeter calls Aibileen in chapter 19 to tell her Yule May's decision, what does Aibileen say she was told about Yule May's working status?
(a) She no longer works for Hilly Holbrook.
(b) She has begun working for Lou Anne.
(c) She moved to Mrs. Leefolt's house.
(d) She has decided to move out of the area.
2. Why does Skeeter think the maids in the state senator's house are looking at her oddly in chapter 20?
(a) They dislike her clothing.
(b) They think she is not good enough for Stuart.
(c) They dislike her hair.
(d) They know about her book.
3. What modern convenience does Skeeter's mother refuse to have added to the house as Skeeter explains in chapter 19?
(c) Convection oven.
(d) Air conditioning.
4. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
(a) It is her civic duty.
(b) Elizabeth is still her friend.
(c) She hopes Hilly will someday forgive her.
(d) She is editor of the newsletter.
5. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
(a) Stride Toward Freedom.
(b) The Biography of Washington Carver.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
6. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
(a) Eight hundred dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) Sixty five dollars.
(d) A thousand dollars.
7. What war does Skeeter see a news report about on the television in chapter 19?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) World War II.
(c) Korean War.
(d) War on drugs.
8. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
(a) Air conditioning.
(b) A refrigertor.
(c) A dish washer.
(d) A clothes washer.
9. What does Dr. Tate accuse Celia of in chapter 18?
(a) Alcohol use.
(b) Intentionally causing her miscarriages.
(d) Drug use.
10. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) She does not.
(b) In January.
(c) Shortly before Christmas.
(d) Too late for the deadline.
11. How long does Celia stay in bed after the disaster at the Benefit?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) One day.
12. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
(a) A turkey feast.
(b) Pinto beans.
(c) Black eyed peas.
(d) A ham.
13. What does Mae Mobley do when she sees the toilets on Hilly Holbrook's front lawn in chapter 22?
(a) She cries.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She uses one.
(d) She tells Aibileen to take her home.
14. What ailment does Minny's son, Benny, suffer?
(a) Severe allergies.
15. How common does Aibileen tell Skeeter it was for women to give up their children to care for white families?
(a) Very common.
(b) Everyone did it.
(d) Not common, but it was done.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Minny think she no longer has a job with the Footes at the end of chapter 17?
2. Who is the Benefit to benefit?
3. What does Celia Foote threaten to do in the aftermath of the disaster at the Benefit?
4. Under what name does Skeeter plan to publish her book?
5. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)