|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book Herr Wessel made Viktor translate from English into German?
2. What was Dreyfus accused of?
3. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
4. In which city did Viktor live?
5. In which art gallery does Monet's Les bains de la Grenouillere now hang?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
2. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
3. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
4. How did Charles help Laforgue?
5. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
6. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
7. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
8. How does the author describe Proust?
9. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
10. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
Essay Topic 3
What has Western Europe done to stop anti-Semitism since World War Two? Have they been successful?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)