|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
2. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
3. What subject at school does the author say Iggy is not good at?
4. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
5. What subject did Elisabeth teach in England to earn extra money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)