|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
(a) Mrs. Yukami.
(b) Miss. Peabody.
(c) Mrs. Y.
(d) Mrs. X.
2. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Fighters and cowards.
(b) Lovers and murderers.
(c) Judges and hangmen.
(d) Poets and thinkers.
3. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
4. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Archduke.
(d) Her father.
5. By what name was James Morris later called?
(a) Frank Morris.
(b) Jan Morris.
(c) Patra Yearly.
(d) Gay Talese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was printed on the dial of the English Radio?
2. Why is it seen as dishonorable when Germany invaded Belgium?
3. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
4. What do the parks outside the Votivkirche have stenciled on them?
5. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the First World War start?
2. Why did Iggy like Japan?
3. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
4. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
5. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
6. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
7. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
8. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
9. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
10. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)