|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Vienna was Viktor"s mansion located?
2. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
3. What is the title of Chapter 4?
4. In which art gallery does Monet's Les bains de la Grenouillere now hang?
5. In which famous painting is Charles depicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
2. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
3. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
4. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
5. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
6. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
7. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
8. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
9. How does the author describe Proust?
10. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)