|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which famous painting is Charles depicted?
(a) Venus in Furs.
(b) Falling in Love.
(d) Luncheon of he Boating Party.
2. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) They were unbreakable.
(b) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
(c) Very little time was spent making them.
(d) The were made to be touched.
3. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
(a) Van Gogh's.
4. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
5. What kind of publication was the gazette?
(a) A monthly mens' magazine.
(b) An art periodical.
(c) A news journal.
(d) A literary journal.
6. What sport did the Jewish students take up to counter anti-Semitic feeling?
7. What was the occupation of Jules Laforgue?
(a) A poet.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A novelist.
(d) A lawyer.
8. What did Charles give Viktor for a wedding present?
(a) His estate.
(b) His gold watch.
(c) The 267 netsuke.
(d) A Van Gogh painting.
9. What does the staircase in the medical insurance office curl up like?
(a) A trail of saliva.
(b) A sleeping python.
(c) A coil of smoke.
(d) A winner's ribbon.
10. What can Edmund envision Charles wearing as he sits in his yellow armchair?
(a) A Chinese dressing gown.
(b) A British sports jacket.
(c) A Japanese robe.
(d) A German smoking jacket.
11. Which of Charles' brothers was a playboy?
12. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
13. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
(a) His British currency.
(b) His shyness.
(c) His accent.
(d) His nervous tick.
14. What was considered a Jewish sin?
(a) Reading the New Testament.
(b) Living in a Ghetto.
(c) Making money from money.
(d) Marrying a gentile.
15. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) He is homosexual.
(b) He is an antisemite.
(c) He is bisexual.
(d) He Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
2. What was the name of the man that Charles brought his netsukes from?
3. What was the main export out of Odessa?
4. What businessman was given the title of King of the Jews?
5. What was the name of the Monet painting Charles convinced his friend to buy?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)