|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Yun's daughter when Yun was imprisoned again?
2. How did Yun react to a recording played during his trial?
3. What was the condition of Yun's release?
4. What did Yun say was common for Western Christians to give in an offering for missionaries?
5. What verse was cited in that day's devotional?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Yun's relationship to the woman who ran the tiny store in the prison?
2. Explain the miraculous circumstances of Yun's escape from prison in Chapter Twenty-Two.
3. In Chapter Eighteen, how did Yun and Chaun become "unofficial pastors" of the prison?
4. While Yun was in prison, his wife and mother worked their family fields. What did they do, and what was the result?
5. In Chapter Sixteen, what were the conditions of Yun's release?
6. What did Yun say was the difference between the Western church and the Chinese church as far as sermon content?
7. In Chapter Fifteen, Yun met Father Yu at the prison camp. Who was he and what did he do upon his own release?
8. How did Brother Xu attempt to help Yun?
9. In Chapter Fourteen, Yun went to trial. How was his devotional book, "Streams in the Desert" used to help him stay faithful to his fellow Christians on the outside?
10. When the prison camp officials ordered the prisoners to write a plan for their lives, how was Yun encouraged to renew his walk with God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the basics rights in America is the freedom to worship in any religion we choose. Discuss how it struck you when you first read about the atrocities committed against Christians by the Chinese government. Did it seem fair? Do you think fear was an effective motivator against the spread of Christianity? Why did it work on some people and not on others? Cite examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Two, Yun wrote that God intervened in his life by healing his father. This is the first of many miraculous healings we read about in this book.
Part 1) Recount from the book at least three different times that Yun attributed a miraculous healing to God. Name the person healed and the circumstances.
Part 2) Did Yun view the healing as a means to an end? What would that end be?
Part 3) Did Yun downplay healings or exalt them? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Twenty-Three, Yun escaped from prison. What was his life like on the run? Provide some specific examples from the book showing how Yun believed God miraculously intervened in his life to protect him and get him out of China.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)