|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
2. What was the name of the man that Charles brought his netsukes from?
3. Who said he would protect the the Viennese Jews?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Josef Stalin.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) Karl Lueger.
4. Where does the author say is the best place out side of Japan to see Japanese art?
5. Why did people say the Japanese created small artwork?
(a) They are small people.
(b) They had to hide from the authorities.
(c) It is part of their tradition.
(d) They like to wear their artwork as necklaces.
6. What sport did the Jewish students take up to counter anti-Semitic feeling?
7. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
8. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
9. Where in Vienna was Viktor"s mansion located?
10. What color eyes does the netsuke hair have?
11. What can Edmund envision Charles wearing as he sits in his yellow armchair?
(a) A Chinese dressing gown.
(b) A British sports jacket.
(c) A German smoking jacket.
(d) A Japanese robe.
12. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He was too rich to understand.
(b) He had working class roots.
(c) He was a Jew.
(d) He wasn't an artist.
13. What was the name of the writer who famously supported Dreyfus?
14. What is the title of Chapter 5?
(a) A Box of Children's Sweets.
(b) Thoughful Ponderings.
(d) Examining the Japnese.
15. What was Renoir accused of by his peers?
(a) Stealing their girlfriends.
(b) Inhumane painting.
(d) Painting to order.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building's ceiling did Baudry decorate?
2. Who ordered the Ring to be be built?
3. What were Jews blamed for in the 1880s?
4. Which of Charles' brothers was a playboy?
5. What was the name of the area in Paris the Ephrussi family moved to?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)