|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
2. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
(a) To take over the government.
(b) To become artists.
(c) To marry and be successful.
(d) To create a Jewish state.
3. Where were Renoir's portraits of Louise's two daughters exhibited?
(a) The Salon.
(b) The Louvre.
(c) The Factory.
(d) The National Gallery.
4. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
(a) Griensteidl Cafe.
(b) Das Stadt Cafe.
(c) Pembroke Cafe.
(d) Oxford Cafe.
5. Which modern art movement did Charles most admire?
6. Which of Charles' engravings does Edmund wonder if visitors to his house saw?
(a) The English Patient.
(b) The Nuovo Rebeccani.
(c) The lit de parade
(d) The uno la.
7. What was Dreyfus accused of?
8. What kind of background did Wessell say a person should have to understand history better?
(a) A liberal background.
(b) A fascist background.
(c) A socialist background.
(d) A language background.
9. What publication does Charles write for?
(a) The Gazette.
(b) The Journal.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Guardian.
10. What is this the name of the affair that was seen as the peak of anti-Semitism in France?
(a) The Rothschild Affair.
(b) The Dreyfus Affair.
(c) The Zola Affair.
(d) The American Affair.
11. What was the name of the prison Dreyfus was sent to live in solitary confinement?
(b) Devil's Island.
(c) Port Island.
12. Where was Charles' mistress from?
13. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
(d) Van Gogh's.
14. What was the name of the artist that Charles wrote about?
(a) Albert Durer.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) Peter Piper.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
15. What country does the author say was like a box of sweets?
Short Answer Questions
1. What pose does Charles hold in Manet's painting?
2. What does the author call an art?
3. Who said he would protect the the Viennese Jews?
4. In which city did Viktor live?
5. What can Edmund envision Charles wearing as he sits in his yellow armchair?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)