|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Seventeen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
2. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) Skeeter Phelan's book.
(b) The March on Washington.
(c) Medgar Evers' murder.
(d) Racial tensions in Jackson.
3. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
(a) Since elementary school.
(b) Since infancy.
(c) Since high school.
(d) Since college.
4. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
5. Who is Mrs. Stein?
(a) A neighbor to Longleaf.
(b) An editor for Harper & Row.
(c) A maid working in Jackson.
(d) A friend of Skeeter's mother.
6. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
(a) She does not want him to know she is afraid to be alone.
(b) She is afraid he will not like having a black maid in the house.
(c) She wants him to think she can care for him and the house herself.
(d) She is afriad he will not like the money she is spending on the maid.
7. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother, Carlton.
8. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
(a) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(c) Frederick Douglass, an American Slave.
(d) The Biography of Martin Luther King Jr.
9. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
(a) Her car keys.
(b) Her satchel.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her coat.
10. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
(a) A new job.
11. Who does Hilly Holbrook set up a date for Skeeter with in chapter 5?
(a) William Holbrook.
(b) Stuart Whitworth.
(c) Stuart Townsend.
(d) Johnny Foote.
12. Why does Hilly claim that blacks and white should never attend the same school together in chapter 14?
(a) The risk of the transmission of disease.
(b) They are too different.
(c) Blacks are not smart enough to keep up with whites.
(d) The blacks would harm the whites.
13. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
(a) She does not offer to pay enough.
(b) She is too odd.
(c) The house is too large and it is too much work.
(d) She refuses to tell her husband about hiring a maid.
14. What is the one thing Aibileen admits that she admires about Hilly Holbrook in chapter 14?
(a) Her love for her children.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Her love for her husband.
15. What political office is Hilly's husband running for as she announces in chapter 12?
(d) State senate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
2. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
3. Where does Hilly Holbrook invite Mrs. Leefolt and Mae Mobley to go in chapter 15?
4. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
5. Who does Skeeter ask for advice in regards to her new job in chapter 6?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)