|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
2. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
3. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
4. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
5. What did Jiro's grandfather make his fortune from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
2. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
3. Why did Iggy like Japan?
4. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
5. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
6. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
7. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
8. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
9. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
10. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)