|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What publication does Charles write for?
2. What was Charles' nickname?
3. What was Dreyfus accused of?
4. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What pose does Charles hold in Manet's painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Proust?
2. How did Charles start collecting?
3. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
4. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
5. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
6. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
7. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
8. How did Charles help Laforgue?
9. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
10. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the city's de Waal's family lived in and examine how anger towards the Jewish population developed. Why were the originally accepted into the city? Why were the eventually ran out of the city?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)