|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
(a) Esther Freud.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) Anne Boelyn
(d) Judith Danae.
2. Why did the Japanese decide to accept the Pan Pan girls?
(a) They had had hard lives.
(b) They were there to keep the other girls innocent.
(c) They brought tourists.
(d) They were fun.
3. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
(a) Peep Show parties.
(b) Go Go parties.
(c) Family parties.
(d) Geisha parties.
4. Which of the following phrases were printed in the Japanese-English Conversation Manual?
(a) Blimely, where are we?
(b) Thank you, awfully.
(c) Looky here.
(d) Give my love to the queen.
5. What is the title of Part 4?
6. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His mother.
(b) His second cousin.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His cousin.
7. In which city was Viktor born?
8. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
(a) Tokoyo, Odessa, London.
(b) Birmingham, Berlin, Munich.
(c) Paris, Moscow, Vienna.
(d) Vienna, Kyoto, St. Petersburg.
9. What do the parks outside the Votivkirche have stenciled on them?
(a) Juden liebe.
(b) Juden sterben.
(c) Juden verboten.
(d) Juden willkommen.
10. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) Long into the Night.
(b) Beating at the Doors.
(c) Early Hours on a Spring Morning.
(d) The Sweet Young Thing.
11. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Lovers and murderers.
(b) Poets and thinkers.
(c) Judges and hangmen.
(d) Fighters and cowards.
12. Who is Elisabeth named after?
(a) A writer.
(b) A queen.
(c) An empress.
(d) A psychologist.
13. What did Tomokazu excel in making?
(a) Book covers.
(b) Clay pots.
(c) Origami figures.
(d) Netsuke animal figures.
14. What is the title of Chapter 31?
15. What philosopher did Emmy call a bear with the manners of a bear?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
2. What is the only color Evelina wears?
3. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
4. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
5. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)