|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) The Nifle Man.
(d) Thirty Nine Steps.
2. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
3. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
(a) Thank God for a Crisis.
(b) Austria unite.
(c) War needs love.
(d) Thanks be the war.
4. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
(a) The Archduke.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
5. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
6. Who was appointed the German Chancellor in 1933?
7. What did Iggy learn how to sketch at the third rung fashion house?
(b) Female models.
(d) Tea gowns.
8. What subject at school does the author say Iggy is not good at?
9. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
(b) The key to who he is.
(c) The key to his family secrets.
(d) The key to his blocked ideas.
10. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
(a) They thought no effort went into making them.
(b) They thought they were too delicate.
(c) They thought they were overdone.
(d) They thought they had no color.
11. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
12. What is the name of the Austrian national anthem?
(a) Schon Tag.
(b) Gott Liebe Dich.
(c) Menshen, Menschen.
(d) Gott Erhalte.
13. What country does Gisela go to during the war?
14. What was the name of the Japanese religion implicated in the rise of nationalism?
15. By what name was James Morris later called?
(a) Jan Morris.
(b) Patra Yearly.
(c) Frank Morris.
(d) Gay Talese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the parks outside the Votivkirche have stenciled on them?
2. What did the Japanese call the make-up clad girls who used to go with American soldiers?
3. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
4. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
5. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)