|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day is Celia supposed to tell her husband that she has hired Minny as their maid?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Christmas Eve.
2. What item does Skeeter accidentally leave at behind in chapter 13 when she rushes out of the League meeting?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Her car keys.
(c) Her coat.
(d) Her satchel.
3. Why does Hilly express distaste at using Mrs. Leefolt's guest bathroom in chapter 1?
(a) It is too small.
(b) It is dirty.
(c) It is the same bathroom the black maid, Aibileen, uses.
(d) It is the same bathroom the yard man uses.
4. What job did Skeeter apply before in her final days at college?
(a) Editor for Harper & Row.
(b) Copywriter for Harper & Row.
(c) Copywriter for a New York magazine.
(d) Editor for a New York magazine.
5. What item does Skeeter take to carrying around in chapter 11?
(a) A large canvas backpack.
(b) A black attache case with a broken latch.
(c) A red satchel that her grandmother once used for her gardening tools.
(d) A green army knapsack.
6. How much younger than Aibileen is Minny Jackson?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
7. What are Yule May, Hilly Holbrook's maid, and her husband saving up for as she tells Aibileen in chapter 16?
(a) Tuition for their daughter to go to college.
(b) A down payment on a new car.
(c) A down payment on a new house.
(d) Tuition for their twin sons to go to college.
8. Where does Hilly Holbrook invite Mrs. Leefolt and Mae Mobley to go in chapter 15?
(a) Blackshire Club.
(b) Robert E. Lee hotel.
(c) Jackson Country Club.
(d) Broadmoore pool.
9. What does Aibileen promise all the women she approaches about helping with Skeeter's book will be done to protect their identities?
(a) The book will never be sold in Jackson.
(b) All names and professions will not be changed.
(c) The book will never be published.
(d) All names and locations will be changed.
10. How many babies does Aibileen tell the reader she has cared for in her career?
11. What is Skeeter's christian name?
12. What chronic condition does Skeeter's mother suffer from at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Cystic fibrosis.
(b) Stomach ulcers.
(d) Multiple sclerosis.
13. Why does Aibileen say in chapter 1 that Miss Leefolt cannot soothe her own baby?
(a) She's too inexperienced.
(b) She's too skinny.
(c) She's too busy.
(d) She's too skittish.
14. What is Skeeter doing when she runs into Hilly Holbrook and Elizabeth Leefolt in chapter 15?
(a) Playing golf.
(b) Playing tennis.
15. Who is Pascagoula?
(a) The Holbrooks' maid.
(b) The Phelans' maid.
(c) The Footes' maid.
(d) The Leefolts' maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gesture would Constantine use to let Skeeter knew she wanted her to pay close attention to her?
2. What threat did Hilly make against Skeeter early in the novel that causes her angst in chapter 5?
3. What book does Skeeter steal from the white library in chapter 13 because it has been damaged and defamed?
4. What does Hilly give to Aibileen after a bridge party in chapter 12?
5. Why does Celia Foote refuse to tell her husband she has hired a maid in chapter 3?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)