|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Jules die from?
2. Where were Renoir's portraits of Louise's two daughters exhibited?
3. What was the name of the prison Dreyfus was sent to live in solitary confinement?
4. What is the name of Louise's new lover?
5. Which does the author state the one thing Emmy was very good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
2. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
3. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
4. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
5. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
6. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
7. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
8. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
9. How does the author describe Proust?
10. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Dreyfus affair.
1. What was the Dreyfus affair?
2. How was de Waal affected by the Dreyfus affair?
3. What was Emile Zola's role in the Dreyfus affair?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)