|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
(a) New York.
2. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
(a) Franz Ferdinand.
(b) Joseph Heller.
(c) Jan Heckeroth.
(d) Thomas Mann.
3. In which city was Viktor born?
4. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
(a) A banker.
(b) A loan shark.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A factory manager.
5. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
2. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
3. What is the name of the Austrian national anthem?
4. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
5. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
2. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
3. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
4. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
5. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
6. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
7. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
8. How did Anna save the netsuke?
9. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
10. Why did Iggy like Japan?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)