Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Vienna was Viktor"s mansion located?
2. What kind of publication was the gazette?
3. Who does the author think Charles may have bought the netsukes to please?
4. Where did Charles find Jules a job?
5. What was the main export out of Odessa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
2. How does the author describe Proust?
3. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
4. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
5. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
6. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
7. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
8. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
9. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
10. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)