|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country do the Ephrussi go to for their long month away?
2. Who wrote the novel, "The Radetzky March"?
(a) Gustav Springer.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) Joseph Roth.
(d) Beatrice Potter.
3. What was the name of the Japanese religion implicated in the rise of nationalism?
4. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
(a) The Waltz.
(b) Twist and Shout.
(c) Tokyo Boogie Woogie.
(d) Kyoko Kaps.
5. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
(a) Hungarian and Russian.
(b) Chinese and Japanese.
(c) Dutch and Ukraine.
(d) French and English.
6. Who is talking to Emmy in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1906?
(b) The Empress.
(d) The Archduke.
7. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
8. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Poets and thinkers.
(b) Judges and hangmen.
(c) Lovers and murderers.
(d) Fighters and cowards.
9. What is Thomas an expert on?
(a) The conflict in Caucasus.
(b) The conflict in Berlin.
(c) The conflict in Odessa.
(d) The conflict in Vienna.
10. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
11. What is the title of Chapter 34?
(a) On a Hatstand.
(b) On Polish.
(c) Laughing Eith the Dead
(d) Working Through the Mud and Grain.
12. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
(a) Franz Ferdinand.
(b) Jan Heckeroth.
(c) Joseph Heller.
(d) Thomas Mann.
13. What is the title of Chapter 24?
(a) Looting the City.
(b) An Ideal Spot for Mass Marches.
(c) Waiting for Disaster.
(d) Flying to a New Destiny.
14. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
(a) Mrs. X.
(b) Mrs. Yukami.
(c) Miss. Peabody.
(d) Mrs. Y.
15. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
(a) The Archduke.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
2. Which of the following phrases were printed in the Japanese-English Conversation Manual?
3. By what name was James Morris later called?
4. Which country promises to support Austria against the Serbs?
5. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)