|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the novel, "The Radetzky March"?
(a) Thomas Mann.
(b) Joseph Roth.
(c) Gustav Springer.
(d) Beatrice Potter.
2. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Sweet Young Thing.
(b) Long into the Night.
(c) Early Hours on a Spring Morning.
(d) Beating at the Doors.
3. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) Thirty Nine Steps.
(c) The Nifle Man.
(d) Treasure Island.
4. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
5. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Gisela go to during the war?
2. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
3. What newspaper did Viktor read in order to follow news about the war?
4. What did Jiro's grandfather make his fortune from?
5. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Iggy like Japan?
2. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
3. How did Anna save the netsuke?
4. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
5. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
6. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
7. How did Vienna change during the war?
8. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
9. How did the First World War start?
10. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)