|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
(a) The book will never be published.
(b) All names and professions will not be changed.
(c) The book will never be sold in Jackson.
(d) All names and locations will be changed.
2. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
3. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
(a) Cleaned out Treelore's apartment.
(b) Mowed her yard free of charge.
(c) Made repairs around the house.
(d) Did some grocery shopping for her.
4. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Multiple sclerosis.
(b) Stomach ulcers.
(d) Cystic fibrosis.
5. Who does Aibileen recommend Minny to, lying about Elizabeth Leefolt recommending her as a good maid?
(a) Celia Foote.
(b) Lou Anne Templeton.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Skeeter Phelan.
6. What are Yule May, Hilly Holbrook's maid, and her husband saving up for as she tells Aibileen in chapter 16?
(a) A down payment on a new house.
(b) A down payment on a new car.
(c) Tuition for their twin sons to go to college.
(d) Tuition for their daughter to go to college.
7. What kind of party does Mrs. Leefolt have in the first chapter of the book?
(a) Tupperware party.
(b) Bridge party.
(c) Birthday party.
(d) Cocktail party.
8. Who is Mrs. Stein?
(a) An editor for Harper & Row.
(b) A maid working in Jackson.
(c) A neighbor to Longleaf.
(d) A friend of Skeeter's mother.
9. What is Skeeter's christian name?
10. What does Skeeter's mother nag her about in chapter 5?
(a) Getting a home of her own.
(b) Getting a haircut.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Getting a job.
11. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
(a) She does not offer to pay enough.
(b) She refuses to tell her husband about hiring a maid.
(c) The house is too large and it is too much work.
(d) She is too odd.
12. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
(a) Her brother, Carlton.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
13. With whom does Skeeter have a date in chapter 9?
(a) Stuart Whitworth.
(b) Johnny Foote.
(c) William Holbrook.
(d) Stuart Farnsworth.
14. Where does Hilly Holbrook invite Mrs. Leefolt and Mae Mobley to go in chapter 15?
(a) Broadmoore pool.
(b) Robert E. Lee hotel.
(c) Blackshire Club.
(d) Jackson Country Club.
15. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) Racial tensions in Jackson.
(b) Medgar Evers' murder.
(c) The March on Washington.
(d) Skeeter Phelan's book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college did Skeeter graduate from?
2. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
3. What does Hilly give to Aibileen after a bridge party in chapter 12?
4. On what day is Celia supposed to tell her husband that she has hired Minny as their maid?
5. What is the one thing Aibileen admits that she admires about Hilly Holbrook in chapter 14?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)