|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second ordeal?
2. Why does Amanda want the second ordeal kept secret?
3. How does David watch Amanda when she first gets to the house?
4. What does Janie do that upsets Amanda?
5. What caused David to dislike Molly at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is David motivated by his mother with his situation with Amanda?
2. What does Blair say about Amanda, and why is this so surprising?
3. Why does Jeff have to go away for a while?
4. What does Amanda say about her animals?
5. What does Amanda try to always be to keep up her appearance?
6. Why is David so good at helping around the house?
7. What surprises Amanda about the Stanley children during the second ordeal?
8. Why is David seen as so mature for his age?
9. What does Janie do while they weed the garden?
10. What is the first ordeal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Stanleys accomplish their ordeals and what does this indicate about them?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)