|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yun's mother decided to pray, to whom did she pray?
2. The murderer accepted Christ, and wrote a letter to his parents. What did he do when he ran out of ink?
3. While Yun was in prison, Deling gave birth to a son. Who named Yun's son?
4. Yun fasted for how long?
5. Where did Sister Zhi's husband work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Deling described her own childhood, including her own healing. What did she say God had done in her life?
2. What was the reaction of the man in Yun's vision when he learned that Yun would come to his village and teach?
3. Why were there no Bibles for Yun to read?
4. What news did Deling bring to Yun when she visited him? What were her friends urging her to do?
5. In 1983, many church leaders were arrested in what Yun called a "crime wave." How was Yun persecuted and humiliated following his arrest in Shangnan County?
6. How did Yun believe God protected him when he was found after sleeping in a cornfield?
7. How did Deling's mother come to choose Yun as a husband for her daughter? What was she looking for?
8. Did Yun's constant beatings and sufferings in prison make his faith in God waver?
9. In Chapter Eleven, both Deling and Yun's mother had the same vision on the same night. What was it?
10. How did Yun eventually come to own a Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one of his later imprisonments, Yun was ordered (along with the other prisoners) by prison officials to worship Buddha. Why would Buddhism be sanctioned by the Chinese government, and Christianity forbidden? Are there things about Christianity that are threatening to any government? Explain your view.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Deling's life while Yun was in prison. What was life like for her? Did she experience hardship? Cite three examples from the book of times when Deling experienced persecution of her own, and how she dealt with it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the pros and cons of the influx of Christian aid from the West. What was beneficial about it? What about it was detrimental to the Chinese church? Do you think that the church was better off without it? Provide examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)