|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Offred think the message in her room is in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 4, what word does the doctor use that shocks Offred?
3. What did the dormitory used to be?
4. Why was the narrator stressed around Moira in Chapter 3?
5. What stuffed animal did Offred’s daughter take with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what context does Offred see an Econowife?
2. In Chapter 6, how does the Commander pray?
3. What is the narrator’s attitude towards her audience, at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What is wrong with how Offred kisses the Commander, in his view?
5. In Chapter 7, where does Offred think that Luke really is?
6. In Chapter 4, What does the message in Offred’s room say?
7. What is the role of the Marthas?
8. How does the narrator feel about the Commander’s House in Chapter 2? Describe her surroundings as well as her reactions to them.
9. Why does the narrator start thinking about Moira at night in Chapter 3?
10. What happened to Serena Joy that was traumatic in her earlier life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Offred leaves the novel on a deliberately ambiguous note. If the novel were to continue, what would her next chapter look like? Use the ‘professor’s’ speech from the end notes as the basis for your fictionalized version.
Essay Topic 2
Offred finds comfort, and eventually salvation, through her relationship with Nick. How is Nick characterized? Why is he important? Compare/contrast him with the character of Luke.
Essay Topic 3
In his speech at the end of the book, the professor gives several real-world links to Gilead. What contemporary society or issues do you see mirrored in Gilead? Take one real-life example and compare and contrast it with the society in the book.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)