Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
2. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
3. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What is the title of Chapter 5?
5. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
2. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
3. What does Edmund do while they are in Odessa?
4. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
5. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
6. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
7. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
8. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
9. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
10. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)