|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Charles leave Emmy in his will?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A gold necklace.
(c) A Rimbaud painting.
(d) His book collection.
2. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The British.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Germans.
3. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) Thirty Nine Steps.
(b) The Nifle Man.
(d) Treasure Island.
4. What is Thomas an expert on?
(a) The conflict in Berlin.
(b) The conflict in Vienna.
(c) The conflict in Caucasus.
(d) The conflict in Odessa.
5. Who wrote the novel, "The Radetzky March"?
(a) Gustav Springer.
(b) Beatrice Potter.
(c) Joseph Roth.
(d) Thomas Mann.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 31?
2. What did Tomokazu excel in making?
3. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
4. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
5. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
2. How did the First World War start?
3. Why did Iggy find it easy to settle down in Tokyo than some other foreigners?
4. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
5. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
6. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
7. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
8. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
9. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
10. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)