|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
2. What did Iggy visit for the first time in October 1947?
3. What newspaper did Viktor read in order to follow news about the war?
4. Who is Elisabeth named after?
5. Who died on November 21, 1916?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
2. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
3. How did Vienna change during the war?
4. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
5. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
6. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
7. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
8. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
9. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
10. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)