|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Part 4?
2. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
3. Where did Viktor live in England?
(d) Tunbridge Wells.
4. Who is heir to the Hapsburg Empire in 1914?
(a) Joseph Heller.
(b) Jan Heckeroth.
(c) Franz Ferdinand.
(d) Thomas Mann.
5. Who occupied Japan after the Second World War?
(d) West Germany.
6. Which country do the Ephrussi go to for their long month away?
7. Where did Thomas and travel to last time they traveled together?
(a) The British Channel Islands.
(b) The Greek Islands.
8. In which city did Henrik de Waal grow up?
9. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
10. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
11. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to his blocked ideas.
(b) The key to his family secrets.
(c) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
(d) The key to who he is.
12. What subject at school does the author say Iggy is not good at?
13. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(b) The Nifle Man.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) Thirty Nine Steps.
14. What do Mussolini, Chamberlain and Daladier sign on September 30th?
(a) The Vienna Agreement.
(b) The Berlin Contract.
(c) The London Accord.
(d) The Munich Accord.
15. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
(a) A factory manager.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A loan shark.
(d) A banker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject did Elisabeth teach in England to earn extra money?
2. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
3. Who is talking to Emmy in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1906?
4. What does the author call a tonic at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What is the title of Chapter 27?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)