|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Charles' brothers was a playboy?
2. What is the name of Louise's new lover?
3. Who does the author think Charles may have bought the netsukes to please?
4. What is the title of Chapter 7?
5. Which does the author state the one thing Emmy was very good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
2. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
3. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
4. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
5. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
6. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
7. How did Charles help Laforgue?
8. How did Charles start collecting?
9. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
10. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 2
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)