|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book Herr Wessel made Viktor translate from English into German?
2. What illness did Jules die from?
3. What did Charles give Viktor for a wedding present?
4. What is a vitrine?
5. What is the title of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles help Laforgue?
2. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
3. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
4. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
5. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
6. How did Charles start collecting?
7. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
8. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
9. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
10. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the city's de Waal's family lived in and examine how anger towards the Jewish population developed. Why were the originally accepted into the city? Why were the eventually ran out of the city?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)