|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
2. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
3. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
4. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
5. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
2. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
3. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
4. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
5. How did Vienna change during the war?
6. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
7. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
8. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
9. How did the First World War start?
10. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)