|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
2. What did Charles leave Emmy in his will?
3. What subject at school does the author say Iggy is not good at?
4. Where is the chest from that the wooden Buddha in Iggy's house sits on?
5. What did Tomokazu excel in making?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
2. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
3. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
4. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
5. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
6. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
7. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
8. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
9. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
10. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
Essay Topic 2
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)