|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Nine Jewish women parading down Ringstrasse.
(b) A portrait of his family laughing around a fire.
(c) Eight white suits hanging on a rail.
(d) His wife and children walking towards him.
2. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His mother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His second cousin.
(d) His grandmother.
3. What do the parks outside the Votivkirche have stenciled on them?
(a) Juden sterben.
(b) Juden verboten.
(c) Juden willkommen.
(d) Juden liebe.
4. What was printed on the dial of the English Radio?
(a) The names of German novels.
(b) The names of English singers.
(c) The names of countries.
(d) The names of capital cities.
5. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
(a) England and Vienna.
(b) The country and the city.
(c) Vienna and France.
(d) The town and the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
2. What is the title of Chapter 17?
3. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
4. Why did the Japanese decide to accept the Pan Pan girls?
5. Where did Viktor live in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vienna change during the war?
2. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
3. Why did Iggy like Japan?
4. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
5. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
6. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
7. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
8. How did Anna save the netsuke?
9. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
10. How did Austrian government react to the atrocities of World War Two?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)