|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was elected mayor of Vienna in 1897?
(a) Franz Ferdinant.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Karl Lueger.
(d) Thomas Mann.
2. What does the author call an art?
(a) House sitting.
(b) Star gazing.
(c) House watching.
(d) Autograph hunting.
3. Who did Renoir not consider a real artist?
(b) Van Gogh.
4. What was Charles' nickname?
(a) Waltzing Boy.
(b) Fox Trotter.
(c) Dancing Dave.
(d) Cheeky Charlie.
5. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) Very little time was spent making them.
(b) The were made to be touched.
(c) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
(d) They were unbreakable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Charles decide to travel to shortly after arriving in Paris?
2. What was Durer's nationality?
3. Where was Charles' mistress from?
4. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
5. Who ordered the Ring to be be built?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the family's goal in terms of their grain business?
2. Describe Edmund's relative Ignace von Ephrussi.
3. How did Charles start collecting?
4. How does Edmund imagine the house was like when Charles and his brothers lived there?
5. How did Charles spend his time in Paris?
6. Why was Japan a box of sweets for foreigners in the 1880s?
7. How does Edmund describe his family's palais?
8. How does the author describe Proust?
9. What problems were Charles and his relative having at the end of Chapter 20?
10. Why did Westerners view Japanese art as so different?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)