|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 4?
2. Who said he would protect the the Viennese Jews?
3. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
4. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
5. What was the name of the prison Dreyfus was sent to live in solitary confinement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles start collecting?
2. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
3. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
4. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
5. What does Edmund learn about Charles at the end of Chapter 3?
6. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
7. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
8. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
9. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
10. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What does de Waal learn about his family in the book? Why is it so important for him to know about his family? How will this new knowledge about his family help him?
Essay Topic 3
Why were there so many Jews in eastern and central Europe? Why were there so few Jewish people in Britain at the beginning of the 20th century/ How did countries such as USA and Britain help the Jews during the Second World War?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)