|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only color Evelina wears?
2. Who died on November 21, 1916?
3. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
4. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
5. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
2. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
3. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
4. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
5. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
6. Why did Iggy like Japan?
7. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
8. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
9. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
10. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Dreyfus affair.
1. What was the Dreyfus affair?
2. How was de Waal affected by the Dreyfus affair?
3. What was Emile Zola's role in the Dreyfus affair?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How was Hitler able to turn the public against the Jews and other minorities in Germany? What was the environment in Germany that allowed him to create such hatred towards the minorities? What has western Europe done to ensure this won't happen again?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)