|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
2. What two countries had Iggy been offered placements in?
3. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
4. Where did Thomas and travel to last time they traveled together?
5. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
2. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
3. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
4. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
5. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
6. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
7. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
8. How did Vienna change during the war?
9. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
10. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)