|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Minny forbid Skeeter to do in chapter 17?
(a) Go to the Benefit.
(b) Print stories about Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Call Celia Foote.
(d) Discuss her family business.
2. Why does Stuart fail to greet his own parents in chapter 28 when he and Skeeter see them during a dinner out?
(a) He wants to keep Skeeter to himself.
(b) Skeeter is drunk.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) Skeeter's skirt is too short.
3. When Skeeter calls Aibileen in chapter 19 to tell her Yule May's decision, what does Aibileen say she was told about Yule May's working status?
(a) She has begun working for Lou Anne.
(b) She moved to Mrs. Leefolt's house.
(c) She no longer works for Hilly Holbrook.
(d) She has decided to move out of the area.
4. What instrument does Celia Foote use to protect Minny from a crazy, naked man in chapter 24?
(a) A fireplace poker.
(b) An antique sword.
(c) A hunting knife.
(d) A broom handle.
5. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
(a) Two thousand dollars.
(b) Sixty five dollars.
(c) Eight hundred dollars.
(d) A thousand dollars.
6. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) She has decided to commit suicide.
(b) She has decided not to die.
(c) She has decided not to let Skeeter marry Stuart.
(d) She has decided to seek alternative treatments.
7. What does Skeeter push Stuart to tell her about his ex-fiancee in chapter 19 that causes some tension between them?
(a) What caused their break up.
(b) Whether they ever traveled together.
(c) Whether they shared a bed.
(d) What her feelings regarding the civil rights movement were.
8. Who does Skeeter reveal she paid twenty-five dollars each to put the thirty plus toilets on Hilly's front lawn?
(a) Aibileen's cousin and nephew.
(b) Her own brother and a friend.
(c) Stuart and her brother.
(d) Pascagoula's brothers.
9. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
(a) The mimosa tree.
(b) The magnolia tree.
(c) The peach tree.
(d) The pecan tree.
10. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) Shortly before Christmas.
(b) In January.
(c) She does not.
(d) Too late for the deadline.
11. Why does Skeeter think the maids in the state senator's house are looking at her oddly in chapter 20?
(a) They think she is not good enough for Stuart.
(b) They dislike her hair.
(c) They dislike her clothing.
(d) They know about her book.
12. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
(a) A refrigertor.
(b) A dish washer.
(c) Air conditioning.
(d) A clothes washer.
13. What does Minny say God would have made people if he had intended for whites and blacks to spend a large amount of time together?
(a) More open minded.
(b) All the same size.
(c) Less prone to bad moods.
(d) Color blind.
14. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
(a) He claims he does not know her after she tells him about her book.
(b) He has just learned her mother is dying.
(c) Hilly tells him about Skeeter's possession of the Jim Crow laws.
(d) He has decided he does not like her sense of style.
15. Where is the Junior League Benefit for Children held in chapter 25?
(a) Hilly Holbrook's house.
(b) The Jackson Country Club.
(c) The Robert E. Lee Hotel.
(d) The Governor's Mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Minny at home in the beginning of chapter 26 to speak about Celia Foote?
2. How old is Mae Mobley at the beginning of chapter 22?
3. What new gadget has Celia Foote bought that Minny is impressed by in chapter 30?
4. How long does Dr. Neal tell Skeeter in chapter 28 her mother has to live?
5. What does Skeeter feel the Whitworth house is a museum in honor of in chapter 20?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)