|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
2. What is the title of Chapter 16?
3. What is the title of Chapter 34?
4. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
5. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
2. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
3. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
4. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
5. How did the First World War start?
6. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
7. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
8. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
9. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
10. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Dreyfus affair.
1. What was the Dreyfus affair?
2. How was de Waal affected by the Dreyfus affair?
3. What was Emile Zola's role in the Dreyfus affair?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)