|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
2. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
(a) The Ring Strasse.
(b) The German Embassy in London.
(c) The German Embassy in Paris.
(d) The German Parliament.
3. Who is talking to Emmy in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1906?
(c) The Empress.
(d) The Archduke.
4. What country does Gisela go to during the war?
5. What was the name of the Japanese religion implicated in the rise of nationalism?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nationality of the man who assassinates the Archduke?
2. What is the title of Chapter 31?
3. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
4. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
5. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did life in Vienna change after Hitler visited the city?
2. What does Edmund's father find for Edmund that he thinks will be important to his research?
3. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
4. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
5. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
6. Why does Edmund think Emmy had so many lovers over the years?
7. How did the First World War start?
8. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
9. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
10. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)