|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only color Evelina wears?
2. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
3. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
4. Who is Elisabeth named after?
5. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Iggy like Japan?
2. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
3. How did the First World War start?
4. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
5. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
6. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
7. How did Anna save the netsuke?
8. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
9. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
10. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)