|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous person found the Ringstrasse enchanting?
2. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
3. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
4. What country does the author say was like a box of sweets?
5. What does the author call an art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
2. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
3. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
4. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
5. How does the author describe Proust?
6. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
7. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
8. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
9. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
10. What passion did Charles and his love share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Dreyfus affair.
1. What was the Dreyfus affair?
2. How was de Waal affected by the Dreyfus affair?
3. What was Emile Zola's role in the Dreyfus affair?
Essay Topic 3
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)