|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Jews blamed for in the 1880s?
(a) The financial problems.
(b) Deaths of children.
(c) The plague.
(d) The Boer War.
2. What material were the netsuke rates made from?
3. Which of Ignace's children does the author call long-faced and huge-eyed?
4. What was the name of the prison Dreyfus was sent to live in solitary confinement?
(a) Devil's Island.
(d) Port Island.
5. In which city did Viktor live?
6. What can Edmund envision Charles wearing as he sits in his yellow armchair?
(a) A British sports jacket.
(b) A German smoking jacket.
(c) A Japanese robe.
(d) A Chinese dressing gown.
7. What was the only place in the world that had a bigger population of Jews than Vienna?
(a) St. Petersburgh.
(c) New York.
8. In which city does Edmund live?
9. What was the name of the area in Paris the Ephrussi family moved to?
(a) Le Eastend.
(b) Le Novo.
(c) Le Westend.
(d) Le Fink.
10. What publication does Charles write for?
(a) The Guardian.
(b) The Gazette.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Journal.
11. Whose work did Renoir call Jew Art?
(c) Van Gogh's.
12. What kind of background did Wessell say a person should have to understand history better?
(a) A socialist background.
(b) A fascist background.
(c) A liberal background.
(d) A language background.
13. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) The were made to be touched.
(b) Very little time was spent making them.
(c) They were unbreakable.
(d) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
14. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
15. Who was elected mayor of Vienna in 1897?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Karl Lueger.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Franz Ferdinant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Durer's nationality?
2. What is the title of Chapter 5?
3. Who said he would protect the the Viennese Jews?
4. What can Charles not get rid of while in Parisian society?
5. What is this the name of the affair that was seen as the peak of anti-Semitism in France?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)