|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which does the author state the one thing Emmy was very good at?
(b) Playing golf.
(d) Telling stories.
2. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
(c) Van Gogh's.
3. What was the name of the prison Dreyfus was sent to live in solitary confinement?
(a) Devil's Island.
(d) Port Island.
4. Where does the author say is the best place out side of Japan to see Japanese art?
5. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
(a) Griensteidl Cafe.
(b) Das Stadt Cafe.
(c) Pembroke Cafe.
(d) Oxford Cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
2. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
3. What is this the name of the affair that was seen as the peak of anti-Semitism in France?
4. What country did Charles decide to travel to shortly after arriving in Paris?
5. What is Edmund"s occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
2. How did Charles help Laforgue?
3. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
4. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
5. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
6. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
7. What was Sichel's view of Japan?
8. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
9. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
10. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)