|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Yun told to do when he told of his desire to own a Bible?
2. When Yun received a vision to teach, where did God instruct him to go?
3. Who became the accepted spiritual leader of this group of new believers?
4. Yun described a time in 1983 during which many church leaders are arrested as what?
5. How did the guards responsible for beating Yun react to his hospitalization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Deling bring to Yun when she visited him? What were her friends urging her to do?
2. Did Yun's constant beatings and sufferings in prison make his faith in God waver?
3. How did Yun eventually come to own a Bible?
4. Who was it that eventually intervened for Yun in prison to make his life more bearable? What was his connection to the Christians?
5. Why were there no Bibles for Yun to read?
6. Why did Yun fear the government's Three-Self Church?
7. In Chapter Twelve, the authorities severely beat Yun. Were the Chinese officials succeeding in squelching the spread of the Gospel? What happened in the prison?
8. What happened when Yun and Deling went to apply for a marriage license?
9. How did Deling's mother come to choose Yun as a husband for her daughter? What was she looking for?
10. What was the reaction of the man in Yun's vision when he learned that Yun would come to his village and teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Chinese Government's Three-Self Church. What were the "Three-Selfs"? Do you think the government has an ulterior motive in setting up this "church"? How did Brother Yun feel about it and what was his reaction to it? Did other Christians see it that way? Did other Christians join? Provide examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Because Yun spent so much time is prison, his family suffered as well. Discuss in an essay how prison effected:
1) His marriage
2) His children
3) His family's reputation.
Cite examples from the book to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Christians are admonished in Romans 13:1 to submit to the governing authorities because God instituted all authorities that exist. How then, do you think Yun could justify his behavior against the government? Cite three examples from the book which explain times when Yun directly defied his government. Is it right to break man's law (the laws of a government)?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)