|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author say was the best place to buy Japanese art?
2. Which of the following painters did Charles correspond with?
3. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
4. In which city did Viktor live?
5. What material were the netsuke rates made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
2. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
3. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
4. How did Charles help Laforgue?
5. How does the author describe Proust?
6. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
7. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
8. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
9. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
10. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the early part of the 20th century? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
In the book the author describes how the American attack and occupation changed Japan.
1. What was Japan like before the war? How did America ideals change Japan?
2. How did the Japanese cope with the change? Do they harbor any bitterness towards the Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What has Western Europe done to stop anti-Semitism since World War Two? Have they been successful?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)