|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ofglen start to think about Offred in Chapter 14?
2. What is the small thing that Serena Joy offers Offred in Chapter 12?
3. What does Offred remember most about the documentary?
4. Why can Offred believe Nick in Chapter 15?
5. How old is Offred?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do women come to work at Jezebel’s?
2. Why does Serena Joy think that Offred ‘might as well’ sleep with Nick?
3. How does Offred react when she is taken in Chapter 15?
4. What is the condition that Nick sets forth for Offred in Chapter 13?
5. What has happened to former nuns?
6. What happened to Luke, according to the professor?
7. Why is Nick becoming a significant character by Chapter 11?
8. What is the rumor about how Janine got pregnant?
9. According to the professor in Chapter 15, what might have happened to Offred?
10. Why does the Commander offer Offred a gift in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the novel is rich in description, Offred actually spends a significant amount of time doing nothing. Examine the significance of ‘waiting’ in the context of the novel. When does Offred wait, and for what? How is this important?
Essay Topic 2
Each role in the novel has a particular color associated with it – red for Handmaids, blue for Wives, and so on. Why are these colors important? Examine the importance and symbolism of various colors throughout the book, tying them to characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
Women and their roles play an overwhelming part in “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Is this a feminist work? In what ways might it be considered feminist? Are there indications that it may not be, as well?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)