|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) A portrait of his family laughing around a fire.
(b) Nine Jewish women parading down Ringstrasse.
(c) His wife and children walking towards him.
(d) Eight white suits hanging on a rail.
2. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
(a) Mrs. Y.
(b) Mrs. Yukami.
(c) Mrs. X.
(d) Miss. Peabody.
3. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) The Nifle Man.
(b) Thirty Nine Steps.
(c) Treasure Island.
4. What was the name of Iggy's partner?
5. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
2. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
3. Who died on November 21, 1916?
4. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
5. What did Jiro's grandfather make his fortune from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
2. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
3. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
4. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
5. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
6. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
7. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
8. Describe Emmy's relationship with her children.
9. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
10. How did Vienna change during the war?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)