|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Austrian national anthem?
2. What did the Japanese call the make-up clad girls who used to go with American soldiers?
3. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
4. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
5. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
2. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
3. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
4. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
5. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
6. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
7. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
8. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
9. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
10. How did Anna save the netsuke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 2
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
Essay Topic 3
Which family member in the book does de Waal identify with the most? Why does he identify with that particular family member? How do think they would have gotten along if they had met in real life?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)