|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what word does the doctor use that shocks Offred?
2. What do the guards in Chapter 1 have that nobody else does?
3. What color is Offred’s bathroom?
4. What is strange about the blankets at the center in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 7, what did the gravestone have engraved on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tone do the women take with Janine?
2. What is wrong with how Offred kisses the Commander, in his view?
3. How does the Commander act before and during the ceremony in Chapter 6?
4. If Luke is dead in Chapter 7, what happened to him?
5. Why does the narrator start thinking about Moira at night in Chapter 3?
6. How is Offred’s role different from that of the Commander’s Wife?
7. If Luke is in jail in Chapter 7, what happened to him?
8. What does Offred do after exercising in Chapter 5?
9. Why is the narrator in the setting at the opening of the novel?
10. If Luke is free in Chapter 7, what happened to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilead might seem to be a cold and terrifying society at first glance. Explore the basis of this society. What came before, and what were the factors that caused Gilead to arise? How has it organized itself, and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 2
Offred finds comfort, and eventually salvation, through her relationship with Nick. How is Nick characterized? Why is he important? Compare/contrast him with the character of Luke.
Essay Topic 3
Moira spurns the conventions of Gilead in a variety of ways. How is Moira a subversive character? Discuss her relationship with Offred, as well as the possibilities that her character hints at. How can we interpret her final job, working at Jezebel’s?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)