|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Jules die from?
2. What was Charles' nickname?
3. What kind of art did Louise and Charles have a shared passion for?
4. What businessman was given the title of King of the Jews?
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
2. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
3. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
4. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
5. How does the author describe Proust?
6. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
7. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
8. How did Charles help Laforgue?
9. How did Charles start collecting?
10. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)