|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What painter did Charles help out when he was broke?
2. Who does the Princess regard to be her Mahout?
3. What is the name of the woman whose Salon Charles visits?
4. What was Durer's nationality?
5. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
2. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
3. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
4. How does the author describe Proust?
5. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
6. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
7. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
8. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
9. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
10. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the city's de Waal's family lived in and examine how anger towards the Jewish population developed. Why were the originally accepted into the city? Why were the eventually ran out of the city?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)