|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What building's ceiling did Baudry decorate?
(a) The Paris Opera.
(b) The Paris Cathredral.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Eiffel Tower
2. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
(a) Van Gogh's.
3. What is the title of Chapter 5?
(a) A Box of Children's Sweets.
(b) Examining the Japnese.
(c) Thoughful Ponderings.
4. What kind of background did Wessell say a person should have to understand history better?
(a) A liberal background.
(b) A language background.
(c) A fascist background.
(d) A socialist background.
5. In which city does Edmund live?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was elected mayor of Vienna in 1897?
2. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
3. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
4. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
5. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
2. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
3. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
4. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
5. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
6. What passion did Charles and his love share?
7. How does the author describe Proust?
8. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
9. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
10. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)