|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
2. What is the name of the Austrian national anthem?
(a) Menshen, Menschen.
(b) Gott Liebe Dich.
(c) Gott Erhalte.
(d) Schon Tag.
3. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
(a) Jan Heckeroth.
(b) Joseph Heller.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Franz Ferdinand.
4. Where did Viktor live in England?
(b) Tunbridge Wells.
5. What country does Gisela go to during the war?
6. What newspaper did Viktor read in order to follow news about the war?
(a) The Herald.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Independent.
(d) The Guardian.
7. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
(a) War needs love.
(b) Thank God for a Crisis.
(c) Austria unite.
(d) Thanks be the war.
8. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
(a) The town and the city.
(b) England and Vienna.
(c) The country and the city.
(d) Vienna and France.
9. Which of the following phrases were printed in the Japanese-English Conversation Manual?
(a) Thank you, awfully.
(b) Blimely, where are we?
(c) Looky here.
(d) Give my love to the queen.
10. Who had bombed Tokyo for three years?
(a) The British.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The Americans.
11. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
(a) A merchant.
(b) A banker.
(c) A loan shark.
(d) A factory manager.
12. Who was appointed the German Chancellor in 1933?
13. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
(a) Thomas Mann.
(b) Victor Hugo.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Franz Kafka.
14. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
(a) Groucho Marx.
(b) Ernie Pyle.
15. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
2. What is the title of Chapter 17?
3. What subject did Elisabeth teach in England to earn extra money?
4. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
5. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)