|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
(b) St. Petersburgh.
(c) New York.
2. What was Renoir accused of by his peers?
(a) Inhumane painting.
(b) Painting to order.
(c) Stealing their girlfriends.
3. Who said he would protect the the Viennese Jews?
(a) Josef Stalin.
(b) Karl Lueger.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) Winston Churchill.
4. What building's ceiling did Baudry decorate?
(a) The Paris Opera.
(b) The Eiffel Tower
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Paris Cathredral.
5. Who ordered the Ring to be be built?
(a) Franz Joseph.
(b) Franz Ferdinand.
(c) Adolf Hitler.
(d) Maria Theresa.
6. Where does the author say is the best place out side of Japan to see Japanese art?
7. What country did Charles decide to travel to shortly after arriving in Paris?
8. Which famous person found the Ringstrasse enchanting?
9. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He wasn't an artist.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He had working class roots.
(d) He was too rich to understand.
10. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
11. Why did people say the Japanese created small artwork?
(a) They are small people.
(b) It is part of their tradition.
(c) They had to hide from the authorities.
(d) They like to wear their artwork as necklaces.
12. What is this the name of the affair that was seen as the peak of anti-Semitism in France?
(a) The Dreyfus Affair.
(b) The Rothschild Affair.
(c) The Zola Affair.
(d) The American Affair.
13. What does the author call an art?
(a) House watching.
(b) House sitting.
(c) Autograph hunting.
(d) Star gazing.
14. Who did Renoir not consider a real artist?
(d) Van Gogh.
15. What was Dreyfus accused of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Durer's nationality?
2. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
4. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
5. What is the title of Chapter 4?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)