|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
(a) Jan Heckeroth.
(b) Franz Ferdinand.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Joseph Heller.
2. Why is it seen as dishonorable when Germany invaded Belgium?
(a) It is a neutral country.
(b) It supports the Germans.
(c) It is in poverty.
(d) It has no government.
3. Where is the chest from that the wooden Buddha in Iggy's house sits on?
4. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
5. What do the parks outside the Votivkirche have stenciled on them?
(a) Juden willkommen.
(b) Juden sterben.
(c) Juden verboten.
(d) Juden liebe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
2. What is the title of Part 4?
3. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
4. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
5. In which city was Viktor born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anna save the netsuke?
2. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
3. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
4. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
5. How did Vienna change during the war?
6. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
7. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
8. How did the First World War start?
9. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
10. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)