|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
(a) Tokyo Boogie Woogie.
(b) Twist and Shout.
(c) Kyoko Kaps.
(d) The Waltz.
2. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
(a) Mrs. Y.
(b) Mrs. X.
(c) Mrs. Yukami.
(d) Miss. Peabody.
3. What does the author call a tonic at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Viktor's paintings.
(b) Elisabeth's memoirs.
(c) The netsuke.
(d) Emmy's poetry.
4. What is Thomas an expert on?
(a) The conflict in Odessa.
(b) The conflict in Berlin.
(c) The conflict in Vienna.
(d) The conflict in Caucasus.
5. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
(a) The British.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The Russians.
6. Who is Elisabeth named after?
(a) A writer.
(b) An empress.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A queen.
7. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to his family secrets.
(b) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
(c) The key to his blocked ideas.
(d) The key to who he is.
8. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
9. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
(a) Joseph Heller.
(b) Franz Ferdinand.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Jan Heckeroth.
10. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
(a) They thought they were too delicate.
(b) They thought they had no color.
(c) They thought they were overdone.
(d) They thought no effort went into making them.
11. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
12. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
(a) Their gowns.
(b) Their kimonos.
(c) Their army uniforms.
(d) Their swimming costumes.
13. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
(a) Dutch and Ukraine.
(b) Hungarian and Russian.
(c) Chinese and Japanese.
(d) French and English.
14. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
15. What did Jiro's grandfather make his fortune from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 34?
2. Where did Thomas and travel to last time they traveled together?
3. Which of the following objects is placed on a tray to play Kim's Game?
4. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
5. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)