|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
2. What was the name of the area in Paris the Ephrussi family moved to?
3. What was the occupation of Jules Laforgue?
4. What was considered a Jewish sin?
5. Where does the author say is the best place out side of Japan to see Japanese art?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
2. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
3. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
4. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
5. How did Charles help Laforgue?
6. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
7. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
8. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
9. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
10. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)