|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city was Viktor born?
2. Why kind of parties did Iggy find very boring?
(a) Peep Show parties.
(b) Geisha parties.
(c) Family parties.
(d) Go Go parties.
3. What does Richter and Henker translate to in English?
(a) Judges and hangmen.
(b) Poets and thinkers.
(c) Fighters and cowards.
(d) Lovers and murderers.
4. What was printed on the dial of the English Radio?
(a) The names of capital cities.
(b) The names of German novels.
(c) The names of English singers.
(d) The names of countries.
5. What does the author hope the netsuke will open for him?
(a) The key to Viennese intellectual life.
(b) The key to who he is.
(c) The key to his blocked ideas.
(d) The key to his family secrets.
6. What does the author call the woman cleaning the steps at the Sushi restaurant?
(a) Mrs. Y.
(b) Mrs. X.
(c) Mrs. Yukami.
(d) Miss. Peabody.
7. What is the title of Chapter 27?
(a) Feeling Through the Darkness.
(b) The Tears of Things.
(c) Finding Nothing but Hate.
(d) The Years of Thinking.
8. What Richard Hannay novel does the author reference in this section?
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Thirty Nine Steps.
(d) The Nifle Man.
9. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) Long into the Night.
(b) Beating at the Doors.
(c) The Sweet Young Thing.
(d) Early Hours on a Spring Morning.
10. What was the name of the hit song in Japan in the summer of 1948?
(a) Tokyo Boogie Woogie.
(b) Kyoko Kaps.
(c) The Waltz.
(d) Twist and Shout.
11. What two places does the author say Emmy knows how to live in?
(a) England and Vienna.
(b) The town and the city.
(c) The country and the city.
(d) Vienna and France.
12. What did Iggy visit for the first time in October 1947?
(a) His mother's grave.
(b) The house in Tunbridge Wells.
(c) His father's grave.
(d) His grandchildren.
13. Which South American country declared war on Austria?
14. What did Iggy learn how to sketch at the third rung fashion house?
(c) Female models.
(d) Tea gowns.
15. What is the title of Chapter 34?
(a) On Polish.
(b) Working Through the Mud and Grain.
(c) Laughing Eith the Dead
(d) On a Hatstand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Austrian national anthem?
2. What city does Iggy go to from Paris?
3. What does the author call a vision of heaven at the end of Chapter 15?
4. What did Charles leave Emmy in his will?
5. What did many Japanese men have to wear after the war?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)