|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Vienna was Viktor"s mansion located?
2. What is a vitrine?
3. What kind of publication was the gazette?
4. Who was elected mayor of Vienna in 1897?
5. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
2. How did Charles start collecting?
3. What passion did Charles and his love share?
4. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
5. How did Charles help Laforgue?
6. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
7. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
8. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
9. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
10. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 2
What has Western Europe done to stop anti-Semitism since World War Two? Have they been successful?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)