|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yun was arrested in 1981, the car taking him to jail had a flat tire. What happened after that?
2. While Yun was in prison, Deling gave birth to a son. Who named Yun's son?
3. What was the name of the man in the cell with Yun in Chapter Ten?
4. When Yun's mother decided to pray, to whom did she pray?
5. When Yun understood God's purpose, what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Deling's mother come to choose Yun as a husband for her daughter? What was she looking for?
2. Once in jail, the authorities bound Yun and left him in a room while they tried to determine his identity. How did Yun escape?
3. In Chapter Ten, a man named Li was put in Yun's cell with him. How did he become a Christian?
4. In Chapter Eight, what did he mean when Yun yelled to his followers that he wasn't "a Judas"?
5. In Chapter Seven, Yun experienced a reaction from the Christians in Hubei Province that was different than what he was used to. Explain what happened there.
6. Why did Yun fear the government's Three-Self Church?
7. On the eve of his execution, Huang wrote a letter to his parents. What did it say, and how did he write it?
8. How did Deling show her faithfulness to Yun when she was encouraged by some to divorce him?
9. What news did Deling bring to Yun when she visited him? What were her friends urging her to do?
10. What was the reaction of the man in Yun's vision when he learned that Yun would come to his village and teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Deling's life while Yun was in prison. What was life like for her? Did she experience hardship? Cite three examples from the book of times when Deling experienced persecution of her own, and how she dealt with it.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Twenty-Three, Yun escaped from prison. What was his life like on the run? Provide some specific examples from the book showing how Yun believed God miraculously intervened in his life to protect him and get him out of China.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Two, Yun wrote that God intervened in his life by healing his father. This is the first of many miraculous healings we read about in this book.
Part 1) Recount from the book at least three different times that Yun attributed a miraculous healing to God. Name the person healed and the circumstances.
Part 2) Did Yun view the healing as a means to an end? What would that end be?
Part 3) Did Yun downplay healings or exalt them? Why?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)