|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman whose Salon Charles visits?
2. In which Russian city were Jews allowed to live?
3. What color eyes does the netsuke hair have?
4. Who ordered the Ring to be be built?
5. What country does the author say was like a box of sweets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
2. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
3. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
4. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
5. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
6. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
7. What passion did Charles and his love share?
8. How did Charles help Laforgue?
9. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
10. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which family member in the book does de Waal identify with the most? Why does he identify with that particular family member? How do think they would have gotten along if they had met in real life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)