|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What publication does Charles write for?
2. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
3. Why did people say the Japanese created small artwork?
4. Which of Ignace's children does the author call long-faced and huge-eyed?
5. Which modern art movement did Charles most admire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
2. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
3. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
4. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
5. How did Charles help Laforgue?
6. What passion did Charles and his love share?
7. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
8. Why did Iggy like Japan?
9. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
10. How did Anna save the netsuke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Dreyfus affair.
1. What was the Dreyfus affair?
2. How was de Waal affected by the Dreyfus affair?
3. What was Emile Zola's role in the Dreyfus affair?
This section contains 1,528 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)