|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call a tonic at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Emmy's poetry.
(b) The netsuke.
(c) Elisabeth's memoirs.
(d) Viktor's paintings.
2. In which city was Viktor born?
3. Which of the following phrases were printed in the Japanese-English Conversation Manual?
(a) Give my love to the queen.
(b) Blimely, where are we?
(c) Looky here.
(d) Thank you, awfully.
4. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
(a) Esther Freud.
(b) Anne Boelyn
(c) Marie Antoinette.
(d) Judith Danae.
5. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
(a) Chinese and Japanese.
(b) Dutch and Ukraine.
(c) French and English.
(d) Hungarian and Russian.
6. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
7. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The British.
8. What is the title of Chapter 34?
(a) Working Through the Mud and Grain.
(b) Laughing Eith the Dead
(c) On Polish.
(d) On a Hatstand.
9. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
10. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Nine Jewish women parading down Ringstrasse.
(b) Eight white suits hanging on a rail.
(c) His wife and children walking towards him.
(d) A portrait of his family laughing around a fire.
11. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
(a) Their swimming costumes.
(b) Their kimonos.
(c) Their gowns.
(d) Their army uniforms.
12. What is the title of Chapter 16?
(a) Liberty Hall.
(b) Family in Trouble.
(c) Kristall Nacht.
(d) Belly Up.
13. What is Pips doing on the pen and ink card?
(a) Bowing to the ladies.
(b) Writing his memoirs.
(d) Playing the piano.
14. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
(c) New York.
15. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the chest from that the wooden Buddha in Iggy's house sits on?
2. What was the name of the Japanese religion implicated in the rise of nationalism?
3. What two countries had Iggy been offered placements in?
4. What do the Austrian people boycott on April 23?
5. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)