|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What philosopher did Emmy call a bear with the manners of a bear?
2. What was printed on the dial of the English Radio?
(a) The names of capital cities.
(b) The names of German novels.
(c) The names of English singers.
(d) The names of countries.
3. Where did Thomas and travel to last time they traveled together?
(b) The Greek Islands.
(c) The British Channel Islands.
4. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(b) Esther Freud.
(c) Anne Boelyn
(d) Judith Danae.
5. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His second cousin.
(d) His mother.
6. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
7. Where did Viktor live in England?
(a) Tunbridge Wells.
8. What is the title of Chapter 27?
(a) Feeling Through the Darkness.
(b) The Tears of Things.
(c) The Years of Thinking.
(d) Finding Nothing but Hate.
9. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
(a) New York.
10. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
(a) West Germany.
11. By what name was James Morris later called?
(a) Gay Talese.
(b) Patra Yearly.
(c) Frank Morris.
(d) Jan Morris.
12. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Judges and hangmen.
(b) Fighters and cowards.
(c) Poets and thinkers.
(d) Lovers and murderers.
13. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
(a) The London Accord.
(b) The Berlin Contract.
(c) The Munich Accord.
(d) The Vienna Agreement.
14. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(b) The Nifle Man.
(c) Thirty Nine Steps.
(d) Treasure Island.
15. What do the Austrian people boycott on April 23?
(a) Hitler's speeches.
(b) Football matches.
(c) Jewish shops.
(d) The swimming baths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
2. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
3. What is the title of Chapter 17?
4. What was the name of Iggy's partner?
5. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)