|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
2. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
3. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
4. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
5. In which city was Viktor born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
2. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
3. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
4. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
5. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
6. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
7. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
8. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
9. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
10. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the city's de Waal's family lived in and examine how anger towards the Jewish population developed. Why were the originally accepted into the city? Why were the eventually ran out of the city?
Essay Topic 3
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)