|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ordered the Ring to be be built?
2. Where was Charles' mistress from?
3. What is this the name of the affair that was seen as the peak of anti-Semitism in France?
4. What were Jews blamed for in the 1880s?
5. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
2. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
3. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
4. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
5. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
6. How does the author describe Proust?
7. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
8. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
9. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
10. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which family member in the book does de Waal identify with the most? Why does he identify with that particular family member? How do think they would have gotten along if they had met in real life?
Essay Topic 2
How did his family's suffering effect de Waal's own upbringing? How has de Waal tried to cope with what his family has been through? Do the students think second and third generations can be effected by problems that occurred within their family over 50 years before?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)