|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
(a) Go Go parties.
(b) Geisha parties.
(c) Family parties.
(d) Peep Show parties.
2. What philosopher did Emmy call a bear with the manners of a bear?
3. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
4. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Poets and thinkers.
(b) Fighters and cowards.
(c) Lovers and murderers.
(d) Judges and hangmen.
5. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) The Archduke.
6. What did the Japanese call the make-up clad girls who used to go with American soldiers?
(a) Pan Pan girls.
(b) Go Go girls.
(c) Wild Things.
(d) Lo Lo girls.
7. Why did the Japanese decide to accept the Pan Pan girls?
(a) They had had hard lives.
(b) They were there to keep the other girls innocent.
(c) They brought tourists.
(d) They were fun.
8. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
(a) Thanks be the war.
(b) Thank God for a Crisis.
(c) Austria unite.
(d) War needs love.
9. By what name was James Morris later called?
(a) Gay Talese.
(b) Patra Yearly.
(c) Jan Morris.
(d) Frank Morris.
10. What does the author call a tonic at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) The netsuke.
(b) Viktor's paintings.
(c) Elisabeth's memoirs.
(d) Emmy's poetry.
11. What is the only color Evelina wears?
12. What is the title of Chapter 16?
(a) Liberty Hall.
(b) Family in Trouble.
(c) Kristall Nacht.
(d) Belly Up.
13. What is the title of Chapter 31?
14. What is Thomas an expert on?
(a) The conflict in Vienna.
(b) The conflict in Odessa.
(c) The conflict in Berlin.
(d) The conflict in Caucasus.
15. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) Hail Life as We Know it.
(b) Frothing at the Mouth.
(c) Hail Wein! Heil Berlin!
(d) Life peetering away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper did Viktor read in order to follow news about the war?
2. Who is Elisabeth named after?
3. Who wrote the novel, "The Radetzky March"?
4. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
5. Where are the three cities the author travels to in the Coda section?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)