|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Commander rank, according to Ofglen?
2. What group of people is Offred surprised to see at Jezebel’s?
3. Why would Offred not have made her story public?
4. What did Jews have the option of doing, according to Chapter 12?
5. According to Chapter 15, in which state was Offred most likely located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the professor describe Nick’s role?
2. How does Offred characterize the spring, particularly May?
3. What is the condition that Nick sets forth for Offred in Chapter 13?
4. Why is Nick becoming a significant character by Chapter 11?
5. Why is Ofglen’s question about Soul Scrolls subversive?
6. What might Offred expect after being taken?
7. In Chapter 9, what is new about the way Offred reads the message on her wall?
8. What is Serena’s reaction to the cape in Chapter 14?
9. What has happened to former nuns?
10. Why does Serena Joy think that Offred ‘might as well’ sleep with Nick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilead is a strict hierarchical society. Describe the hierarchy of Gilead, and give descriptions of various characters we encounter in “The Handmaid’s Tale” and how they fit into the hierarchy. Why is this hierarchy necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Though a young society, Gilead already has a number of its own rituals. Pick one ritual or ceremony and describe any links to real-world events that you can find. What roots did Gilead draw upon in inventing this ceremony? What is its social function and significance?
Essay Topic 3
In his speech at the end of the book, the professor gives several real-world links to Gilead. What contemporary society or issues do you see mirrored in Gilead? Take one real-life example and compare and contrast it with the society in the book.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)