|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 24?
(a) Flying to a New Destiny.
(b) Waiting for Disaster.
(c) Looting the City.
(d) An Ideal Spot for Mass Marches.
2. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Franz Kafka.
(c) Victor Hugo.
(d) Thomas Mann.
3. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) Thirty Nine Steps.
(b) The Nifle Man.
(c) Treasure Island.
4. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
(d) New York.
5. Where did Thomas and travel to last time they traveled together?
(b) The Greek Islands.
(c) The British Channel Islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call a tonic at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. Which country do the Ephrussi go to for their long month away?
3. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
4. What is the nationality of the man who assassinates the Archduke?
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
2. Why did Iggy like Japan?
3. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
4. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
5. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
6. What problems does Viktor have with the vitrine in Chapter 15?
7. How did Viktor escape Slovakia?
8. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
9. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
10. Describe Hendrik de Waal.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)