|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Skeeter's christian name?
2. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
(a) Hilly Holbrook.
(b) Skeeter and her family.
(c) Mrs. Leefolt.
(d) Celia Foote.
3. Who visits the Phelans in chapter 9?
(a) Constantine, their former maid.
(b) Elizabeth Leefolt.
(c) Hilly Holbrook.
(d) Carlton, Skeeter's brother.
4. Who does Aibileen recommend Minny to, lying about Elizabeth Leefolt recommending her as a good maid?
(a) Lou Anne Templeton.
(b) Skeeter Phelan.
(c) Celia Foote.
(d) Hilly Holbrook.
5. What is the Shinalator?
(a) A silver polishing machine.
(b) A hair conditioner.
(c) A hair dryer.
(d) A floor polishing machine.
6. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Stomach ulcers.
(c) Cystic fibrosis.
(d) Multiple sclerosis.
7. What one housekeeping skill is Celia Foote very bad at, as revealed in chapter 3?
(d) Polishing silver.
8. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
(a) All names and professions will not be changed.
(b) The book will never be published.
(c) All names and locations will be changed.
(d) The book will never be sold in Jackson.
9. Who shows up at Skeeter's door and surprises her in chapter 13?
(a) Stuart Farnsworth.
(b) Johnny Foote.
(c) William Holbrook.
(d) Stuart Whitworth.
10. What is Hotstack?
(a) A type of dish in Mississippi.
(b) A new magazine in Mississippi.
(c) A black community near Longleaf.
(d) A store in Jackson.
11. What point of view is used in this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Second person.
12. Why does Hilly claim that blacks and white should never attend the same school together in chapter 14?
(a) The risk of the transmission of disease.
(b) They are too different.
(c) The blacks would harm the whites.
(d) Blacks are not smart enough to keep up with whites.
13. What does Aibileen tell Minny in chapter 2 that Hilly Hobrook accused her of?
(a) Not feeding Mrs. Walters.
(b) Stealing silver.
(c) Not cleaning properly.
(d) Stealing jewelry.
14. Where does Skeeter get a job in chapter 6?
(a) The Junior League newsletter.
(b) Reader's Digest.
(c) The Jackson Daily News.
(d) The Jackson Journal.
15. Who does Skeeter ask for advice in regards to her new job in chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Skeeter mail the chapter with Aibileen's story to in chapter 12?
2. Who has Skeeter pinpointed as her first interviewee for her book in chapter 8?
3. What is Skeeter doing when she runs into Hilly Holbrook and Elizabeth Leefolt in chapter 15?
4. What item in the living room of the Foote residence frightens Minny?
5. What ailment does Mae Mobley suffer when Aibileen first begins to care for her?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)