|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley about using Aibileen's toilet in chapter 7?
(a) She will spoil Aibileen's privacy.
(b) She will get some terrible disease.
(c) She will fall into the comode.
(d) She will get injured walking to the carport.
2. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
(a) The book will never be published.
(b) All names and professions will not be changed.
(c) The book will never be sold in Jackson.
(d) All names and locations will be changed.
3. Why does Minny tell Aibileen she needs to find a new job in chapter 2?
(a) Hilly wants to put Mrs. Walters in a nursing home.
(b) Hilly wants Minny to come to work for her so she told lies to Mrs. Walters about Minny.
(c) Hilly fired Minny for stealing.
(d) Hilly fired Minny for not feeding her mother.
4. What item in the living room of the Foote residence frightens Minny?
(a) A Confederate pistol.
(b) A blood colored stain on the shag carpet.
(c) A Confederate flag.
(d) A full size, stuffed grizzly bear.
5. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) The March on Washington.
(b) Medgar Evers' murder.
(c) Skeeter Phelan's book.
(d) Racial tensions in Jackson.
6. What milestone has Mae Mobley entered in chapter 7?
(a) The beginning of preschool.
(b) Potty training time.
(c) She just began to walk.
(d) She just began to talk.
7. Who does Aibileen recommend Minny to, lying about Elizabeth Leefolt recommending her as a good maid?
(a) Hilly Holbrook.
(b) Celia Foote.
(c) Skeeter Phelan.
(d) Lou Anne Templeton.
8. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
9. Who is Mrs. Stein?
(a) A friend of Skeeter's mother.
(b) A neighbor to Longleaf.
(c) A maid working in Jackson.
(d) An editor for Harper & Row.
10. Who is Patricia van Devender?
(a) Stuart Farnsworth's sister.
(b) Johnny Foote's mother-in-law.
(c) William Holbrook's cousin.
(d) Stuart Whitworth's former fiancee.
11. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
(c) A new job.
12. What threat did Hilly make against Skeeter early in the novel that causes her angst in chapter 5?
(a) To throw her out of the bridge game if she does not stop cheating.
(b) To tell her mother she refuses to follow instructions in editing the League newsletter.
(c) To kick her out of the Junior League if she does not publish the bathroom initiative.
(d) To cancel the date she has planned with Stuart Whitworth.
13. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
(a) She told him it would make his asthma worse.
(b) She told him it would give him ulcers.
(c) She told him it would make him turn colored.
(d) She told him it would stunt his growth.
14. Who shows up at Skeeter's door and surprises her in chapter 13?
(a) Johnny Foote.
(b) Stuart Whitworth.
(c) William Holbrook.
(d) Stuart Farnsworth.
15. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
(a) Since college.
(b) Since infancy.
(c) Since elementary school.
(d) Since high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skeeter's mother nag her about in chapter 5?
2. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
3. Why have nearly half a dozen maids refused to work for Celia Foote, as revealed in chapter 3?
4. For what act does Mrs. Leefolt punish Mae Mobley in chapter 2 that makes Aibileen feel outrage for the child?
5. Who is Pascagoula?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)