|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
(a) A vitamin tonic.
(b) A catching tonic.
(c) A celery tonic.
(d) Hair tonic.
2. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
(a) A clothes washer.
(b) A dish washer.
(c) A refrigertor.
(d) Air conditioning.
3. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
(a) Constantine was single and could not care for her.
(b) Constantine was hiding her from her biological father.
(c) Her skin was too white for her to go unnoticed in the south.
(d) She was ill and Constantine no longer wanted her.
4. Why does Minny think she no longer has a job with the Footes at the end of chapter 17?
(a) Celia's mother-in-law fired her.
(b) Hilly Holbrook told Celia the truth about Minny and Celia fired her.
(c) Celia told her she was fired.
(d) Johnny Foote found her in the house and fired her.
5. Why does Minny fear for her job in chapter 24?
(a) Hilly Holbrook found out she works for Celia Foote.
(b) Mr. Johnny is unhappy with her work.
(c) Leroy showed up at the Foote house and caused trouble.
(d) Celia is angry with her again.
6. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
(a) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(b) Stride Toward Freedom.
(c) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(d) The Biography of Washington Carver.
7. Why does Skeeter tell her mother in chapter 28 that most of the holiday parties have been canceled?
(a) Out of a lack of facilities.
(b) Out of respect for the family of Medgar Evers.
(c) Out of respect for the death of President Kennedy.
(d) Out of a lack of money.
8. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
(a) A book signed by everyone in the church.
(b) A new Bible.
(c) A plaque with her name on it.
(d) A painted portrait.
9. When Skeeter calls Aibileen in chapter 19 to tell her Yule May's decision, what does Aibileen say she was told about Yule May's working status?
(a) She has begun working for Lou Anne.
(b) She moved to Mrs. Leefolt's house.
(c) She has decided to move out of the area.
(d) She no longer works for Hilly Holbrook.
10. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
(a) Hilly has thrown Skeeter out of the League.
(b) Hilly has voted to end the newsletter.
(c) Hilly has decided to disban the Jackson League.
(d) Hilly will take over as editor of the newsletter.
11. What does Celia call Minny at the end of chapter 17 that makes Minny annoyed with Celia?
12. Where is the Junior League Benefit for Children held in chapter 25?
(a) The Governor's Mansion.
(b) The Robert E. Lee Hotel.
(c) The Jackson Country Club.
(d) Hilly Holbrook's house.
13. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
(a) The magnolia tree.
(b) The peach tree.
(c) The mimosa tree.
(d) The pecan tree.
14. What reason does Stuart give Skeeter in chapter 28 for not working on the oil rigs any longer?
(a) He is too important to his company to get that dirty.
(b) He does not have the body strength anymore.
(c) He dislikes the work.
(d) He would have to leave her.
15. What name does Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny chose for the book they are writing?
(a) Colored Domestics and their Southern Families.
(b) Southern Domestics.
(c) Southern Help.
(d) The Help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Celia Foote use to protect Minny from a crazy, naked man in chapter 24?
2. What does Minny forbid Skeeter to do in chapter 17?
3. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
4. What list does Mrs. Phelan start writing for Skeeter with the understanding that she is dying?
5. How common does Aibileen tell Skeeter it was for women to give up their children to care for white families?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)