|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of outfit does Amanda say she is wearing when she gets to the house?
2. What does Amanda say the thing on her forehead signifies?
3. What does Janie do that upsets Amanda?
4. What is on Amanda's forehead?
5. How old are the twins at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did David come to accept his father's new marriage?
2. What is the second ordeal?
3. Why is David so good at helping around the house?
4. Why is Amanda so upset when she hears there are no cemeteries nearby?
5. What does Blair say about Amanda, and why is this so surprising?
6. Why is David seen as so mature for his age?
7. What surprises Amanda about the Stanley children during the second ordeal?
8. Why does Amanda tell David that she prefers living with her father?
9. What angers David during the first ordeal?
10. How do each of the children eat their dinner during the first ordeal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Zilpha Keatley Snyder in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)