|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Yun's mother and Deling's visions about in Chapter Eleven?
2. What was the name of the government controlled church?
3. What caused Yun's family to become destitute and beg for food?
4. How did Yun speak of God's miracles in his life?
5. In Chapter Twelve, Yun was beaten again, but preached to other prisoners afterward. What was the outcome?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Seven, Yun experienced a reaction from the Christians in Hubei Province that was different than what he was used to. Explain what happened there.
2. Who was it that eventually intervened for Yun in prison to make his life more bearable? What was his connection to the Christians?
3. In Chapter 1, how did the illness and recovery of Yun's father affect Yun's life and the lives of his family and friends?
4. How were the traditions of choosing a marriage partner different in the Chinese culture than in Western cultures?
5. Why were there no Bibles for Yun to read?
6. In Chapter Eleven, both Deling and Yun's mother had the same vision on the same night. What was it?
7. Why was Yun's first preaching experience so unusual?
8. In Chapter 2, Deling described her own childhood, including her own healing. What did she say God had done in her life?
9. In 1983, many church leaders were arrested in what Yun called a "crime wave." How was Yun persecuted and humiliated following his arrest in Shangnan County?
10. In Chapter Eight, what did he mean when Yun yelled to his followers that he wasn't "a Judas"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What about Christianity do you think was such a threat to China (and other nations)? Did the violence towards Christians seem to be in balance for the "crimes" committed? Where do you think this intolerance toward Christianity comes from?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Deling's life while Yun was in prison. What was life like for her? Did she experience hardship? Cite three examples from the book of times when Deling experienced persecution of her own, and how she dealt with it.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Yun's faith with Deling's faith. Did they struggle to trust God together? Why or why not? Cite at least three examples in the book to support your position.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)