|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
2. What does the author call a tonic at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) The netsuke.
(b) Elisabeth's memoirs.
(c) Emmy's poetry.
(d) Viktor's paintings.
3. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(b) Esther Freud.
(c) Anne Boelyn
(d) Judith Danae.
4. What is the title of Chapter 24?
(a) Waiting for Disaster.
(b) Flying to a New Destiny.
(c) An Ideal Spot for Mass Marches.
(d) Looting the City.
5. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
(b) Ernie Pyle.
(d) Groucho Marx.
6. What two countries had Iggy been offered placements in?
(a) Britain and Korea.
(b) Vietnam and Brazil.
(c) China and Japan.
(d) Japan and Congo.
7. What is the title of Chapter 16?
(a) Kristall Nacht.
(b) Family in Trouble.
(c) Belly Up.
(d) Liberty Hall.
8. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
(a) Paris, Moscow, Vienna.
(b) Tokoyo, Odessa, London.
(c) Vienna, Kyoto, St. Petersburg.
(d) Birmingham, Berlin, Munich.
9. Where is the chest from that the wooden Buddha in Iggy's house sits on?
10. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
11. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) The Nifle Man.
(c) Thirty Nine Steps.
(d) Treasure Island.
12. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His second cousin.
(d) His cousin.
13. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
14. What is Thomas an expert on?
(a) The conflict in Odessa.
(b) The conflict in Caucasus.
(c) The conflict in Vienna.
(d) The conflict in Berlin.
15. By what name was James Morris later called?
(a) Gay Talese.
(b) Jan Morris.
(c) Patra Yearly.
(d) Frank Morris.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
2. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
3. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
4. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
5. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)