|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
2. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
3. Who wrote the novel, "The Radetzky March"?
4. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
5. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
2. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
3. How did the First World War start?
4. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
5. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
6. How did Anna save the netsuke?
7. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
8. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
9. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
10. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)