|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David put his food in on the day of the first ordeal?
2. What does David think will be the biggest challenge in the first ordeal?
3. What is David's new house called?
4. What did David say Amanda rarely did when they met?
5. Why is Jeff so relieved to go on a trip for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amanda realize about the Stanley children when she tests them?
2. What does Janie do while they weed the garden?
3. What caused Jeff to get rid of his strange collection?
4. Why is Amanda so upset when she hears there are no cemeteries nearby?
5. Why does Jeff have to go away for a while?
6. What does Blair say about Amanda, and why is this so surprising?
7. Why does Amanda tell David that she prefers living with her father?
8. What angers David during the first ordeal?
9. How do each of the children eat their dinner during the first ordeal?
10. What does Jeff ask of David the first morning Amanda is in their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Zilpha Keatley Snyder in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)