|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ofglen and Offred go together in Chapter 12?
2. How did Offred make her documentation?
3. What does Offred not want to be heard doing in Chapter 9?
4. Who does the professor think is the most likely candidate for Offred’s Commander?
5. What is the small thing that Serena Joy offers Offred in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the professor describe Nick’s role?
2. What is the most likely explanation for the Wife’s presence in the Salvaging?
3. What form do Offred's prayers take in Chapter 11?
4. Why does the Commander offer Offred a gift in Chapter 10?
5. What are Offred's plans in Chapter 9?
6. Why is the concentration camp documentary important?
7. Why does Serena Joy think that Offred ‘might as well’ sleep with Nick?
8. What happened to Luke, according to the professor?
9. Where does Offred take the new Ofglen in Chapter 14? Why?
10. Why is Ofglen’s question about Soul Scrolls subversive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Offred writes about having taken certain things for granted in her earlier life. Write an essay in which you discuss which things in particular she took for granted, and why. What are some things which she always valued, by contrast?
Essay Topic 2
Three subversive women – Ofglen, Moira, and Offred’s mother – appear in the novel. Compare and contrast them and their ultimate fates. How are they similar and different, and how does this end up affecting their outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
Women and their roles play an overwhelming part in “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Is this a feminist work? In what ways might it be considered feminist? Are there indications that it may not be, as well?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)