|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject did Elisabeth teach in England to earn extra money?
2. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) Early Hours on a Spring Morning.
(b) Beating at the Doors.
(c) The Sweet Young Thing.
(d) Long into the Night.
3. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His second cousin.
(d) His mother.
4. What is the name of the Austrian national anthem?
(a) Menshen, Menschen.
(b) Schon Tag.
(c) Gott Erhalte.
(d) Gott Liebe Dich.
5. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
(a) Vienna, Kyoto, St. Petersburg.
(b) Tokoyo, Odessa, London.
(c) Paris, Moscow, Vienna.
(d) Birmingham, Berlin, Munich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only color Evelina wears?
2. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
3. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
4. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
5. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elisabeth help her parents flee the country?
2. What signs are there in Chapter 24 that the Nazis are taking over?
3. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
4. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
5. What does Edmund discover about how Viktor and Emmy lived their lives?
6. How did the Japanese company Sony develop?
7. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
8. Why was Iggy happy to settle down in Tokyo?
9. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
10. What was Elisabeth's passion as a student?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)