|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Iggy say it was unwise for a Jewish person to work as during the Depression?
(a) A merchant.
(b) A banker.
(c) A factory manager.
(d) A loan shark.
2. Who dies on October 12, 1938?
3. Which of the author's family dies on September 30, 1905?
4. What did Iggy visit for the first time in October 1947?
(a) The house in Tunbridge Wells.
(b) His grandchildren.
(c) His mother's grave.
(d) His father's grave.
5. Which country promises to support Austria against the Serbs?
6. How is Elisabeth related to the author?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His second cousin.
(d) His cousin.
7. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
8. Who is talking to Emmy in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1906?
(a) The Archduke.
(c) The Empress.
9. What do the Austrian people boycott on April 23?
(a) Jewish shops.
(b) The swimming baths.
(c) Hitler's speeches.
(d) Football matches.
10. What is the title of Chapter 34?
(a) On Polish.
(b) On a Hatstand.
(c) Working Through the Mud and Grain.
(d) Laughing Eith the Dead
11. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(a) Thirty Nine Steps.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) The Nifle Man.
12. Where did a young Jew shoot Ernst von Rath?
(a) The German Embassy in Paris.
(b) The German Parliament.
(c) The Ring Strasse.
(d) The German Embassy in London.
13. Why did the Japanese decide to accept the Pan Pan girls?
(a) They had had hard lives.
(b) They were fun.
(c) They were there to keep the other girls innocent.
(d) They brought tourists.
14. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Lovers and murderers.
(b) Poets and thinkers.
(c) Judges and hangmen.
(d) Fighters and cowards.
15. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
(a) Their swimming costumes.
(b) Their army uniforms.
(c) Their kimonos.
(d) Their gowns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke celebrate in his poem Funf Gesange?
2. What is Thomas an expert on?
3. By what name was James Morris later called?
4. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
5. What subject at school does the author say Iggy is not good at?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)