|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
2. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
3. What is Pips doing on the pen and ink card?
4. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
5. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
2. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
3. How did the First World War start?
4. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
5. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
6. Why did Iggy like Japan?
7. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
8. How did Vienna change during the war?
9. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
10. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
Essay Topic 3
How was Hitler able to turn the public against the Jews and other minorities in Germany? What was the environment in Germany that allowed him to create such hatred towards the minorities? What has western Europe done to ensure this won't happen again?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)