|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
2. What pose does Charles hold in Manet's painting?
3. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
4. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
2. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
3. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
4. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
5. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
6. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
7. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
8. How does the author describe Proust?
9. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
10. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Dreyfus affair.
1. What was the Dreyfus affair?
2. How was de Waal affected by the Dreyfus affair?
3. What was Emile Zola's role in the Dreyfus affair?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)