|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Austrian people boycott on April 23?
(a) The swimming baths.
(b) Hitler's speeches.
(c) Jewish shops.
(d) Football matches.
2. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
3. What is Pips doing on the pen and ink card?
(b) Playing the piano.
(c) Writing his memoirs.
(d) Bowing to the ladies.
4. Which country do the Ephrussi go to for their long month away?
5. What is the title of Chapter 34?
(a) On a Hatstand.
(b) Working Through the Mud and Grain.
(c) Laughing Eith the Dead
(d) On Polish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosopher did Emmy call a bear with the manners of a bear?
2. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
3. What was printed on the dial of the English Radio?
4. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
5. What is the title of Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
2. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
3. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
4. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
5. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
6. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
7. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
8. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
9. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
10. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)