|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
2. What were Jews blamed for in the 1880s?
3. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
4. What is the title of Chapter 5?
5. What is the name of the woman whose Salon Charles visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
2. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
3. How does the author describe Proust?
4. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
5. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
6. How did Charles help Laforgue?
7. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
8. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
9. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
10. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the city's de Waal's family lived in and examine how anger towards the Jewish population developed. Why were the originally accepted into the city? Why were the eventually ran out of the city?
Essay Topic 2
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the city's de Waal visits in the book.
1. How did war change the city? What was it like before the war?
2. How did each city help develop the identity of de Waal's family?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)