|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
2. What is the name of the woman whose Salon Charles visits?
3. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
4. What was Dreyfus accused of?
5. What businessman was given the title of King of the Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
2. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
3. How does the author describe Proust?
4. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
5. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
6. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
7. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
8. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
9. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
10. What passion did Charles and his love share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think de Waal only shows the life of the rich Jews such as his family members in his book? In light of all the problems, what are the disadvantages with representing only the rich Jewish members of society? How would the meaning of the book changed if he had represented the lives of some of the poorer members of Jewish society?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the journey of the netsuke. Why is the journey the netsuke took so important to de Waal and his family?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)