|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city was Viktor born?
2. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
(a) Thomas Mann.
(b) Franz Kafka.
(c) Victor Hugo.
(d) Charles Dickens.
3. Who was appointed the German Chancellor in 1933?
4. Where did Thomas and travel to last time they traveled together?
(a) The British Channel Islands.
(b) The Greek Islands.
5. What does Rilke celebrate in his poem Funf Gesange?
(a) Gods of War.
(d) The Angels of Death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
2. Which of the following objects is placed on a tray to play Kim's Game?
3. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
4. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
5. What is the only color Evelina wears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
2. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
3. Why are Joseph Roth's novels so interesting to Edmund?
4. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
5. Why did Iggy like Japan?
6. What were conditions like in Tokyo in 1947?
7. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
8. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
9. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
10. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)