|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
(a) It is the same bathroom the black maid, Aibileen, uses.
(b) It is too small.
(c) It is the same bathroom the yard man uses.
(d) It is dirty.
2. What ailment does Mae Mobley suffer when Aibileen first begins to care for her?
(b) Chicken pox.
3. How many interviews with maids does the editor suggest Skeeter include in her book?
(a) Thirty or less.
(b) Five or six.
(c) Twenty or more.
(d) Twelve or more.
4. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
(a) She wants him to think she can care for him and the house herself.
(b) She does not want him to know she is afraid to be alone.
(c) She is afriad he will not like the money she is spending on the maid.
(d) She is afraid he will not like having a black maid in the house.
5. What does Aibileen write in a small blue notepad?
(a) Her prayers.
(b) Her thoughts and emotions.
(c) Her grocery lists.
(d) Her fictional stories.
6. What item in the living room of the Foote residence frightens Minny?
(a) A blood colored stain on the shag carpet.
(b) A Confederate flag.
(c) A Confederate pistol.
(d) A full size, stuffed grizzly bear.
7. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
(a) A green army knapsack.
(b) A black attache case with a broken latch.
(c) A red satchel that her grandmother once used for her gardening tools.
(d) A large canvas backpack.
8. What does Aibileen tell Minny in chapter 2 that Hilly Hobrook accused her of?
(a) Stealing jewelry.
(b) Not cleaning properly.
(c) Not feeding Mrs. Walters.
(d) Stealing silver.
9. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
(a) She's too inexperienced.
(b) She's too skinny.
(c) She's too busy.
(d) She's too skittish.
10. What does Skeeter try to give Aibileen at Elizabeth Leefolt's house that Aibileen refuses to take in chapter 8?
(a) A new job.
11. What does Aibileen reveal in chapter 12 about the kitchen in the governor's mansion?
(a) It has a separate refrigerator for the black workers' food.
(b) It has a separate set of dishes for the black workers.
(c) It has a separate eating area for the domestic help.
(d) It has a separate bathroom for the domestic help.
12. What is Skeeter doing when she runs into Hilly Holbrook and Elizabeth Leefolt in chapter 15?
(a) Playing tennis.
(d) Playing golf.
13. What is the main topic of conversation at a Community Concerns meeting at Aibileen's church in chapter 16?
(a) Skeeter Phelan's book.
(b) Medgar Evers' murder.
(c) The March on Washington.
(d) Racial tensions in Jackson.
14. What one housekeeping skill is Celia Foote very bad at, as revealed in chapter 3?
(d) Polishing silver.
15. What does Skeeter admit caused her some disappointment at first in chapter 12?
(a) That Aibileen is doing the writing.
(b) That Aibileen is unwilling to do any of the writing.
(c) That Aibileen is unwilling to help.
(d) That Aibileen is unwilling to get other maids to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Minny tell Aibileen she needs to find a new job in chapter 2?
2. What political office is Hilly's husband running for as she announces in chapter 12?
3. What gesture would Constantine use to let Skeeter knew she wanted her to pay close attention to her?
4. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
5. What news does Elizabeth Leefolt announce to Skeeter and Hilly in chapter 12?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)