|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
(a) He claims he does not know her after she tells him about her book.
(b) He has just learned her mother is dying.
(c) Hilly tells him about Skeeter's possession of the Jim Crow laws.
(d) He has decided he does not like her sense of style.
2. What captivates Mrs. Leefolt most about People Will Talk's review of Skeeter and Aibileen's book?
(a) The speculation the book was written about Jackson.
(b) The appearance of her sorority sister on the show.
(c) The newly decorated set of the show.
(d) The review of Little Big Man.
3. Why does Skeeter tell her mother in chapter 28 that most of the holiday parties have been canceled?
(a) Out of a lack of facilities.
(b) Out of a lack of money.
(c) Out of respect for the death of President Kennedy.
(d) Out of respect for the family of Medgar Evers.
4. What does Celia have delivered to the house that Minny thinks is homemade alcohol?
(a) A vitamin tonic.
(b) Hair tonic.
(c) A catching tonic.
(d) A celery tonic.
5. Who tells Aibileen to stay away from Skeeter if she wants to keep her job?
(a) Mr. Leefolt.
(b) Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Mrs. Leefolt.
6. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
(a) Black eyed peas.
(b) A ham.
(c) A turkey feast.
(d) Pinto beans.
7. What book does Minny discover Johnny Foote is reading in chapter 18?
(a) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(c) Stride Toward Freedom.
(d) The Biography of Washington Carver.
8. How long does Celia stay in bed after the disaster at the Benefit?
(a) Three days.
(b) Four days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days.
9. Why does Minny think she no longer has a job with the Footes at the end of chapter 17?
(a) Celia's mother-in-law fired her.
(b) Celia told her she was fired.
(c) Johnny Foote found her in the house and fired her.
(d) Hilly Holbrook told Celia the truth about Minny and Celia fired her.
10. What list does Mrs. Phelan start writing for Skeeter with the understanding that she is dying?
(a) A list of skills every new mother should know.
(b) A what not to wear list.
(c) A list of things every new bride should know.
(d) A what not to say in public list.
11. Who did Johnny Foote tell Minny he had asked to come play bridge with Celia?
(a) Skeeter Phelan.
(b) Mrs. Walters.
(c) Elizabeth Leefolt.
(d) Hilly Holbrook.
12. Why does Pascagoula tell Skeeter in chapter 19 that no one would work for her mother except her?
(a) Her affiliation with the Daughters of the Revolution.
(b) Her refusal to pay a fair wage.
(c) Her treatment of Constantine.
(d) Her treatment of Skeeter.
13. How does Celia know in chapter 17 that Minny knows how to play bridge?
(a) Minny told Johnny Foote she knew how.
(b) They played the game once when Minny first came to work for her.
(c) Mrs. Walters told her they used to play together.
(d) She told her.
14. What does Minny say God would have made people if he had intended for whites and blacks to spend a large amount of time together?
(a) Color blind.
(b) More open minded.
(c) Less prone to bad moods.
(d) All the same size.
15. What new pill does Skeeter read about in the newspaper in chapter 19 that is hailed as a pill 'to help women cope with everyday challenges'?
Short Answer Questions
1. What name has Aibileen chosen to use in the book she is writing with Skeeter?
2. What does Mae Mobley do when she sees the toilets on Hilly Holbrook's front lawn in chapter 22?
3. What ailment does Minny's son, Benny, suffer?
4. How much does Skeeter tell Aibileen Harper and Row has agreed to pay as an advance for the book?
5. What does Mrs. Phelan tell the Whitworths Skeeter has been writing about in chapter 20?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)