|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
2. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
3. Who was appointed the German Chancellor in 1933?
4. What subject did Elisabeth teach in England to earn extra money?
5. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
2. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
3. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
4. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
5. How did Vienna change during the war?
6. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
7. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
8. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
9. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
10. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 2
What has Western Europe done to stop anti-Semitism since World War Two? Have they been successful?
Essay Topic 3
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)