|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which Russian city were Jews allowed to live?
(c) St. Petersburg.
2. What color eyes does the netsuke hair have?
3. Who was elected mayor of Vienna in 1897?
(a) Karl Lueger.
(b) Franz Ferdinant.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
4. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
(a) Venus in Furs.
5. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) He is bisexual.
(b) He is an antisemite.
(c) He Jewish.
(d) He is homosexual.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author say was the best place to buy Japanese art?
2. What was the occupation of Jules Laforgue?
3. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
4. In which city did Jules become a successful business man?
5. What country did Charles decide to travel to shortly after arriving in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
2. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
3. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
4. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
5. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
6. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
7. How did anti-Jewish feeling in France effect Charles?
8. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
9. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
10. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)