|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Ignace's children does the author call long-faced and huge-eyed?
2. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
3. What was the name of the man that Charles brought his netsukes from?
4. What is the title of Chapter 4?
5. Who said he would protect the the Viennese Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
2. How did Charles help Laforgue?
3. How did Charles start collecting?
4. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
5. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
6. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
7. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
8. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
9. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
10. How does the author describe Proust?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the city's de Waal's family lived in and examine how anger towards the Jewish population developed. Why were the originally accepted into the city? Why were the eventually ran out of the city?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)