|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time does Mrs. Stein cut off of Skeeter's deadline for completing her book in chapter 26?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A month.
2. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) Too late for the deadline.
(b) She does not.
(c) In January.
(d) Shortly before Christmas.
3. What excuse does Aibileen think Skeeter will use for the toilet confusion at Hilly Holbrook's house?
(a) It was a typo.
(b) It was an accident.
(c) It was a joke.
(d) It was someone else.
4. Why does Skeeter think the maids in the state senator's house are looking at her oddly in chapter 20?
(a) They know about her book.
(b) They dislike her hair.
(c) They think she is not good enough for Stuart.
(d) They dislike her clothing.
5. What name has Aibileen chosen to use in the book she is writing with Skeeter?
(a) Abilene Johnson.
(b) Sarah Ross.
(c) Margret Green.
(d) Rebecca Jones.
6. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
(a) Hilly tells him about Skeeter's possession of the Jim Crow laws.
(b) He has just learned her mother is dying.
(c) He has decided he does not like her sense of style.
(d) He claims he does not know her after she tells him about her book.
7. What secret does Minny finally reveal to Celia as they wait for the doctor to come in chapter 18?
(a) That Elizabeth Leefolt did not really recommend her.
(b) That Johnny knows about her.
(c) That she has five kids.
(d) That she was accused of theft by Hilly Holbrook.
8. What does Skeeter's mother announce to her at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) She has decided not to die.
(b) She has decided to commit suicide.
(c) She has decided not to let Skeeter marry Stuart.
(d) She has decided to seek alternative treatments.
9. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
(a) Her skin was too white for her to go unnoticed in the south.
(b) She was ill and Constantine no longer wanted her.
(c) Constantine was hiding her from her biological father.
(d) Constantine was single and could not care for her.
10. What does Mrs. Phelan tell the Whitworths Skeeter has been writing about in chapter 20?
(a) Housekeeping hints.
(b) The civil rights movement.
(d) Black maids working in white households in the south.
11. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
(a) Rebecca Jones.
(b) Sarah Ross.
(c) Gertrude Black.
(d) Toni Franklin.
12. Who attracts a large amount of attention upon her arrival at the Benefit?
(a) Hilly Holbrook.
(b) Minny Jackson.
(c) Celia Foote.
(d) Elizabeth Leefolt.
13. Why does Minny think she no longer has a job with the Footes at the end of chapter 17?
(a) Celia's mother-in-law fired her.
(b) Celia told her she was fired.
(c) Johnny Foote found her in the house and fired her.
(d) Hilly Holbrook told Celia the truth about Minny and Celia fired her.
14. Who buys a copy of Skeeter and Aibileen's book for Hilly Holbrook?
(b) Mrs. Walters.
(c) Lou Anne.
15. What does Skeeter push Stuart to tell her about his ex-fiancee in chapter 19 that causes some tension between them?
(a) What caused their break up.
(b) Whether they shared a bed.
(c) What her feelings regarding the civil rights movement were.
(d) Whether they ever traveled together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Benefit to benefit?
2. What modern convenience does Skeeter's mother refuse to have added to the house as Skeeter explains in chapter 19?
3. What captivates Mrs. Leefolt most about People Will Talk's review of Skeeter and Aibileen's book?
4. Why is Mae Mobley spending less time with Aibileen in chapter 29?
5. What does Dr. Tate accuse Celia of in chapter 18?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)