|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Minny finally reveal to Celia as they wait for the doctor to come in chapter 18?
(a) That Elizabeth Leefolt did not really recommend her.
(b) That Johnny knows about her.
(c) That she was accused of theft by Hilly Holbrook.
(d) That she has five kids.
2. What list does Mrs. Phelan start writing for Skeeter with the understanding that she is dying?
(a) A what not to say in public list.
(b) A list of things every new bride should know.
(c) A list of skills every new mother should know.
(d) A what not to wear list.
3. What actress does Skeeter note is on the cover of Life magazine?
(a) Elizabeth Taylor.
(b) Audrey Hepburn.
(c) Rita Hayworth.
(d) Katherine Hepburn.
4. What does Hilly announce at the League meeting in chapter 26 that officially cuts Skeeter out of her final tenuous attachment to Jackson social society?
(a) Hilly has decided to disban the Jackson League.
(b) Hilly will take over as editor of the newsletter.
(c) Hilly has voted to end the newsletter.
(d) Hilly has thrown Skeeter out of the League.
5. When does Skeeter mail the manuscript to Harper and Row?
(a) In January.
(b) Shortly before Christmas.
(c) Too late for the deadline.
(d) She does not.
6. In chapter 27, why does Skeeter claim she continues to go to League meetings?
(a) It is her civic duty.
(b) She hopes Hilly will someday forgive her.
(c) She is editor of the newsletter.
(d) Elizabeth is still her friend.
7. Why does Minny fear for her job in chapter 24?
(a) Hilly Holbrook found out she works for Celia Foote.
(b) Celia is angry with her again.
(c) Mr. Johnny is unhappy with her work.
(d) Leroy showed up at the Foote house and caused trouble.
8. What dish is Skeeter left to prepare on New Year's Day?
(a) Pinto beans.
(b) A turkey feast.
(c) A ham.
(d) Black eyed peas.
9. Why does Stuart take back the marriage proposal he makes to Skeeter in chapter 28?
(a) He has decided he does not like her sense of style.
(b) He has just learned her mother is dying.
(c) He claims he does not know her after she tells him about her book.
(d) Hilly tells him about Skeeter's possession of the Jim Crow laws.
10. Who calls Minny at home in the beginning of chapter 26 to speak about Celia Foote?
(a) Hilly Holbrook.
(b) Skeeter Phelan.
(d) Johnny Foote.
11. With whom does Skeeter plan to share the advance money and subsequent royalty payments with?
(a) Aibileen and Minny.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Just Aibileen.
(d) All the maids who helped write the book.
12. What war does Skeeter see a news report about on the television in chapter 19?
(a) War on drugs.
(b) World War II.
(c) Vietnam War.
(d) Korean War.
13. What tree does Celia Foote keep threatening to cut down in her yard?
(a) The pecan tree.
(b) The mimosa tree.
(c) The magnolia tree.
(d) The peach tree.
14. How does Celia know in chapter 17 that Minny knows how to play bridge?
(a) Minny told Johnny Foote she knew how.
(b) They played the game once when Minny first came to work for her.
(c) She told her.
(d) Mrs. Walters told her they used to play together.
15. Why did Constantine give her daughter to an orphanage in Chicago when she was just a little girl?
(a) Constantine was hiding her from her biological father.
(b) She was ill and Constantine no longer wanted her.
(c) Her skin was too white for her to go unnoticed in the south.
(d) Constantine was single and could not care for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed between chapter 28 and chapter 29?
2. What new gadget has Celia Foote bought that Minny is impressed by in chapter 30?
3. What name has Minny chosen as her secret identity in Skeeter's book?
4. What instrument does Celia Foote use to protect Minny from a crazy, naked man in chapter 24?
5. What does Celia call Minny at the end of chapter 17 that makes Minny annoyed with Celia?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)