|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following phrases were printed in the Japanese-English Conversation Manual?
(a) Blimely, where are we?
(b) Looky here.
(c) Give my love to the queen.
(d) Thank you, awfully.
2. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
(a) Geisha parties.
(b) Go Go parties.
(c) Peep Show parties.
(d) Family parties.
3. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The British.
(d) The Russians.
4. What is the title of Chapter 24?
(a) An Ideal Spot for Mass Marches.
(b) Flying to a New Destiny.
(c) Waiting for Disaster.
(d) Looting the City.
5. What does Rilke celebrate in his poem Funf Gesange?
(b) Gods of War.
(d) The Angels of Death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Japanese decide to accept the Pan Pan girls?
2. What is the title of Chapter 16?
3. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
4. In which city was Viktor born?
5. What did the Japanese call the make-up clad girls who used to go with American soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anna save the netsuke?
2. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
3. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
4. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
5. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
6. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
7. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
8. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
9. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
10. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)