|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of Jules Laforgue?
2. What was Durer's nationality?
3. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
4. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What country did Charles decide to travel to shortly after arriving in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
2. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
3. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
4. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
5. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
6. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
7. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
8. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
9. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
10. How did Charles help Laforgue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Hitler able to turn the public against the Jews and other minorities in Germany? What was the environment in Germany that allowed him to create such hatred towards the minorities? What has western Europe done to ensure this won't happen again?
Essay Topic 2
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)