|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Gisela go to during the war?
2. In which city was Viktor born?
3. What is the title of Chapter 31?
4. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
5. Why is it seen as dishonorable when Germany invaded Belgium?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
2. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
3. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
4. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
5. Why did Iggy like Japan?
6. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
7. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
8. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
9. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
10. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
Essay Topic 3
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)