|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Thomas travel to Odessa from by taxi?
2. What is Thomas an expert on?
(a) The conflict in Caucasus.
(b) The conflict in Vienna.
(c) The conflict in Odessa.
(d) The conflict in Berlin.
3. What was the name of Iggy's partner?
4. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
(a) Tokyo Boogie Woogie.
(b) Twist and Shout.
(c) The Waltz.
(d) Kyoko Kaps.
5. What did Iggy learn how to sketch at the third rung fashion house?
(a) Female models.
(c) Tea gowns.
6. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) Hail Wein! Heil Berlin!
(b) Hail Life as We Know it.
(c) Frothing at the Mouth.
(d) Life peetering away.
7. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
(a) Birmingham, Berlin, Munich.
(b) Tokoyo, Odessa, London.
(c) Paris, Moscow, Vienna.
(d) Vienna, Kyoto, St. Petersburg.
8. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
9. What did Iggy visit for the first time in October 1947?
(a) His grandchildren.
(b) His mother's grave.
(c) The house in Tunbridge Wells.
(d) His father's grave.
10. What subject at school does the author say Iggy is not good at?
11. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
12. Why did the Japanese decide to accept the Pan Pan girls?
(a) They were fun.
(b) They had had hard lives.
(c) They were there to keep the other girls innocent.
(d) They brought tourists.
13. What did the Japanese call the make-up clad girls who used to go with American soldiers?
(a) Go Go girls.
(b) Pan Pan girls.
(c) Lo Lo girls.
(d) Wild Things.
14. What was the name of the Japanese religion implicated in the rise of nationalism?
15. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His second cousin.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
2. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
3. What is the title of Part 4?
4. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
5. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)