|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther think of Amanda when they first meet?
2. What is on Amanda's forehead?
3. Where does Amanda hope to find some herbs?
4. Why does David reset an alarm clock before the first ordeal?
5. What does Amanda tell Esther she studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff ask of David the first morning Amanda is in their home?
2. What does Amanda realize about the Stanley children when she tests them?
3. What does Blair say about Amanda, and why is this so surprising?
4. Why is David seen as so mature for his age?
5. Why does Amanda tell David that she prefers living with her father?
6. How is David motivated by his mother with his situation with Amanda?
7. What is the second ordeal?
8. Why does Jeff have to go away for a while?
9. What does Blair tell David about Rolor, and what does this indicate?
10. How did Esther get her nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)