|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Skeeter ask Aibileen about at the end of chapter 1?
(a) Louvenia, Lou Anne's maid.
(b) Minny, Mrs. Walters' maid.
(c) Treelore, Aibileen's son.
(d) Constantine, her family's former maid.
2. Who did Celia's husband date before he married Celia?
(a) Skeeter Phelan.
(b) Lou Anne Templeton.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Elizabeth Leefolt.
3. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
(a) A new job.
4. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
(a) It is too small.
(b) It is the same bathroom the black maid, Aibileen, uses.
(c) It is the same bathroom the yard man uses.
(d) It is dirty.
5. Who shows up at Skeeter's door and surprises her in chapter 13?
(a) Stuart Whitworth.
(b) Stuart Farnsworth.
(c) William Holbrook.
(d) Johnny Foote.
6. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
(a) She is afraid he will not like having a black maid in the house.
(b) She wants him to think she can care for him and the house herself.
(c) She is afriad he will not like the money she is spending on the maid.
(d) She does not want him to know she is afraid to be alone.
7. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
(a) She was a teacher.
(b) She was a house slave.
(c) She was a wet nurse.
(d) She was a maid.
8. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
(a) Elizabeth Leefolt.
(b) Constantine, their former maid.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Carlton, Skeeter's brother.
9. Why does Hilly claim that blacks and white should never attend the same school together in chapter 14?
(a) They are too different.
(b) The blacks would harm the whites.
(c) Blacks are not smart enough to keep up with whites.
(d) The risk of the transmission of disease.
10. What milestone has Mae Mobley entered in chapter 7?
(a) The beginning of preschool.
(b) She just began to walk.
(c) Potty training time.
(d) She just began to talk.
11. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
(a) Editor for Harper & Row.
(b) Editor for a New York magazine.
(c) Copywriter for Harper & Row.
(d) Copywriter for a New York magazine.
12. What point of view is used in this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Third person.
13. What college did Skeeter graduate from?
(a) University of Texas at Austin.
(c) Ole Miss.
14. What news does Elizabeth Leefolt announce to Skeeter and Hilly in chapter 12?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is firing Aibileen.
(c) She is divorcing Raleigh.
(d) She is giving Mae Mobley up for adoption.
15. What deadline is Skeeter originally given for her book in chapter 12?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
2. What ailment does Mae Mobley suffer when Aibileen first begins to care for her?
3. Who is Mrs. Stein?
4. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
5. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)