|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Part 4?
2. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
3. Where did Viktor live in England?
4. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
5. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
Essay Topic 1
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)