|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
(a) Esther Freud.
(b) Anne Boelyn
(c) Marie Antoinette.
(d) Judith Danae.
2. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
3. Which of the following phrases were printed in the Japanese-English Conversation Manual?
(a) Thank you, awfully.
(b) Give my love to the queen.
(c) Blimely, where are we?
(d) Looky here.
4. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
(a) Austria unite.
(b) War needs love.
(c) Thank God for a Crisis.
(d) Thanks be the war.
5. What is the title of Chapter 31?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Austrian people boycott on April 23?
2. Who died on November 21, 1916?
3. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
4. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
5. What is the title of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the First World War start?
2. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
3. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
4. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
5. How did Anna save the netsuke?
6. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
7. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
8. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
9. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
10. Why did Iggy like Japan?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)