|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What did Charles give Viktor for a wedding present?
3. Where were Renoir's portraits of Louise's two daughters exhibited?
4. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
5. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
2. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
3. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
4. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
5. How did Charles help Laforgue?
6. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
7. How does the author describe Proust?
8. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
9. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
10. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
Essay Topic 3
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)