|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Princess regard to be her Mahout?
2. What was Charles' nickname?
(a) Dancing Dave.
(b) Cheeky Charlie.
(c) Waltzing Boy.
(d) Fox Trotter.
3. What country did Charles decide to travel to shortly after arriving in Paris?
4. What color eyes does the netsuke hair have?
5. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
(b) New York.
(d) St. Petersburgh.
6. Where was Charles' mistress from?
7. Who did Renoir not consider a real artist?
(a) Van Gogh.
8. What kind of art did Louise and Charles have a shared passion for?
(a) Chinese art.
(b) Russian art.
(c) Jewish art.
(d) Japanese art.
9. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He wasn't an artist.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He had working class roots.
(d) He was too rich to understand.
10. What illness did Jules die from?
(c) Small pox.
11. What is the name of the book Herr Wessel made Viktor translate from English into German?
(a) The Wandering Jew.
(b) The Guiness Book of World Records.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
12. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) The were made to be touched.
(b) Very little time was spent making them.
(c) They were unbreakable.
(d) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
13. What building's ceiling did Baudry decorate?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) The Paris Opera.
(c) The Paris Cathredral.
(d) The Eiffel Tower
14. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
(a) Venus in Furs.
15. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) He Jewish.
(b) He is homosexual.
(c) He is bisexual.
(d) He is an antisemite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What businessman was given the title of King of the Jews?
2. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
3. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
4. What does the staircase in the medical insurance office curl up like?
5. Where does the author say was the best place to buy Japanese art?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)