|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Minny at home in the beginning of chapter 26 to speak about Celia Foote?
(a) Hilly Holbrook.
(b) Johnny Foote.
(c) Skeeter Phelan.
2. What famous literary character does Skeeter compare herself to in chapter 27?
(b) Cathrine Linton.
(c) Boo Radley.
(d) Holden Caulfield.
3. Why does Skeeter refuse to tell her mother of her break up with Stuart?
(a) She does not want to hear 'I told you so'.
(b) She does not want to disappoint her.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is hoping he will come back.
4. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
(a) Sixty five dollars.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) Two thousand dollars.
(d) Eight hundred dollars.
5. What new pill does Skeeter read about in the newspaper in chapter 19 that is hailed as a pill 'to help women cope with everyday challenges'?
6. Why does Stuart fail to greet his own parents in chapter 28 when he and Skeeter see them during a dinner out?
(a) Skeeter is drunk.
(b) He wants to keep Skeeter to himself.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) Skeeter's skirt is too short.
7. What appliance does Mrs. Phelan finally allow installed in her house in chapter 21 after receiving doctors orders to do so?
(a) A clothes washer.
(b) Air conditioning.
(c) A refrigertor.
(d) A dish washer.
8. What name has Aibileen chosen to use in the book she is writing with Skeeter?
(a) Sarah Ross.
(b) Margret Green.
(c) Abilene Johnson.
(d) Rebecca Jones.
9. What does Aibileen's church give her to celebrate the publication of the book?
(a) A book signed by everyone in the church.
(b) A new Bible.
(c) A painted portrait.
(d) A plaque with her name on it.
10. What does Mae Mobley do when she sees the toilets on Hilly Holbrook's front lawn in chapter 22?
(a) She cries.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She tells Aibileen to take her home.
(d) She uses one.
11. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
(a) Toni Franklin.
(b) Rebecca Jones.
(c) Gertrude Black.
(d) Sarah Ross.
12. What does Mrs. Phelan tell the Whitworths Skeeter has been writing about in chapter 20?
(a) The civil rights movement.
(b) Black maids working in white households in the south.
(d) Housekeeping hints.
13. What is in a letter Aibileen gives to Skeeter in chapter 27?
(a) A confession by Yule May.
(b) A resume.
(c) The truth of why Constantine left.
(d) Her reasons for pulling out of the book project.
14. What does Celia tear from Hilly's dress that Hilly later insists Celia make a two hundred dollar donation to the Junior League to make up for?
(a) Her hem.
(b) Her collar.
(c) Her cuff.
(d) Her skirt.
15. Why does Pascagoula tell Skeeter in chapter 19 that no one would work for her mother except her?
(a) Her refusal to pay a fair wage.
(b) Her affiliation with the Daughters of the Revolution.
(c) Her treatment of Skeeter.
(d) Her treatment of Constantine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celia think Hilly does not like her, a misunderstanding she wants to clear up in chapter 25?
2. How old is Mae Mobley at the beginning of chapter 22?
3. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
4. What war does Skeeter see a news report about on the television in chapter 19?
5. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)