|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
2. What was the name of Iggy's partner?
3. By what name was James Morris later called?
4. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
5. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
2. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
3. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
4. How did Vienna change during the war?
5. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
6. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
7. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
8. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
9. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
10. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
Essay Topic 2
Which family member in the book does de Waal identify with the most? Why does he identify with that particular family member? How do think they would have gotten along if they had met in real life?
Essay Topic 3
What has Western Europe done to stop anti-Semitism since World War Two? Have they been successful?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)