|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness did Jules die from?
(a) Small pox.
2. What businessman was given the title of King of the Jews?
(a) James de Rothschild.
(b) Rupert Murdoch.
(c) Joel Coen.
(d) Emile Zola.
3. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
(a) Das Stadt Cafe.
(b) Griensteidl Cafe.
(c) Pembroke Cafe.
(d) Oxford Cafe.
4. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
(a) His shyness.
(b) His nervous tick.
(c) His British currency.
(d) His accent.
5. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
6. What was the name of the party Dr. Karl Lueger founded?
(a) The Nazi Party.
(b) The Green Party.
(c) The Social National Party.
(d) The Christian Social Parts.
7. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He had working class roots.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He was too rich to understand.
(d) He wasn't an artist.
8. What kind of art did Louise and Charles have a shared passion for?
(a) Chinese art.
(b) Russian art.
(c) Jewish art.
(d) Japanese art.
9. Which does the author state the one thing Emmy was very good at?
(a) Telling stories.
(c) Playing golf.
10. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
11. What did Charles give Viktor for a wedding present?
(a) The 267 netsuke.
(b) His estate.
(c) His gold watch.
(d) A Van Gogh painting.
12. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
13. Which of Ignace's children does the author call long-faced and huge-eyed?
14. What painter did Charles help out when he was broke?
(a) Van Gogh.
15. What is the title of Chapter 7?
(a) The Angry Puppy.
(b) The Purple Wig.
(c) The Yellow Armchair.
(d) The Red Pullover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman whose Salon Charles visits?
2. What country did Charles decide to travel to shortly after arriving in Paris?
3. What is the name of Louise's new lover?
4. Who was elected mayor of Vienna in 1897?
5. In which city does Edmund live?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)