|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elisabeth named after?
2. Which country promises to support Austria against the Serbs?
3. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
4. What did Jiro's grandfather make his fortune from?
5. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
2. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
3. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
4. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
5. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
6. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
7. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
8. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
9. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
10. How did Vienna change during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)