|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT an animal Amanda has?
2. What is the second ordeal?
3. How does Amanda ask David for help when she gets to the house?
4. Who argues about the test results?
5. What kind of outfit does Amanda say she is wearing when she gets to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeff have to go away for a while?
2. What does Jeff ask of David the first morning Amanda is in their home?
3. What does Blair say about Amanda, and why is this so surprising?
4. Why is David so good at helping around the house?
5. What caused Jeff to get rid of his strange collection?
6. How did Esther get her nickname?
7. What does Blair tell David about Rolor, and what does this indicate?
8. What angers David during the first ordeal?
9. What does Amanda realize about the Stanley children when she tests them?
10. What does Janie do while they weed the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Golanski is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Zilpha Keatley Snyder in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)