|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
(a) The Archduke.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
2. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
3. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to his blocked ideas.
(b) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
(c) The key to who he is.
(d) The key to his family secrets.
4. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
5. What is the title of Chapter 24?
(a) Flying to a New Destiny.
(b) An Ideal Spot for Mass Marches.
(c) Waiting for Disaster.
(d) Looting the City.
6. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
(a) West Germany.
7. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
8. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Nine Jewish women parading down Ringstrasse.
(b) A portrait of his family laughing around a fire.
(c) His wife and children walking towards him.
(d) Eight white suits hanging on a rail.
9. What was the name of the Japanese religion implicated in the rise of nationalism?
10. What did Iggy visit for the first time in October 1947?
(a) His father's grave.
(b) The house in Tunbridge Wells.
(c) His grandchildren.
(d) His mother's grave.
11. What did Iggy learn how to sketch at the third rung fashion house?
(a) Tea gowns.
(b) Female models.
12. Who is Elisabeth named after?
(a) An empress.
(b) A writer.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A queen.
13. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
(a) Franz Kafka.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Victor Hugo.
14. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
(a) A factory manager.
(b) A banker.
(c) A loan shark.
(d) A merchant.
15. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper did Viktor read in order to follow news about the war?
2. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
3. What was printed on the dial of the English Radio?
4. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
5. What did Charles leave Emmy in his will?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)