|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in chapter 16, approaches Aibileen at a Community Concerns Meeting at her church about Skeeter's book?
(c) Yule May.
2. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother, Carlton.
(d) Her father.
3. How old was Treelore when he died?
4. Who does Skeeter ask Aibileen about at the end of chapter 1?
(a) Minny, Mrs. Walters' maid.
(b) Constantine, her family's former maid.
(c) Treelore, Aibileen's son.
(d) Louvenia, Lou Anne's maid.
5. What is Skeeter's christian name?
6. Who is Pascagoula?
(a) The Footes' maid.
(b) The Phelans' maid.
(c) The Leefolts' maid.
(d) The Holbrooks' maid.
7. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
(a) Editor for a New York magazine.
(b) Copywriter for Harper & Row.
(c) Editor for Harper & Row.
(d) Copywriter for a New York magazine.
8. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
9. What milestone has Mae Mobley entered in chapter 7?
(a) She just began to walk.
(b) The beginning of preschool.
(c) Potty training time.
(d) She just began to talk.
10. What does Aibileen tell Skeeter in chapter 11 her grandmother did for a living?
(a) She was a maid.
(b) She was a wet nurse.
(c) She was a teacher.
(d) She was a house slave.
11. Why does Hilly claim that blacks and white should never attend the same school together in chapter 14?
(a) The blacks would harm the whites.
(b) Blacks are not smart enough to keep up with whites.
(c) They are too different.
(d) The risk of the transmission of disease.
12. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
(a) She is too odd.
(b) She refuses to tell her husband about hiring a maid.
(c) The house is too large and it is too much work.
(d) She does not offer to pay enough.
13. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Multiple sclerosis.
(b) Stomach ulcers.
(d) Cystic fibrosis.
14. Who did Celia's husband date before he married Celia?
(a) Elizabeth Leefolt.
(b) Lou Anne Templeton.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Skeeter Phelan.
15. What are Yule May, Hilly Holbrook's maid, and her husband saving up for as she tells Aibileen in chapter 16?
(a) Tuition for their twin sons to go to college.
(b) A down payment on a new house.
(c) A down payment on a new car.
(d) Tuition for their daughter to go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
2. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
3. Who is Patricia van Devender?
4. What does Hilly give to Aibileen after a bridge party in chapter 12?
5. In chapter 15, who accuses Aibileen of not teaching Mae Mobley manners?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)