|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tomokazu excel in making?
2. What is Thomas an expert on?
3. What is the title of Part 4?
4. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
5. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anna save the netsuke?
2. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
3. How did Vienna change during the war?
4. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
5. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
6. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
7. Why did Iggy like Japan?
8. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
9. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
10. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
Essay Topic 2
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
Essay Topic 3
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)