|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 16?
2. What do the parks outside the Votivkirche have stenciled on them?
3. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
4. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
5. What philosopher did Emmy call a bear with the manners of a bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
2. How did Vienna change during the war?
3. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
4. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
5. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
6. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
7. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
8. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
9. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
10. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)