|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Charles' nickname?
(a) Waltzing Boy.
(b) Fox Trotter.
(c) Dancing Dave.
(d) Cheeky Charlie.
2. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) The were made to be touched.
(b) Very little time was spent making them.
(c) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
(d) They were unbreakable.
3. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He was too rich to understand.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He wasn't an artist.
(d) He had working class roots.
4. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
(a) He opened a window.
(b) He kissed a gentile woman.
(c) He spilled his coffee.
(d) He ate a sandwich in a train carriage.
5. What does Edmund compare glass cases in museums to?
(c) Show windows.
6. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
(a) His British currency.
(b) His shyness.
(c) His nervous tick.
(d) His accent.
7. What is this the name of the affair that was seen as the peak of anti-Semitism in France?
(a) The Rothschild Affair.
(b) The Dreyfus Affair.
(c) The Zola Affair.
(d) The American Affair.
8. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
(b) Venus in Furs.
9. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
10. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
(a) The English Patient.
(b) The Nuovo Rebeccani.
(c) The lit de parade
(d) The uno la.
11. What pose does Charles hold in Manet's painting?
(a) He is kissing the hand of a young lady.
(b) He is standing up in a boat flexing his muscles.
(c) He is sitting with his back to the painter.
(d) He is lying onthe grass smoking.
12. What was the name of the party Dr. Karl Lueger founded?
(a) The Green Party.
(b) The Nazi Party.
(c) The Christian Social Parts.
(d) The Social National Party.
13. In which famous painting is Charles depicted?
(a) Falling in Love.
(c) Luncheon of he Boating Party.
(d) Venus in Furs.
14. What illness did Jules die from?
(b) Small pox.
15. What country does the author say was like a box of sweets?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 5?
2. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
3. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
4. What were the golden serving dishes shaped like?
5. What were Jews blamed for in the 1880s?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)