|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What publication does Charles write for?
(a) The Times.
(b) The Journal.
(c) The Guardian.
(d) The Gazette.
2. What can Edmund envision Charles wearing as he sits in his yellow armchair?
(a) A Japanese robe.
(b) A German smoking jacket.
(c) A British sports jacket.
(d) A Chinese dressing gown.
3. What was considered a Jewish sin?
(a) Making money from money.
(b) Reading the New Testament.
(c) Marrying a gentile.
(d) Living in a Ghetto.
4. What illness did Jules die from?
(d) Small pox.
5. Where were Renoir's portraits of Louise's two daughters exhibited?
(a) The National Gallery.
(b) The Salon.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
2. What was the main export out of Odessa?
3. What is the name of the woman whose Salon Charles visits?
4. Who did Renoir not consider a real artist?
5. What was the occupation of Jules Laforgue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Odessa an important city for the Jews?
2. How does the author describe Proust?
3. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
4. What did Drumont write about Jews in his anti-Semetic newspaper?
5. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
6. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
7. How did Charles start collecting?
8. Why does Charles buy a vitrine in Chapter 6?
9. What evidence does de Waal to prove Charles was friends with all the great Paris artists of the late 19th century?
10. How did the Dreyfus affair effect Jewish people?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)