|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Ignace's children does the author call long-faced and huge-eyed?
2. What kind of publication was the gazette?
3. What is the title of Chapter 5?
4. What was the name of the artist that Charles wrote about?
5. What is a vitrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles help Laforgue?
2. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
3. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
4. How does the author describe Proust?
5. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
6. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
7. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
8. What passion did Charles and his love share?
9. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
10. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
Essay Topic 2
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)