|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda tell Esther she studies?
2. How is David related to Amanda?
3. Which animal is Amanda's familiar?
4. Where do David and Amanda have their first lengthy conversation?
5. What does Amanda say that the test results revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after David and Amanda speak in the garage?
2. What is the first ordeal?
3. What surprises Amanda about the Stanley children during the second ordeal?
4. What does Janie do while they weed the garden?
5. How do each of the children eat their dinner during the first ordeal?
6. Why is David so good at helping around the house?
7. What does Amanda realize about the Stanley children when she tests them?
8. Why is Amanda so upset when she hears there are no cemeteries nearby?
9. Why does Jeff have to go away for a while?
10. How is David motivated by his mother with his situation with Amanda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
David performed many acts of service for his family in this book that would not be expected of most children his age. What are some of the most significant examples of this service, and how did these events affects the characters involved in them?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)