|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 7?
2. Who ordered the Ring to be be built?
3. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
4. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
5. Where does the author say is the best place out side of Japan to see Japanese art?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
2. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
3. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
4. How does the author describe Proust?
5. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
6. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
7. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
8. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
9. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
10. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How different is the Jewish outlet on life from the Christian's outlook on life? What are the main conflicts between the two cultures?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the city's de Waal's family lived in and examine how anger towards the Jewish population developed. Why were the originally accepted into the city? Why were the eventually ran out of the city?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)