|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 24?
(a) Flying to a New Destiny.
(b) An Ideal Spot for Mass Marches.
(c) Looting the City.
(d) Waiting for Disaster.
2. What does Rilke celebrate in his poem Funf Gesange?
(a) The Angels of Death.
(c) Gods of War.
3. What subject did Elisabeth teach in England to earn extra money?
4. By what name was James Morris later called?
(a) Gay Talese.
(b) Frank Morris.
(c) Jan Morris.
(d) Patra Yearly.
5. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
(b) The key to who he is.
(c) The key to his family secrets.
(d) The key to his blocked ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Iggy visit for the first time in October 1947?
2. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
3. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
4. What is the nationality of the man who assassinates the Archduke?
5. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Emmy and Viktor's three children?
2. Describe the family apartment when Elisabeth visits after the second world war.
3. Why were the netsuke so important to the children?
4. Why does the author think the Japanese are so good with their hands?
5. In what way were conditions worsening at the end of Chapter 23?
6. What was the children's relationship with the netsuke?
7. How is it suggested that the American took advantage of the Japanese during their occupation of the country?
8. Why did Iggy like Japan?
9. How did the First World War start?
10. How did Vienna change during the war?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)