|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following objects is placed on a tray to play Kim's Game?
2. What did Jiro's grandfather make his fortune from?
3. What is the title of Chapter 34?
4. Who died on November 21, 1916?
5. What newspaper did Viktor read in order to follow news about the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the First World War start?
2. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
3. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
4. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
5. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
6. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
7. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
8. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
9. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
10. How did Anna save the netsuke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
Essay Topic 2
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
Essay Topic 3
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)