|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Edmund"s occupation?
2. What was the name of the cafe that was the meeting point for young writers?
(a) Das Stadt Cafe.
(b) Oxford Cafe.
(c) Griensteidl Cafe.
(d) Pembroke Cafe.
3. Which Proust character was Charles said to be the model for?
4. What building's ceiling did Baudry decorate?
(a) The Paris Cathredral.
(b) The Louvre.
(c) The Eiffel Tower
(d) The Paris Opera.
5. What was expected of Viktor and his friends?
(a) To create a Jewish state.
(b) To take over the government.
(c) To become artists.
(d) To marry and be successful.
6. What was the name of the artist that Charles wrote about?
(a) Adolf Hitler.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) Albert Durer.
(d) Peter Piper.
7. Why did Renoir say Charles was drawn to gaudy colors?
(a) He wasn't an artist.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He had working class roots.
(d) He was too rich to understand.
8. Who was elected mayor of Vienna in 1897?
(a) Franz Ferdinant.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Karl Lueger.
9. What is the title of Chapter 4?
(a) A Penny Store.
(b) The Start of The Super Store.
(c) So Light, So Soft to the Touch.
(d) A Penny For Your Thought.
10. What painter did Charles help out when he was broke?
(b) Van Gogh.
11. In which famous painting is Charles depicted?
(a) Luncheon of he Boating Party.
(b) Falling in Love.
(d) Venus in Furs.
12. What was the name of Viktor's wife?
13. How does Edmund say the netsuke were different from most other art pieces?
(a) The were made to be touched.
(b) They were unbreakable.
(c) Very little time was spent making them.
(d) They could only be viewed under a microscope.
14. What material were the netsuke rates made from?
15. What rumors are going around about Charles at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) He is bisexual.
(b) He is an antisemite.
(c) He Jewish.
(d) He is homosexual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the prison Dreyfus was sent to live in solitary confinement?
2. In which city does Hotel Ephrussi have its counterpart?
3. What did Charles give Viktor for a wedding present?
4. What is the name of Louise's new lover?
5. What country does the author say was like a box of sweets?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)