|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
2. What is the title of Chapter 16?
3. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
4. What philosopher did Emmy call a bear with the manners of a bear?
5. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
2. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
3. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
4. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
5. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
6. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
7. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
8. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
9. How did Anna save the netsuke?
10. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)