|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of publication was the gazette?
2. What material were the netsuke rates made from?
3. What is a vitrine?
4. What is the name of the book Herr Wessel made Viktor translate from English into German?
5. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
2. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
3. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
4. How did Charles start collecting?
5. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
6. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
7. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
8. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
9. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
10. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
Essay Topic 3
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)