|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What captivates Mrs. Leefolt most about People Will Talk's review of Skeeter and Aibileen's book?
(a) The review of Little Big Man.
(b) The newly decorated set of the show.
(c) The appearance of her sorority sister on the show.
(d) The speculation the book was written about Jackson.
2. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
(a) A book signed by everyone in the church.
(b) A painted portrait.
(c) A plaque with her name on it.
(d) A new Bible.
3. What actress does Skeeter note is on the cover of Life magazine?
(a) Rita Hayworth.
(b) Katherine Hepburn.
(c) Elizabeth Taylor.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
4. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
(a) A thousand dollars.
(b) Sixty five dollars.
(c) Two thousand dollars.
(d) Eight hundred dollars.
5. What list does Mrs. Phelan start writing for Skeeter with the understanding that she is dying?
(a) A list of skills every new mother should know.
(b) A list of things every new bride should know.
(c) A what not to say in public list.
(d) A what not to wear list.
6. Who tells Aibileen to stay away from Skeeter if she wants to keep her job?
(a) Mrs. Leefolt.
(c) Mr. Leefolt.
(d) Hilly Holbrook.
7. What modern convenience does Skeeter's mother refuse to have added to the house as Skeeter explains in chapter 19?
(a) Air conditioning.
(b) Convection oven.
8. Why does Pascagoula tell Skeeter in chapter 19 that no one would work for her mother except her?
(a) Her treatment of Constantine.
(b) Her affiliation with the Daughters of the Revolution.
(c) Her treatment of Skeeter.
(d) Her refusal to pay a fair wage.
9. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
(a) Hilly tells him about Skeeter's possession of the Jim Crow laws.
(b) He has decided he does not like her sense of style.
(c) He claims he does not know her after she tells him about her book.
(d) He has just learned her mother is dying.
10. Who is waiting for Skeeter as she arrives home at the end of chapter 27?
(a) Dr. Neal.
11. What name has Aibileen chosen to use in the book she is writing with Skeeter?
(a) Abilene Johnson.
(b) Margret Green.
(c) Sarah Ross.
(d) Rebecca Jones.
12. What does Celia Foote threaten to do in the aftermath of the disaster at the Benefit?
(a) Ignore Hilly Holbrook's overtures of friendship.
(b) Move closer into Jackson.
(c) Leave her husband.
(d) Write a tell all book about Jackson housewives.
13. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
(a) Hilly thinks Celia has told lies about her around town.
(b) Hilly thinks Celia stole Minny with a promise of higher wages.
(c) Hilly thinks Celia trapped Johnny into marriage.
(d) Hilly thinks Johnny cheated on her with Celia.
14. What new pill does Skeeter read about in the newspaper in chapter 19 that is hailed as a pill 'to help women cope with everyday challenges'?
15. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) Too late for the deadline.
(b) Shortly before Christmas.
(c) She does not.
(d) In January.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Minny think she no longer has a job with the Footes at the end of chapter 17?
2. Who is the Benefit to benefit?
3. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
4. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
5. What does Skeeter feel the Whitworth house is a museum in honor of in chapter 20?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)