|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
2. Which country promises to support Austria against the Serbs?
3. What is the title of Chapter 20?
4. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
5. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vienna change during the war?
2. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
3. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
4. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
5. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
6. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
7. How did Anna save the netsuke?
8. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
9. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
10. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)