Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
2. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
3. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What is the title of Chapter 5?
5. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
2. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
3. What does Edmund do while they are in Odessa?
4. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
5. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
6. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
7. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
8. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
9. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
10. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
Essay Topic 2
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)