|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
(a) Das Stadt Cafe.
(b) Pembroke Cafe.
(c) Griensteidl Cafe.
(d) Oxford Cafe.
2. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
3. Who did Renoir not consider a real artist?
(a) Van Gogh.
4. What was the occupation of Jules Laforgue?
(a) A novelist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A poet.
(d) A lawyer.
5. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) They were unbreakable.
(b) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
(c) Very little time was spent making them.
(d) The were made to be touched.
6. In which art gallery does Monet's Les bains de la Grenouillere now hang?
(b) The Berlin National Gallery.
(c) The London National Gallery.
(d) The Louvre.
7. Which of Ignace's children does the author call long-faced and huge-eyed?
8. Where was Charles' mistress from?
9. What was the name of the party Dr. Karl Lueger founded?
(a) The Green Party.
(b) The Christian Social Parts.
(c) The Social National Party.
(d) The Nazi Party.
10. What pose does Charles hold in Manet's painting?
(a) He is standing up in a boat flexing his muscles.
(b) He is sitting with his back to the painter.
(c) He is lying onthe grass smoking.
(d) He is kissing the hand of a young lady.
11. What were Jews blamed for in the 1880s?
(a) The financial problems.
(b) The plague.
(c) Deaths of children.
(d) The Boer War.
12. What is a vitrine?
(a) An alcoholic drink.
(b) A glass cabinet.
(c) A pair of tweezers.
(d) A netsuke polish.
13. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He was too rich to understand.
(b) He wasn't an artist.
(c) He had working class roots.
(d) He was a Jew.
14. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
15. Who does the Princess regard to be her Mahout?
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What is the name of the woman whose Salon Charles visits?
3. Why was Freud once called a dirty Jew on a train?
4. Who ordered the Ring to be be built?
5. What was the name of the artist that Charles wrote about?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)