|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stuart fail to greet his own parents in chapter 28 when he and Skeeter see them during a dinner out?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) Skeeter is drunk.
(c) Skeeter's skirt is too short.
(d) He wants to keep Skeeter to himself.
2. Who calls Minny at home in the beginning of chapter 26 to speak about Celia Foote?
(b) Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Johnny Foote.
(d) Skeeter Phelan.
3. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
(a) Elizabeth Leefolt.
(b) Mrs. Walters.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Skeeter Phelan.
4. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
(a) Rebecca Jones.
(b) Sarah Ross.
(c) Gertrude Black.
(d) Toni Franklin.
5. Why does Pascagoula tell Skeeter in chapter 19 that no one would work for her mother except her?
(a) Her affiliation with the Daughters of the Revolution.
(b) Her treatment of Skeeter.
(c) Her treatment of Constantine.
(d) Her refusal to pay a fair wage.
6. What does Celia write in chapter 26 on a check made out to the Junior League?
(a) For starving children in Africa.
(b) For the torn dress.
(c) For the spoiled housewives of Jackson.
(d) For Two-Slice Hilly.
7. What captivates Mrs. Leefolt most about People Will Talk's review of Skeeter and Aibileen's book?
(a) The appearance of her sorority sister on the show.
(b) The review of Little Big Man.
(c) The newly decorated set of the show.
(d) The speculation the book was written about Jackson.
8. Why does Skeeter refuse to tell her mother of her break up with Stuart?
(a) She does not want to disappoint her.
(b) She is hoping he will come back.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She does not want to hear 'I told you so'.
9. What instrument does Celia Foote use to protect Minny from a crazy, naked man in chapter 24?
(a) A hunting knife.
(b) A fireplace poker.
(c) A broom handle.
(d) An antique sword.
10. Where is the Junior League Benefit for Children held in chapter 25?
(a) The Robert E. Lee Hotel.
(b) The Governor's Mansion.
(c) Hilly Holbrook's house.
(d) The Jackson Country Club.
11. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) Too late for the deadline.
(b) Shortly before Christmas.
(c) She does not.
(d) In January.
12. What name has Aibileen chosen to use in the book she is writing with Skeeter?
(a) Abilene Johnson.
(b) Margret Green.
(c) Sarah Ross.
(d) Rebecca Jones.
13. What does Skeeter feel the Whitworth house is a museum in honor of in chapter 20?
(a) His parents.
(b) Mississippi State.
(c) His dead grandfather.
(d) The War Between the States.
14. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
(a) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(b) The Biography of Washington Carver.
(c) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(d) Stride Toward Freedom.
15. Why does Minny fear for her job in chapter 24?
(a) Mr. Johnny is unhappy with her work.
(b) Leroy showed up at the Foote house and caused trouble.
(c) Celia is angry with her again.
(d) Hilly Holbrook found out she works for Celia Foote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
2. What does Skeeter push Stuart to tell her about his ex-fiancee in chapter 19 that causes some tension between them?
3. What name does Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny chose for the book they are writing?
4. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
5. What famous literary character does Skeeter compare herself to in chapter 27?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)