|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main export out of Odessa?
2. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) Very little time was spent making them.
(b) They were unbreakable.
(c) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
(d) The were made to be touched.
3. What were the golden serving dishes shaped like?
4. Which of the following painters did Charles correspond with?
(a) Van Gogh.
5. In which art gallery does Monet's Les bains de la Grenouillere now hang?
(a) The London National Gallery.
(b) The Louvre.
(d) The Berlin National Gallery.
6. What is the title of Chapter 5?
(b) Examining the Japnese.
(c) Thoughful Ponderings.
(d) A Box of Children's Sweets.
7. Where did Charles find Jules a job?
8. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He was too rich to understand.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He wasn't an artist.
(d) He had working class roots.
9. What illness did Jules die from?
(b) Small pox.
10. In which Russian city were Jews allowed to live?
(d) St. Petersburg.
11. What does the staircase in the medical insurance office curl up like?
(a) A trail of saliva.
(b) A sleeping python.
(c) A winner's ribbon.
(d) A coil of smoke.
12. Which does the author state the one thing Emmy was very good at?
(a) Playing golf.
(c) Telling stories.
13. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
(b) Venus in Furs.
14. Where were Renoir's portraits of Louise's two daughters exhibited?
(a) The Salon.
(b) The National Gallery.
(c) The Factory.
(d) The Louvre.
15. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
(a) New York.
(b) St. Petersburgh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Charles' brothers was a playboy?
2. Who said he would protect the the Viennese Jews?
3. What is the name of Louise's new lover?
4. What is Edmund"s occupation?
5. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)