• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give. Balzer + Bray. 2017. Print.
• The novel's story begins when Starr, the 16-year-old protagonist, is at a spring break party at the home of a boy named Big D in her neighborhood of Garden Heights.
• Starr reveals that she never goes to parties in Garden Heights and has lost touch with most everyone in this community besides Kenya.
• Starr is caught between two worlds, Garden Heights where she lives and where her father had been a famous gang member, and the world of Williamson Prep, the private school she has attended for the last six years.
• Starr pulls her hooded sweatshirt over her face to keep out the haze she says smells like marijuana.
• She is at the party with her best friend Kenya, and she runs into an...
This section contains 7,612 words
(approx. 26 pages at 300 words per page)