|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did Viktor live?
2. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
4. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
5. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
2. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
3. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
4. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
5. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
6. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
7. How did Charles start collecting?
8. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
9. What passion did Charles and his love share?
10. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
Essay Topic 2
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
Essay Topic 3
Which family member in the book does de Waal identify with the most? Why does he identify with that particular family member? How do think they would have gotten along if they had met in real life?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)