|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Dreyfus accused of?
2. What was the name of the party Dr. Karl Lueger founded?
(a) The Green Party.
(b) The Social National Party.
(c) The Christian Social Parts.
(d) The Nazi Party.
3. What kind of art did Louise and Charles have a shared passion for?
(a) Chinese art.
(b) Jewish art.
(c) Russian art.
(d) Japanese art.
4. What does the staircase in the medical insurance office curl up like?
(a) A sleeping python.
(b) A winner's ribbon.
(c) A coil of smoke.
(d) A trail of saliva.
5. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
(c) St. Petersburgh.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
2. What does Edmund compare glass cases in museums to?
3. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
4. What did Viktor and his wife, Emmy, inherit?
5. Where were Renoir's portraits of Louise's two daughters exhibited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
2. How does the author describe Proust?
3. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
4. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
5. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
6. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
7. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
8. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
9. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
10. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)