|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two countries had Iggy been offered placements in?
2. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
3. What did the Japanese call the make-up clad girls who used to go with American soldiers?
4. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
5. What is the title of Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
2. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
3. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
4. Why did Iggy like Japan?
5. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
6. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
7. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
8. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
9. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
10. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Hitler able to turn the public against the Jews and other minorities in Germany? What was the environment in Germany that allowed him to create such hatred towards the minorities? What has western Europe done to ensure this won't happen again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)