|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who usually stops the twins' arguments?
2. Why is Jeff so relieved to go on a trip for work?
3. What does Amanda do when she first gets to the house to show she doesn't want to be there?
4. What does Amanda need David to help with when she gets to the house?
5. What does Amanda ask for breakfast on the morning of the first ordeal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do each of the children eat their dinner during the first ordeal?
2. How is David motivated by his mother with his situation with Amanda?
3. Why is Amanda so upset when she hears there are no cemeteries nearby?
4. What angers David during the first ordeal?
5. Why does Jeff have to go away for a while?
6. How did Esther get her nickname?
7. What caused Jeff to get rid of his strange collection?
8. Who is Amanda's favorite new sibling, and why?
9. What does Jeff ask of David the first morning Amanda is in their home?
10. What does Blair say about Amanda, and why is this so surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Zilpha Keatley Snyder in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)