|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Viktor live in England?
(a) Tunbridge Wells.
2. Why is it seen as dishonorable when Germany invaded Belgium?
(a) It is a neutral country.
(b) It is in poverty.
(c) It supports the Germans.
(d) It has no government.
3. What does Rilke celebrate in his poem Funf Gesange?
(b) Gods of War.
(d) The Angels of Death.
4. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
5. What is the name of the Austrian national anthem?
(a) Gott Erhalte.
(b) Menshen, Menschen.
(c) Schon Tag.
(d) Gott Liebe Dich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 31?
2. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
3. Which country do the Ephrussi go to for their long month away?
4. What do the Austrian people boycott on April 23?
5. Which country promises to support Austria against the Serbs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
2. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
3. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
4. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
5. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
6. How did Anna save the netsuke?
7. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
8. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
9. How did the First World War start?
10. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)