|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Japanese call the make-up clad girls who used to go with American soldiers?
(a) Lo Lo girls.
(b) Go Go girls.
(c) Pan Pan girls.
(d) Wild Things.
2. What was the name of Iggy's partner?
3. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
(a) The Ring Strasse.
(b) The German Embassy in London.
(c) The German Embassy in Paris.
(d) The German Parliament.
4. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
(a) The town and the city.
(b) England and Vienna.
(c) The country and the city.
(d) Vienna and France.
5. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
6. Who is talking to Emmy in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1906?
(a) The Archduke.
(d) The Empress.
7. Where did Viktor live in England?
(b) Tunbridge Wells.
8. What did Tomokazu excel in making?
(a) Netsuke animal figures.
(b) Origami figures.
(c) Book covers.
(d) Clay pots.
9. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
10. What is the title of Chapter 27?
(a) The Tears of Things.
(b) Feeling Through the Darkness.
(c) The Years of Thinking.
(d) Finding Nothing but Hate.
11. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Poets and thinkers.
(b) Lovers and murderers.
(c) Fighters and cowards.
(d) Judges and hangmen.
12. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His second cousin.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
13. What country does Viktor help his cousins get to?
14. Who was appointed the German Chancellor in 1933?
15. Why didn't the critics like netsuke?
(a) They thought they were overdone.
(b) They thought they had no color.
(c) They thought they were too delicate.
(d) They thought no effort went into making them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the chest from that the wooden Buddha in Iggy's house sits on?
2. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
3. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
4. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
5. Who does Elisabeth write a letter to in Chapter 20?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)