|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
2. Who does Germany declare war on on the 1st of August?
3. Who is Emmy dressed as in the picture in Chapter 17 taken in 1900?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(b) Esther Freud.
(c) Anne Boelyn
(d) Judith Danae.
4. What product are people in Vienna most in need of in the autumn of 1914?
5. What do the Austrian people boycott on April 23?
(a) The swimming baths.
(b) Football matches.
(c) Jewish shops.
(d) Hitler's speeches.
6. What is the title of Part 4?
7. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
(a) Vienna and France.
(b) The country and the city.
(c) England and Vienna.
(d) The town and the city.
8. Which of the following phrases were printed in the Japanese-English Conversation Manual?
(a) Blimely, where are we?
(b) Looky here.
(c) Give my love to the queen.
(d) Thank you, awfully.
9. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to his blocked ideas.
(b) The key to his family secrets.
(c) The key to who he is.
(d) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
10. In which city was Viktor born?
11. Which two foreign languages can Emmy speak?
(a) French and English.
(b) Hungarian and Russian.
(c) Dutch and Ukraine.
(d) Chinese and Japanese.
12. What is the nationality of the man who assassinates the Archduke?
13. Why is it seen as dishonorable when Germany invaded Belgium?
(a) It is a neutral country.
(b) It is in poverty.
(c) It supports the Germans.
(d) It has no government.
14. Which country promises to support Austria against the Serbs?
15. What did Tomokazu excel in making?
(a) Netsuke animal figures.
(b) Book covers.
(c) Clay pots.
(d) Origami figures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
2. What was the name of the theater in Tokyo where American soldiers could watch films?
3. What country does Viktor receive a visa for on March 1, 1939?
4. What is the title of Chapter 17?
5. What philosopher did Emmy call a bear with the manners of a bear?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)