|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
(a) The Biography of Martin Luther King Jr.
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(d) Frederick Douglass, an American Slave.
2. What one housekeeping skill is Celia Foote very bad at, as revealed in chapter 3?
(d) Polishing silver.
3. What threat did Hilly make against Skeeter early in the novel that causes her angst in chapter 5?
(a) To throw her out of the bridge game if she does not stop cheating.
(b) To kick her out of the Junior League if she does not publish the bathroom initiative.
(c) To tell her mother she refuses to follow instructions in editing the League newsletter.
(d) To cancel the date she has planned with Stuart Whitworth.
4. Why does one of Aibileen's grown white children tell her he still does not drink coffee in chapter 7?
(a) She told him it would give him ulcers.
(b) She told him it would make his asthma worse.
(c) She told him it would make him turn colored.
(d) She told him it would stunt his growth.
5. What does Aibileen write in a small blue notepad?
(a) Her thoughts and emotions.
(b) Her grocery lists.
(c) Her prayers.
(d) Her fictional stories.
6. How long have Hilly, Skeeter, and Elizabeth been friends?
(a) Since high school.
(b) Since elementary school.
(c) Since college.
(d) Since infancy.
7. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
(a) She wants him to think she can care for him and the house herself.
(b) She is afraid he will not like having a black maid in the house.
(c) She is afriad he will not like the money she is spending on the maid.
(d) She does not want him to know she is afraid to be alone.
8. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Seventeen years.
9. What did Robert Brown do for Aibileen in the aftermath of Treelore's death?
(a) Made repairs around the house.
(b) Cleaned out Treelore's apartment.
(c) Mowed her yard free of charge.
(d) Did some grocery shopping for her.
10. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
(a) A large canvas backpack.
(b) A green army knapsack.
(c) A red satchel that her grandmother once used for her gardening tools.
(d) A black attache case with a broken latch.
11. Who gave Skeeter her nickname?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother, Carlton.
12. Who has Skeeter pinpointed as her first interviewee for her book in chapter 8?
13. Why does Minny tell Aibileen she needs to find a new job in chapter 2?
(a) Hilly wants to put Mrs. Walters in a nursing home.
(b) Hilly fired Minny for not feeding her mother.
(c) Hilly fired Minny for stealing.
(d) Hilly wants Minny to come to work for her so she told lies to Mrs. Walters about Minny.
14. Who shows up at Skeeter's door and surprises her in chapter 13?
(a) Stuart Whitworth.
(b) Johnny Foote.
(c) Stuart Farnsworth.
(d) William Holbrook.
15. With whom does Skeeter have a date in chapter 9?
(a) Stuart Farnsworth.
(b) Johnny Foote.
(c) William Holbrook.
(d) Stuart Whitworth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
2. What milestone has Mae Mobley entered in chapter 7?
3. For what act does Mrs. Leefolt punish Mae Mobley in chapter 2 that makes Aibileen feel outrage for the child?
4. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
5. What is Hotstack?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)