|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David know his father would approach magical things?
2. Why does Amanda think the poltergeist has returned?
3. Which of the following do NOT have to be collected by neophytes?
4. How does David feel before the initiation?
5. What does Amanda ban the children from while she prepares for the initiation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Amanda angry during the initiation?
2. What does Amanda do that bothers Mr. Golanksi?
3. How does David feel when Mr. Golanski comes to the house?
4. How does Molly respond to all the talk about a poltergeist?
5. What does David choose to do after the milk jug is broken?
6. What is the first thing about the Westerly house that interests Amanda?
7. What makes David angry during the initiation?
8. How was Harriett Westerly cleared of blame with then Cupid lost its head?
9. What connection does Mr. Golanski have with the Westerly House?
10. What does the flashlight on the staircase indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Golanski is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)