|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nationality of the man who assassinates the Archduke?
2. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
3. Who died on November 21, 1916?
4. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
5. Which of the following objects is placed on a tray to play Kim's Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
2. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
3. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
4. How did Vienna change during the war?
5. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
6. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
7. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
8. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
9. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
10. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Dreyfus affair.
1. What was the Dreyfus affair?
2. How was de Waal affected by the Dreyfus affair?
3. What was Emile Zola's role in the Dreyfus affair?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)