|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has to be avoided in the first ordeal?
2. What injury does Amanda say her powers once caused?
3. What does Tesser use at dinner on the day of the first ordeal?
4. How many ordeals does Amanda have planned?
5. Why does Molly not notice all the strange things happening during dinner during the first ordeal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeff have to go away for a while?
2. What does Blair tell David about Rolor, and what does this indicate?
3. How do each of the children eat their dinner during the first ordeal?
4. What is the first ordeal?
5. What does Blair say about Amanda, and why is this so surprising?
6. How did David come to accept his father's new marriage?
7. What angers David during the first ordeal?
8. What surprises Amanda about the Stanley children during the second ordeal?
9. Why is David seen as so mature for his age?
10. How did Esther get her nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Golanski is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)