|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
(a) Jan Heckeroth.
(b) Franz Ferdinand.
(c) Joseph Heller.
(d) Thomas Mann.
2. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) The Nifle Man.
(c) Thirty Nine Steps.
3. What famous writer said a library was an act of faith?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Franz Kafka.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Victor Hugo.
4. What is Pips doing on the pen and ink card?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Bowing to the ladies.
(c) Writing his memoirs.
5. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
(a) Geisha parties.
(b) Peep Show parties.
(c) Go Go parties.
(d) Family parties.
6. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
(a) A loan shark.
(b) A banker.
(c) A factory manager.
(d) A merchant.
7. Who died on November 21, 1916?
(a) Vladimir Lenin.
(b) King George II.
(c) Franz Ferdinand.
(d) Franz Josef.
8. What instrument does Henrik de Waal play?
9. What does the author call a tonic at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Viktor's paintings.
(b) Emmy's poetry.
(c) Elisabeth's memoirs.
(d) The netsuke.
10. What does Rilke celebrate in his poem Funf Gesange?
(a) The Angels of Death.
(b) Gods of War.
11. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
12. Who wrote the novel, "The Radetzky March"?
(a) Gustav Springer.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) Joseph Roth.
(d) Beatrice Potter.
13. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
(a) Mrs. Y.
(b) Mrs. X.
(c) Miss. Peabody.
(d) Mrs. Yukami.
14. Where did Viktor live in England?
(d) Tunbridge Wells.
15. In which city was it arranged for Iggy to begin his studies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gedanken im Kriege translate to in English?
2. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
3. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
4. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
5. Why did the Japanese decide to accept the Pan Pan girls?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)