|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pose does Charles hold in Manet's painting?
(a) He is sitting with his back to the painter.
(b) He is lying onthe grass smoking.
(c) He is standing up in a boat flexing his muscles.
(d) He is kissing the hand of a young lady.
2. What businessman was given the title of King of the Jews?
(a) James de Rothschild.
(b) Joel Coen.
(c) Rupert Murdoch.
(d) Emile Zola.
3. In which city does Edmund live?
4. What did Charles give Viktor for a wedding present?
(a) The 267 netsuke.
(b) A Van Gogh painting.
(c) His gold watch.
(d) His estate.
5. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 4?
2. What does Edmund compare glass cases in museums to?
3. Which modern art movement did Charles most admire?
4. What does the staircase in the medical insurance office curl up like?
5. What color eyes does the netsuke hair have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
2. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
3. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
4. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
5. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
6. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
7. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
8. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
9. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
10. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)