|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which famous painting is Charles depicted?
(a) Venus in Furs.
(b) Luncheon of he Boating Party.
(d) Falling in Love.
2. What was considered a Jewish sin?
(a) Making money from money.
(b) Living in a Ghetto.
(c) Reading the New Testament.
(d) Marrying a gentile.
3. Who did Renoir not consider a real artist?
(c) Van Gogh.
4. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He was a Jew.
(b) He had working class roots.
(c) He wasn't an artist.
(d) He was too rich to understand.
5. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) Very little time was spent making them.
(b) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
(c) The were made to be touched.
(d) They were unbreakable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
2. What country does the author say was like a box of sweets?
3. What sport did the Jewish students take up to counter anti-Semitic feeling?
4. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
5. In which city does Edmund live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles live his life differently from his brothers?
2. What can de Waal envision as he scans Charles' room?
3. How did the Dreyfus affair change Charles' attitude towards life?
4. Why does Edmund think he has fallen for Charles?
5. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
6. How did Charles start collecting?
7. What were Herr Wessel's teaching methods?
8. What does Edmund think was strange about Charles' relationship with the Impressionist painters?
9. Describe the Ringstrasse when it was first built in Vienna.
10. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)