|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
2. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
3. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What is the title of Chapter 5?
5. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
2. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
3. What does Edmund do while they are in Odessa?
4. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
5. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
6. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
7. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
8. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
9. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
10. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
How was Hitler able to turn the public against the Jews and other minorities in Germany? What was the environment in Germany that allowed him to create such hatred towards the minorities? What has western Europe done to ensure this won't happen again?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)