|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elisabeth named after?
(a) A queen.
(b) A writer.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) An empress.
2. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
(a) Tokoyo, Odessa, London.
(b) Paris, Moscow, Vienna.
(c) Birmingham, Berlin, Munich.
(d) Vienna, Kyoto, St. Petersburg.
3. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to his family secrets.
(b) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
(c) The key to who he is.
(d) The key to his blocked ideas.
4. What is the only color Evelina wears?
5. What subject did Elisabeth teach in England to earn extra money?
6. What is the title of Part 4?
7. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
8. Who is talking to Emmy in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1906?
(a) The Archduke.
(c) The Empress.
9. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
(a) Family parties.
(b) Geisha parties.
(c) Go Go parties.
(d) Peep Show parties.
10. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
11. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) Thirty Nine Steps.
(c) The Nifle Man.
12. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
(a) The German Parliament.
(b) The German Embassy in London.
(c) The Ring Strasse.
(d) The German Embassy in Paris.
13. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
(d) New York.
14. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
(a) Esther Freud.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) Anne Boelyn
(d) Judith Danae.
15. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
(a) A banker.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A loan shark.
(d) A factory manager.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 27?
2. Who died on November 21, 1916?
3. What newspaper did Viktor read in order to follow news about the war?
4. What was the name of Iggy's partner?
5. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)