|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What general shares a name with a popular hotel and restaurant in this book?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Stonewall Jackson.
(c) George Patton.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
2. What ailment does Mae Mobley suffer when Aibileen first begins to care for her?
(b) Chicken pox.
3. What does Skeeter's mother nag her about in chapter 5?
(a) Getting a home of her own.
(b) Getting a haircut.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Getting a job.
4. How many interviews with maids does the editor suggest Skeeter include in her book?
(a) Twenty or more.
(b) Twelve or more.
(c) Five or six.
(d) Thirty or less.
5. What book idea has Skeeter proposed to Mrs. Stein in chapter 8?
(a) Interviews with white housewives about their black maids.
(b) Interviews with black maids about their white employers.
(c) Interviews with southern women about their families.
(d) Interviews with black maids about their families.
6. What college did Skeeter graduate from?
(a) University of Texas at Austin.
(d) Ole Miss.
7. What milestone has Mae Mobley entered in chapter 7?
(a) She just began to talk.
(b) Potty training time.
(c) She just began to walk.
(d) The beginning of preschool.
8. Who does Skeeter mail the chapter with Aibileen's story to in chapter 12?
(a) Mrs. Stein.
(b) Carlton, her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) An editor at Harper's Bizarre.
9. What threat did Hilly make against Skeeter early in the novel that causes her angst in chapter 5?
(a) To throw her out of the bridge game if she does not stop cheating.
(b) To kick her out of the Junior League if she does not publish the bathroom initiative.
(c) To cancel the date she has planned with Stuart Whitworth.
(d) To tell her mother she refuses to follow instructions in editing the League newsletter.
10. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Her car keys.
(c) Her satchel.
(d) Her coat.
11. What is Skeeter's christian name?
12. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
(a) It is the same bathroom the yard man uses.
(b) It is the same bathroom the black maid, Aibileen, uses.
(c) It is too small.
(d) It is dirty.
13. What does Mrs. Leefolt tell Mae Mobley about using Aibileen's toilet in chapter 7?
(a) She will get injured walking to the carport.
(b) She will get some terrible disease.
(c) She will spoil Aibileen's privacy.
(d) She will fall into the comode.
14. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) Racial tensions in Jackson.
(b) The March on Washington.
(c) Medgar Evers' murder.
(d) Skeeter Phelan's book.
15. Who lives on Longleaf Plantation?
(a) Skeeter and her family.
(b) Hilly Holbrook.
(c) Mrs. Leefolt.
(d) Celia Foote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
2. Who did Celia's husband date before he married Celia?
3. Who does Aibileen recommend Minny to, lying about Elizabeth Leefolt recommending her as a good maid?
4. What news does Elizabeth Leefolt announce to Skeeter and Hilly in chapter 12?
5. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)