|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Renoir accused of by his peers?
2. Who does the Princess regard to be her Mahout?
3. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
4. What was the name of the prison Dreyfus was sent to live in solitary confinement?
5. What publication does Charles write for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
2. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
3. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
4. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
5. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
6. How did Charles start collecting?
7. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
8. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
9. What passion did Charles and his love share?
10. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How influential was Jewish culture in Europe at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century? How much did it change European life?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)